- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 17 Alien

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 17 Alien

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: 500 X 17 Alien Reply with quote

Ok, here's another one. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this.

No artist listed. Found at: Free Fantasy Pictures.
http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/fantasy-pictures-8.html
Home Page: http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/free-pictures.html

shadowlight

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Psychiatry (WC 500) Reply with quote

Ok, this isn't my best piece, but I couldn't stand to see the prompt go to waste. Wink Basically freewrite, but I had fun. Thanks for taking a look.

shadowlight

Psychiatry
© Marlicia Fernandez (WC 500) 5-19-06

“Your eyes are growing heavy. You’re becoming sleepy…sleepy.”

Carlo rested his hands on his chest and looked at his doctor and nurse. Both seemed to loom over him. “But I don’t want to sleep. Every time I do, it happens again.”

The doctor’s mustache twitched above his upper lip as he talked. “You want to discover the truth, don’t you?”

Carlo took a deep breath and nodded.

“Then watch the crystal. The only way to help you is to determine the cause of your nightmares. Nurse, set the crystal swinging, if you will.”

The crystal moved back and forth. Fuzziness enveloped Carol’s brain. His vision blurred. He began to drift. Panic rose within him when he saw the light. Not again. Every time he saw the light, they came. Words floated into his consciousness.

“Carlo, don’t be afraid. We’re right here with you. Tell us what you see.”

Slight pressure on his arm reassured him and Carlo tried to look into the light. “Nothing yet.”

Unreasonable hope surged within him. Maybe they wouldn’t show…those monsters of his imagination. Maybe they’d had enough and would go to find an easier victim. That very faint hope eased his mind a little, but somewhere part of him chided him. After all, he’d come to be helped, freed from his terrifying nightmares. If the monsters didn’t show, how could the doctor help?

The question became moot when two figures stepped into the light. Sweat beaded on Carlo’s brow. His heart raced. He tried to swallow and could not. Why wouldn’t they wake him up?

“Carlo, stay with us. Tell us what you see.”

With great effort, Carlo pulled himself together. The images clarified and he thought he would be sick. “They’re bipedal,” he whispered. “And they have two limbs with little twigs sprouting from the ends sticking out of the sides of their bodies, about a third of the way down. They have no tails.” He took a deep breath and took another look. “The each have a small head covered with what looks like string and they’re covered almost from head to foot in some sort of flowing material.”

Carlo tried to back away from the couple. “They’re coming for me. Wake me up. Wake me up!”

“In a moment,” his doctor said. “Tell us more.”

“They’re speaking.” Carlo swallowed hard. “But I don’t understand what they are saying. The smaller holds something shiny in front of me. It ticks.” He shuddered. “It’s swinging, just like your crystal.”

“Wake him up.”

Carlo opened his eyes. Relief swept through him when he looked around. He rested in his shallow bed, a shovel planted in the ground beside it, ready for his proper interment. His doctor and nurse looked down at him. The crystal still arced gently in her fingers. They didn’t look at all happy. “What were they? What does it mean?”

“They ‘re our worst fears. Human psychiatrists trying to enter our world and destroy us before we can damage theirs.”

[end]

Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The storyteller had found a nice quiet plot to have rest in and here came the two watchers from the edge of infinity to pester him once more. He wished when he had written them into being that he had not gifted them with the ability to travel quite so far and quite so fast. Perhaps if he pretended he was in a hibernation cycle they would leave.
No they had one of those darn Resurrect Lights with them for just that eventuality. God, but weren't the omniscient a bore? He supposed that was how they'd found him in the first place. He'd left his pen in the office so he couldn't edit this.
'Sir?' said the first of the watchers.
'Yes?' he replied, licking the dirt off his lips.
'You are needed?'
'Oh, yes? What for?'
'An unscheduled supernova has obliterated the Elphasee.'
'Um, you mean the saviours of that particular reality?'
'Yes.'
'Damn, give me a second to wake up properly and we better get going. Obliterated you say?'
'Yes, like bugs on a windshield.'
'Thank you, UB, no poetry is necessary.'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: