- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 45 Keep Out

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 45 Keep Out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: 500 X 45 Keep Out Reply with quote

Here you go. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for this one.

Free use info: Feel free to use my images for non-commercial digital (web etc.) projects as long as you give me credit by displaying © Hungaro 1997 - 2006. A reference link (http://www.hungaro.us) to my blog would be an extra bonus, but is not a necessity.
http://www.hungaro.us/archives/2006/02/keep_out_of_the_sun.html

BTW, Linda says she is reading in bits and pieces but is too busy at the moment to post.

Have fun. Wink

shadowlight

Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The airport began to empty. The airplane became a little point in the sky and after a while it disappeared entirely in numerous clouds. Lisa was standing in the viewing area, looking at the place where the airplane vanished.

Tom couldn’t see her here before his departure; he was too busy with saying goodbye to his wife and his daughter. Lisa couldn’t deny that it was a lovely family picture to see though, she noticed mockingly, Tom and his wife didn’t fit one another.
Tom was a handsome man with a charming smile, and his wife made rather a bad impression…
But Lisa reproached herself for the pettiness and reprimanded herself, “I’m terribly jealous of the grey mouse, that’s all.”

But the awareness didn’t improve her mood. She was wondering why she came here and what she planned to do with her stupid love and the terrbile longing.
Yesterday Tom invited his co-workers to a little official party to say to them goodbye. He had just got a contract on another continent, which meant that she would see him again in the office in two years’ time.
Hah! She was expected to survive two years without seeing him almost every day, and without any message, or letter, or call from him.
Lisa came to like her boss. He was always very kind to her, and always had a free time to listen to her problems. Of course, the problems concerned only their business, but it didn’t matter at all...

“Come on, Lisa! Stop hiding it from herself at last. You love him and your world is just collapsing…”her inner voice was implacable.

She took the lift to go down and made her way towards a bus stop. She sat down on a long bench between a mustached man and a teenager , looking out for her bus.

“Mom, I don’t want my daddy to fly off!” a little girl settled herself on the bench very close to Lisa.

Lisa moved over a bit and turned away to smile to the girl, but her smile disappeared suddenly on her face when she noticed this child’s mother who sat down between her and the child.

“Don’t worry, Kate. Your daddy will call you tonight. He promised it to you. You know that he always keeps his promises…” Tom’s wife did her best to hold back her tears.

Lisa felt uncomfortable. She dreamed to vanish into thin air. She couldn’t stand the sadness of the woman and her little daughter. She felt like a culprit or another mean creature.
Tom’s wife was so close to her that Lisa could feel her perfume. The woman gave her child a cuddle, and Lisa feared to move not to disturb their despair and not to violate the intimate barrier…

J. Cool
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a born romantic, Jolanta. Three women loving the same man – for different reasons but with the same fervor and intensity. Lucky guy. Nice little piece, with a fine moralistic twist at the end.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Thank you, Harry, for reading my piece.
Oh, boy! It's good that the man didn't have more daughters...

Jolanta Very Happy
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oyster Bay

Harry Buschman

This dock; It gives me the chills. When I was young I used to come here and work all summer for the Phipps and the Vanderbilts. Their yachts were anchored about a mile out there in the bay. This was America's Gold Coast – our "Cote d'Azur." We couldn't wait for school to be over and we could get a job as cabin boy or cook's helper or whatever, just so we could spend the summer on one of those yachts out in the bay.

The water was clear and clean then, it had that fresh fish saline smell whether the tide was low or high. You could lean over the side and see the bottom in twenty feet of water. You could eat whatever you caught, and even Mr. and Mrs. Vanderbilt ate the striped bass we caught fishing off the end of the dock.

We'd get their attention in the early summer by being on hand when the Vanderbilts arrived at the dock, their private tender would be waiting to ferry them out to their yacht. Sometimes they'd need a hand getting in, or help with their luggage. They'd have guests with them – they never traveled without guests, Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford, Enrico Caruso. Everybody had a kind word for us.

Out of the blue, Marshall Field III or Harry Guggenheim or William K, Vanderbilt himself would say, "Hey there son, like a steady job for the summer? Know anything about carrying a tray of drinks on a slippery deck?" and before you knew it we were a part of the crew. We'd travel to places we never dreamed of going to ... like Nassau, Cuba and Jamaica. Never a thought for tomorrow. Life was 'easy go'.

It's all gone now. A lifetime ago. That's why I said it gives me the chills when I think back to what this place used to be. Look at it now ... look at it! The power company uses the dock to anchor their empty oil barges – there's a thick coating of oil from the high tide level to the low. Even the gulls don't hang out any more. The yachts are gone and so are the magnificent estates that lined the bay. The money is gone – the easy money of railroads through the west, of gold strikes and undeclared wealth.

I know it's a mistake to judge the quality of a country by the treasure of its upper class, but it occurs to me that even if I were a flounder or a crab, I would wonder what has gone wrong with Oyster Bay.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

your story is something more than another short story only. It sounds like a warning to future generations.
The beginning is very nostalgic, but the end is rather sad.
I had to see the Oyster Bay in the Internet to read some information about it.
There are many such changed places in the world, I guess.
The last sentence is very telling.

J.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Psychology (WC 500) Reply with quote

Psychology
© Marlicia Fernandez 12-3-06 (WC 500)

I love you, but you’re stupid. How could you be so insensitive? Finally I had to take action. It was easy enough to arrange, the phone call. The tickets.

You thought you’d won a prize; a dream date at the most cutting edge establishment on the docks – before it officially opened. All you had to do was ask me and could have been different .

You didn’t.

I can’t say I’m surprised. That little blonde Lolita hooked you the day she bumped into you on campus, all her books tumbling to the ground in a heap.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t see,” she said, fluttering her long lashes. “So clumsy of me.”

And you melted like butter in a fry pan. Please… Can’t you see how wrong she is for you?

Not like me.

I’ve watched you for so long and I know everything about you; the way you walk, the way you talk, the way you excel on the playing field. I know your likes and dislikes and I know your smile could light a room in the dead of night.

You’re not smiling now.

Neither is she.

Tears form ugly black mascara blotches under her eyes and on her face. Now she looks like what she is ugly. Only ugly women must steal men.

You don’t seem to care what she looks like. You try to comfort her with your eyes. That angers me. Not that you care. But you will. It’s all about psychology, you know.

Shadows flit in the dim warehouse. Lantern light traps dust motes in pale beams. They trap you too, sitting bound in your chairs.

I can feel your confusion and fear heavy in the dank air. I’m glad. You deserve to suffer. I could have made you very happy.

You never noticed me.

Your blonde bimbo’s cries have faded to whimpers. That’s good. Now we can begin. You don’t have to worry. I’m not going to hurt you. You’re just going to help me with a little experiment. If it works, everyone will be happy. But first I have to separate you from Blondie with this curtain and put on your headphones. I can’t allow you to be distracted or everything will be ruined.

You really shouldn’t struggle. I know you don’t want me to resort to the needle again.

There, that’s finished. Now for the images. They will remind you of the truth and of what you must do. When you’re finished, find me. I will make you happier than she ever could. Just remember to get rid of her body. I don’t want anyone destroying our joy.

I adjust the metal sign on its chain across the pier.

Restricted area. Authorized personnel only. Keep out.

It’s perfect. No one will disturb my experiment or my all-American boy hero when he does what must be done. Soon we’ll be together always. She will be out of the picture and we won’t need any signs telling others to keep out.

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolanta,

I have to agree with Harry. You are indeed a romantic at heart. It seems that Lisa loves her boss from afar...sort of like what I imagine the chivalry of long ago to have been like. I love her thoughts at the end. She seems a kind woman.

Well done.

Harry,

This is a wonderful, slice of life snippet and I love it. It sounds like the narrator has very fond memories of the days gone by has perhaps judged the past and present together and found the present wanting, if only a little.

Quote:
I know it's a mistake to judge the quality of a country by the treasure of its upper class, but it occurs to me that even if I were a flounder or a crab, I would wonder what has gone wrong with Oyster Bay.
I love this line. And I really enjoyed this.

marlicia
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really got yourself worked up over this one, Marlicia. It's a stunning bit of monologue and it brings to mind "The Three Faces of Eve," and all those other mono-maniac anti-heroines of the past. Bulls-eye!
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I guess I did at that. Wink

Thanks for getting to this so quickly and for your kind words. I'm glad you liked it. I remember watching The Three Faces of Eve, but can't remember if that was the one with Joanne Woodward or not (I watched Sybil too and get them mixed up. I'll have to watch them again.)

I couldn't really think of anything upbeat and happy for this prompt and this is what came out, LOL. I wonder what that says about me? LOL

Thanks again for reading.

marlicia

Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlicia,

this story is quite different; different form, and different subject, and different mood, and different structure of sentences.
It is very well read. I could feel the nerve over the whole story. I love the interrupted monologue.
Very original.

J. Smile
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolanta,

Thanks for taking a look and for your kind words. They are much appreciated as always. For some reason I seem to be writing a little bit darker at the moment. Not sure why that is, but I hope it makes for a nice change for readers. Wink

I'm happy you think it read well and that you enjoyed the interrupted monologue.

Thanks so much,
marlicia

Psychoreader
Poster Pro

Location: Trapped in my own imagination... and wherever it may take me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolanta --

I like this story. Hopefully she can get over him and meet someone who will care for her who is free. Lisa doesn't seem like a BAD person, after all...

Harry --

Nice story. Can't really add anything to Shadowlight and Jolanta's comments, however...

Shadowlight --

This was an amazing story. I would have had trouble getting anything out of that picture myself and you grabbed something Twilight Zone-ish. I really enjoyed this post.

Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think, Psychoreader, that it is so easy for any young woman to find a nice and wise free man? Very Happy
Lisa isn’t a bad woman. Lisa is a normal woman…

Jolanta Smile
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychoreader,

Thanks for taking a look at my story and for your kind words. I'm sure you could have done something with it if you didn't have exams breathing down your neck. Now that you're free, I look forward to reading your work again. Wink

shadowlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: