- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Rocco’s Place by Harry Buschman

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rocco’s Place by Harry Buschman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Rocco’s Place by Harry Buschman Reply with quote

Harry, this is so good. I loved it! As always, I can lose myself in your writing...bury the analytical thoughts and just follow the story. Where is this? Are these New York street people? When did you write it? How long and how many revisions?

Linda
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda

There's a whole school of tramp literature – Waiting for Godot, The Threepenny Opera and right on up to Sweeney Todd. I've always been interested in it, I am, after all, a child of the depression where people like Rocco and Carlo lived in shacks by the freight yards in Brooklyn. They would kill each other for their possession and put their bodies in an empty outgoing freight where they wouldn't be discovered until the train was west of Chicago.

This is a first draft. I sent it to the UK site in Great Britain where it got very enthusiastic reviews. I thought the dialect would throw them, but it didn't.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great Harry. Truly good!!!
dkneip
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Harry,

I'm enjoying these shorter stories of yours quite a bit. There's an old saying in screenwriting: "Get in the scene as late as possible, and get out as soon as possible."

Your writing now reminds me of this and the work is most effective.

Question: do you prefer writing these snapshots moreso than the 2-3-4 page stories? There is much for both writer and reader to love in each version, but the end result is the same with either style: we are always left wanting more.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the process is similar, but the flash fiction style is leaner and usually leaves the reader feeling he’s come into the story too late. Something happened before he arrived. The ending usually catches the reader unaware – as though maybe there’s a page or two yet to come that didn’t get bound in with the story. If there’s only one character it’s easier to do in 1st person singular, otherwise there’s a tendency to over narrate. A cast of two makes things easier, the writer can rely on dialogue to tell the story.

Faulkner considered short stories almost as hard to write as poetry and the novel the easiest of all. Flash fiction is harder than short stories to write.

I have a natural weakness towards being verbose, and flash fiction pulls me up short. I think “Looking at New Jersey” is very successful in this regard ... just enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: