- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Object

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Object

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Object Reply with quote

Write a 500-word story about the image you see…

Last edited by Clive on Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for the Bell

The story was slow in coming. I threw out almost all the ideas I had in the beginning and kept only three. The description of the main character, the scene in the park and the description of the weather.

I let these three images circulate in the fertile chambers of the left side of my brain. I could almost see them there -- three little globules of inspiration, drifting aimlessly in the rich soup of creativity.

They may float in that volatile mix for days or weeks, then something will happen. I will see something; hear a word perhaps -- who knows. Whatever it may be will stimulate me -- start the juices flowing and one thing will lead to another.

One thing I know, and that is if I keep them together and if I don’t lose track of them, they will be there when I want them. The little impetus of creativity will wrap itself around these three little images and the story will grow.

In the meantime they will be on my mind awake or asleep. They will haunt my dreams and occupy my waking mind.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

History of Earth

David Rothman

And there was light, a big yellow light, and that was strange, for the light could have been any color, yet yellow was chosen. The strange yellow light illuminated the world, penetrated through the water that covered much of the world, and imparted its energy to the wet chemicals it struck. A fishy looking man emerged from the slop.

The man had many problems as soon as he came to land. First, his brain wasn't pure, not pure in the sense of being moral, but in the sense that it was crazy and confused. Second, he was alone, so he had nobody to discuss things with, nor were there others who could produce things that he could buy. He was so crazy, he wasn't sure if silence or the lack of shopping centers was worse.

Third, fourth, fifth . . . he had innumerable problems, too many to mention in a short time. One problem forever haunted him. Everything else was trivial compared to that problem.

He was an optimist, and even though the problem haunted him, he knew things would get better. Certainly, a mate would come along, he would multiply, machines would be invented, and the earth would be transformed from sluge and dirt to teeming metropolises -- with shopping centers, huge shopping centers.

But his optimism was tempered by the problem that seemed to have no solution. He stared at the three bubbles that seemed always to be near him.

The bubbles hold the answer, he thought. Within that trinity is the answer to why I am here. To life! The more he thought of life, the more the answer eluded him, the more pessimestic he became, and the more the question became a problem.

While searching for the answer, he fell into a black hole of despiar, and he would have remained there forever, confused and unhappy, had the yellow light not again shined upon his soul and transformed his despair into submission.

That afternoon, he found the largest shopping center in the city where he lived. "I'll take two of those, one of those, . . ."

Last edited by DaveR on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Walking on the Sun (WC 500) Reply with quote

I can't believe I missed this prompt. It's awesome (I actually ran across it first in the photos section Clive set up). Anyway, hopefully, better late than never. LOL

I had fun with this...completely freewrite.

shadowlight

Walking on the Sun
©Marlicia Fernandez (WC 500) 11-10-06

“Are things really that bad?” Rala relaxed back into the waves of heat, allowing the warmth to energize and rejuvenate her. “Has there been more news?”

Karnak slid into the pool beside her, letting tension seep out into the churning waves. If only all difficulties could be so easily solved. “It’s official. We are to prepare for complete evacuation of citizens and data within a fortnight.”

“So quickly?” Rala’s normally smoldering eyes burned red with alarm. The current churned in response. “Will that be enough time?”

“It will have to be.”

She stared at the black vault surrounding them. In the distance stars winked mockery at her concerns, reveling in how the mighty would fall. “Where will we go? Surely not to any of our satellites? They would be too small.”

“And too cold,” Karnak agreed. “Besides, none but the farthest will remain when our home is gone.”

Unusual cloud cover caught Rava’s attention. Suspicion blossomed in her heart, suggesting the impossible. “The mists aren’t an effect of our homeland’s decay, is it? “

He reached for the hand graced by his ring. “Important personnel left weeks ago, just after our explorers returned. The mists are those who despaired and tried to leave without proper authorization. Evaporation is a quick death.”

“Those poor …” Chills raced through her, stealing her enjoyment of the molten flow. “The leadership abandoned us?”

“To begin building our new world for our arrival. We don’t know if they ever made their destination.”

Great tongues of flame spurted into the air before being sucked into the surface. Rapid cooling slowed the waves, sending steam into the surrounding space. Rava and Karnak scrambled out and stumbled away from the bath before it could hold them fast.

“It’s beginning,” he said.”

“When do we leave?” Rava asked.

Karnak took both her hands in his own. “We don’t. Tickets for transport went by lottery.

We lost.”

The last ships shot through flames that once kept a solar system in balance, but could no longer warm the nearest planet or itself.

Rava shivered as the temperature dropped. “What lottery?”

“A secret lottery,” Karnak said. “Everyone’s names were put into a great pot and the winners pulled by Chance.”

“The sorting machine?”

Karnak nodded. “Those chosen were notified hours before their departure.”

“And the suicides?”

“Citizens who’d learned the truth, but couldn’t accept it.”

“And so were punished.” The mist began to thicken and their feet began to stick as they walked. Panicked voices grew louder as the populace realized they’d been lied to. Rava slowed, not wanting to join the chaotic throng. “Why didn’t you take your flight?”

“I didn’t have...” Karnak sighed. “How did you know?”

“Did you think you could keep it from me? She smiled and slipped her arm through his. “I saw the ticket on hall table. I didn’t know what it was, then.”

“Would you have done differently?”

She shook her head.

Karnak steered her away from the town. “Let’s take one last walk across our Sun.”

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I loved this little snippet. It sounds almost as if you were musing to yourself adn it was interesting to be along for the ride. I hope the elements do come together for you so that we can reap the benefits of reading another one of your wonderful stories.

Dave,

This poor man. He's lonely and confused even if he is an optimist. Then as things continue to go nowhere fast he begins to be pessimistic until the wonderful sun hits him and he finds a shopping mall...but he better take a shower if he wants to have any chance of finding a special someone (or even a casual acquaintance to spend some time with). LOL

I wouldn't have thought of either of these stories in a million years.

Well done. Smile

shadowlight

Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlicia, this is really good. Actually, when I read your response to Harry, I thought he had wrote the piece. Your writing is truly getting gooder and gooder! Smile
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,

Thanks for taking a look and for your kind words. You couldn't have given me a better compliment than saying you thought Harry wrote it. Smile Have you ever heard the song "Walking on the Sun" by Smash Mouth? The title was the inspiration for this piece in a way. I knew what the picture was, but I also knew what it reminded me of. The title of the song was too coincidental to resist. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think maybe I'd like to tweak it a bit and see what happens.

Thanks again, Linda. You made my day.

marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: