- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 47 Garden

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 47 Garden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: 500 X 47 Garden Reply with quote

Hello, everyone. I'm sorry I'm a little late with this, but circumstances beyond my control intervened. Anyway, I hope you enjoy and I look forward to your response.

Pertinent informtion below:

http://www.imageafter.com/image.php?image=b8architecture_exteriors265.jpg
Image*After is a large online free photo collection. You can download and use any image or texture from our site and use it in your own work, either personal or commercial.

Have fun...
shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas Without Charlie

Harry Buschman

"The kids are going back to school in the morning." She didn't know why the words slipped out. There was no one around to hear them – no one but herself that is. "Strange ... it seems like you're still here ... there, I did it again." It would be good to pick up the routine of getting the kids off to school and getting herself to work again, it's hard to forget when one person is missing.

She wondered how many Christmases would come and go before she could forget Charlie. She stepped outside on the patio and let the door close softly behind her – how warm it was. Winter would be late this year.

She and the kids took the Christmas lights down this morning. She wound them carefully, so that come next year they would be ready for hanging again; Charlie always did that, he was always thinking ahead. Paying off the mortgage. Making sure the insurance was paid up ... "You never know," he would say. "It's best to be ready." It wasn't a bad Christmas, the kids had plenty to do, the neighbors were nice and Charlie's parents came over on Christmas day. They had that questioning look in their eyes ... "I wonder if she'll marry again ... maybe move away from here ... maybe this is the last Christmas we'll ever see the kids."

It was so warm this Christmas; the grass was still green ... no snow, and there was still a few dead roses, the yellow ones – clinging to the rambler bush by the side of the shed.

She tied the neck of the sack tightly. In it was the last of his clothes. She would bring them down to the used clothing bin at the church tomorrow after the kids were gone. There was a good winter coat in there, somebody would be glad to have it when the weather got cold – if it ever did. She didn't want to do it while the kids were around.

Nothing to do now, she looked up at the bedroom window and shivered slightly. The thought of getting into that double bed and stretching out her hand to the empty side, the cold side where Charlie used to be.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick went back to the garden shed to bring a wooden folding chair. He looked around the little room with garlands of dried flowers, and onion and garlic hanging on walls. He loved the odors of the last summer. He was very cozy there though his situation was unenviable. Next morning his family would meet at the big table for Christmas meal, and he – their son, their brother – would stick there alone close to the house. Perhaps he would even hear their laugh and talks at the festive table…

“Of course, I am to blame for that. It was I who failed all exams this semester,” Patrick knew well that there were too many girls and too much alcohol in the coed dormitory. Besides, the campus could tempt with so many interesting attractions…

“I couldn’t stay home when my father called me a sponger. That’s as clear as crystal!” Patrick was sure of his decision.
True enough, Patrick’s father was always very impulsive…

Something rustled in the garden bushes. Patrick pricked up his ears.
“Patrick, Patrick!” someone whispered. Patrick left the little wooden garden house to check what happened. He saw his sister, Kate.
“I have a piece of Christmas cake for you. Don’t worry. He’ll get over it tomorrow, you’ll see,” she assured him.
“I don’t care a bit about that,” Patrick kept his spirit.

“Patrick! Look at my new truck for Christmas. I found it in your bed. I wonder who will put it under our Christmas tree tomorrow…” Patrick’s little brother came up and pressed the new car into Patrick’s hand.

No sooner had they sat at the little table between the garden shed and the bushes than their father brought near them.
“Hi, kids! What a starry night, but don’t laze away any longer! Patrick, I need a man to fasten our Christmas tree to a stand. Don’t goggle at me! Let’s come back home before the mother will worry about us…”
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,
both of us wrote a Christmas story, but yours had a bad ending, and mine had a bad beginning.
Well, Christmas can be different for us...

Jolanta
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Patrick's mother may have had a word with his father. He wasn't really going to confine him to the garden shed for Christmas, was he. Yes, Jolanta, you definitely have a happier ending than me – a Christmas ending.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: The Play Reply with quote

Hey everyone sorry I haven't posted anything lately finals have kept me busy these last few weeks! But now I'm on break so I finally have some time to post something so here it is!

A Christmas Play?
David took his seat as the other actors and actresses filed in. The set looked like something between a desert scene and a little Christmas thrown in thanks to the wreath on the door. 'What kind of Christmas play is this?' he thought as he nodded to Cheryl a tall girl with brown hair and green eyes as she took her place next to him. "Who did this set?" she whsipered.
"I don't know, but they certainly have strange idea of what Christmas should look like." David replied laughing.
"That's for sure." Cheryl said with a smile. They stopped talking as the director's voice filled the small auditorum. "Now that everyone's here I'll fill you in on the details." Mrs. Woldt said sternly. "As you may have noticed the set looks a little different this year. We are still doing a Christmas play but it is not a traditional one."
"Then what is it?" Jacob asked wrinkling his nose and frowning at the same time as if something smelled bad. David tried not to laugh, his friend's blond hair and red cheeks only made the picture funnier.
"I was getting to that Jacob." Mrs. Woldt replied glaring at Jacob. "As I said it will not be a traditional Christmas play, we won't be doing A Christmas Carol or anything with Santa Claus. It will be something we all can enjoy and that anyone from any religion can relate to."
"But what is it?" Jacob whined impatiently.
"If you must be so rude Jacob perhaps you shouldn't be in the show."
"Sorry, I just don't understand what it is you want us to do." Jacob replied quietly.
"I have to agree with him Mrs. Woldt, we've only been here fifteen minutes and all you've done is confuse us." David said in a rather annoyed tone.
"Well since everyone is so impatient and can't seem to wait until I'm finished." Mrs. Woldt replied exasperatedly. "It's a love story."
"A love story?" everyone asked glancing around in surprise.
"Yes, a love story set in December." Mrs. Woldt said with a smile. "Now I'm going to begin handing out parts please have the first scence memorized by the next rehearsal." Now the room was alive with activity everyone was wondering who would play the two lovers and what on earth this had to with Christmas. David sighed as read through his lines, then he saw what his part was, he glanced at Cheryl, now he knew what was going on. He knew that this certainly wouldn't be a traditonal Christmas play for more reasons than one.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could be there to see it Heidi. I'd like to get a look at the script too – only you know that. Why don't you let us in on it? You've got the Christmas holiday ahead of you ...
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Heidi!

I vote for traditional love on the traditional Christmas.
Another Christmas story. Very nice.

J.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Story Reply with quote

Well if you guys are serious here's the secret: David and Cheryl are playing the two lovebirds and they're just friends in real life, these two aren't people anyone would've thought to put together (for reasons I hadn't figured out yet.) Thanks for your interest I enjoyed reading the rest of the stories as well. ttyl Heidi
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

Location: Trapped in my own imagination... and wherever it may take me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, y'all. Took me awhile, but I finally got to this. It's very rusty... I choose to blame it on the fact that I haven't written fiction in a while. Wink
Please be nice... It IS Christmastime after all... Razz

Doorway to Real

The darkness seemed to close in like a hungry thing, pervading everything it touched. A stubborn little light held out against this onslaught, revealing a cheery door and two windows in the darkness, as well as a chair and a squat figure.

The tan-colored object turned toward the chair, which was all but taken over by the darkness.

“Is it safe?” Fear shook the object’s timid voice.

“What is safe, Mr. Beech?” The chair’s voice was grating, like a hinge that needed to be oiled. There was much fear in his tone as well.

Mr. Beech recoiled even further into his cloth bag. His branches waved uncertainly. “Is it worth the risk, then?”

The chair tapped a leg, miraculously remaining standing. “That is only for you to tell. While life in the World of the Unreal can be dark and lonely, the World of the Real has its own dangers.”

“You have never wished to be real, then? To be one of Them?” Both objects knew whom Mr. Beech meant by them, but neither dared to speak such knowledge aloud.

The chair started backing up. “Never,” he replied, too quickly, “You know how the Higher Ones feel about that. I could be in enough trouble for bringing you to this door. If you wish to make a choice, you must make it quick.” Please don’t make the wrong one, his manner begged.

“Are the Higher Ones afraid of this door? What are They able to do?” The thought intrigued Mr. Beech and gave him strength. The Higher Ones only served to irritate him with their unnecessary regulation and power plays. The idea of scaring them, of being more powerful, appealed to him.

“Make your choice.” The chair’s voice was hard now. Fear was progressing toward anger.

Mr. Beech nodded. “Thanks for your help and concern, friend. I shall remember you.”

“Please don’t…” the whisper came from behind him as Mr. Beech hopped the final paces to the door.

Mr. Beech could not tell if the chair was begging not to be remembered or for Mr. Beech to change his mind. It became unimportant as he stared at the door. The door was beautiful, but frightening. Beyond it laid a whole new world, a whole new life.

Behind him, Mr. Beech could hear the chair scuttling away, obviously unwilling to witness that which he was an accomplice to. Mr. Beech sent a mental wish for good luck his friend’s way. Maybe the other would join him in his quest some day.

Mr. Beech took a final deep breath of Unreal World air and hopped through the door. It slammed behind him and he fell …

After an eternity, Mr. Beech found himself able to move. His body tingled as a result of his unusual journey, and he looked down. What he saw caused him to laugh out loud with joy.

“I am a Man! I am real!”

Psychoreader
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, everyone wrote Christmas stuff. heh. I can never do what everyone else does.

Guess my mind is wired differently. Laughing

These stories all were nice.

I want to know what the play was more specifically for the kids (sorry if you mentioned it above, Heidi; I haven't read through all the comments.)

Jolanta -- Yay! for the Christmas spirit! Maybe Dad isn't such a bad ol' guy after all!

Harry -- as always yours gives a chill. Poor lady.

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, think of that! The sack had a name before it became a man. That sounds like the real world I know. Now he'll have to live up to it. Pretty exciting, Psycho – Christmases must be fun in your house.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychoreader,
I admire your imagination. You had a very nice idea for the story.

Well, Christmas is such a time when we stand in the doorway to Magic Time, I think.

J.
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jograd wrote:
Well, Christmas is such a time when we stand in the doorway to Magic Time, I think.

That is an awesome quote, Jograd. I want to steal it. Laughing

Thanks both of you for your kind comments.

Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychoreader,

feel free to steal whatever you wish. I am exceptionally agreeable for Christmas.

Jolanta Smile
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: A Special Gift (WC 499) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Sorry this is so late and so sad, but I've had to attend two family wakes and one family funeral this week so I guess it sort of colored my writing. I'll try to be more upbeat next time.

Totally freewrite. I thank you for taking a look.

shadowlight

A Special Gift
© Marlicia Fernandez (WC 499) (12-21-06)

Somehow it didn’t seem like Christmas. Oh, the lights were lit and the mistletoe and wreaths hung, but there was something missing. Maybe it was heat instead of cold. Or clear skies instead of snow. Maybe it was the palm trees dotting the countryside instead of evergreens. Maybe it was a combination of those things and more.

She felt out of place.

Soft melodies of Christmas carols floated on the warm night breeze as carolers sang about the baby Jesus, St. Nicholas and Rudolph. If she closed her eyes, she could almost believe she were home.

Almost.

But she wasn’t home. Tears misted her eyes. She didn’t have a home. No matter what the people who lived here said. They weren’t her family and they didn’t understand. She couldn’t even explain why Christmas music made her sad and company made her want to run and hide. Their smiling faces touched raw nerves sending stabbing pains through her that no analgesic could dull.

All she wanted was to be alone. To curl up and disappear. But someone always found her.

The wake and the funeral were as clear this night as the star-studded sky. Why couldn’t she have been with them? Why did she have to survive?

A whimper caught her attention and she followed it to the bushes under the window. There in the light, a puppy struggled to get free of the branches. She knelt beside it speaking softly. “It’s all right. Just hold still and I’ll get you free.”

The puppy squirmed and cried, but didn’t snap. It’s big puppy eyes, full of trust, locking on to hers.

“How did you get into such a mess?” She freed the collar from the branches and the little animal jumped into her arms and licked her face. Laughing she squeezed it to her chest, holding it tight. It wriggled until she loosened her grip and the licked her some more.

“What’s your name? Who do you belong to?” She searched for a tag on the collar. “Scruffy.” She laughed. “That fits you.” She continued reading, her eyes misting. “I belong to Kelly O’Connor 1385 Keller Place. Merry Christmas”

Kelly buried her face in the little dog’s fur and let the tears she hadn’t been able to shed since she’d lost her family fall. In all the commotion of funeral arrangements and travel plans she’d forgotten about the dog they’d promised her this Christmas and somehow he’d found her. Somehow, now, she didn’t feel so alone.

“Kelly, come join your cousins for some hot cider and cookies. Then you can decide if you want to come to the party or watch TV in our bedroom.”

The dog’s warmth spread through her melting some of the icy hurt and anger. It needed love and she needed to be needed. Holding the small animal close, she started across the brick patio. “Coming Aunt Colleen.” As she climbed up the stairs, the five stars above twinkled brightly in approval. Her family was watching.

Last edited by shadowlight on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy to see this board so busy. Very Happy

Harry,

Your story was very sad and melancholy. Is this her first Christmas alone? I hope she stays with her family nearby, it may help her cope. And I hope her new year brings her many blessings. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed it.

Jolanta,

This had a very nice Christmas type ending and I enjoyed reading it. It seems our prodigal may have exagerated his outcast standing. I'm so glad the family took him in. Maybe Harry is right and mom did talk to dad. I'm glad they'll have a merry Christmas after all and maybe the prodigal will work harder next semester. Well done.

Heidi,

Nice to see you back. I enjoyed this tale and like the others, my first thought was what on earth is in this play and when can I see it. I thank you for the explanation. I hope you post more snippets of this. Wonderful work.

Psychoreader,

Another college student returns! Nice to have you back as well. Loved the whimsical nature of this piece. In fact, I wish I'd thought of it. It made me smile. I really enjoyed this...and I look forward to reading more of your work (as well as everyone else's).

shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heart warming, Marlicia. How can you go wrong with Christmas and puppy dogs. Well, suppose the dog's owner comes looking for it? Let's hope that doesn't happen to spoil this beautiful little Christmas story. It seems you and I took a darker view of your picture.
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppy=comfort. Very Happy

This story was very touching, Shadowlight. I liked it a lot.

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Stories Reply with quote

Shadowlight I liked your story a lot, it was interesting that the main character never ended up with a name...and of course her puppy finding her was definitely cute:) Thanks for the comments on my story and everyone else's stories! I'm glad you liked mine, who knows maybe if I feel like it (or I get my current stories done) I'll work on this one some more. It was meant to be a short snippet orginally and nothing more but I suppose it could turn into more couldn't it? Wink
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank you all for commenting on my little blurb (and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.) I appreciate your kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Very Happy

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

shadowlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: