- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 50 Contrast

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 50 Contrast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: 500 X 50 Contrast Reply with quote

© Harry Buschman
I'm posting a little early this week because I've got a lot to do. Wink This wonderful prompt comes to us from Harry. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Thank you, very much, Harry.

shadowlight

Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Harry! This picture is really amazing!

Jolanta Smile
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all having a great day! Very Happy

Here's my take on the prompt. I had to cut over 200 words to meet the word limit so I hope this makes sense. Wink I look forward to seeing your what you come up with for this.

shadowlight

Light and Shadow
© Marlicia Fernandez (WC 500) 1-5-07

The insistent knocking made his head ache. Why couldn’t whoever it was take the hint and go away? No lights, no music, no television…no one home. Seemed like a no-brainer. He poured another glass of whatever it was he was drinking and took a swallow.

Not even a buzz.

The door shook under a barrage of fists. “Come on Conrad, we know you’re in there. Are you going to let us in or do we do this the hard way?”

Tom Stanton. What did he want?

“It’s your shoulder,” Conrad muttered into his libation. “And it’s not my door. Knock yourself out.”

He glanced at the loaded service revolver on the table beside the bottle. He’d had other plans for the evening, nothing spectacular, just a nice solo game of Russian Roulette. His gaze drifted to the framed photograph. Would his wife and child approve of his actions?

Probably not.

Something scraped in the lock and the door burst open.

Conrad grabbed his weapon and aimed at the two men in the doorway. “State your business.”

“We want to show you something.”

Joel Johnson. That figured.

Conrad’s finger tightened on the trigger. “Keep your hands where I can see ‘em.”

“I’m taking out an envelope.” Joel eased his jacket open. “When you see what’s inside we think you’ll want to talk.”

“I doubt that.”

The two men stepped inside. The door snapped shut.

“Don’t you want to know what really happened to your wife and son?” Tom asked.

Hope flickered in Conrad. Had they unearthed something about his family’s murder? Impossible. “I already know.”

“Do you? ” Joel tossed the envelope onto the table. It slid to a stop at the base of the bottle. “You haven’t seen what’s inside.”

Conrad waved his weapon at two empty chairs. He’d worked with these men for years, trusted them with his life many times; he owed them a hearing. He put the gun on the table and opened the package. “This better be good.”

“There are pictures and letters,” Joel said. “And the discs contain recordings of phone conversations. ” He fingered the portrait of his sister and nephew. “They prove you were set up.”

“Set up? ” Conrad pushed to his feet and strode to the coffeepot. He poured a cup and nuked it. “That would take high level security breech.” He returned to his seat. “Coffee?”

Tom grimaced. “No thanks.”

Joel shook his head. “The highest. There is enough here to reopen the investigation. Are you with us?”

Cold anger ran through Conrad. “I am. But you and Tom could be imprisoned if we’re discovered.”

“We’ll take our chances.” Tom took a portable CD player from his pocket and popped a disc in. “Debbie and Matt should have been protected and they were –except from our own. No one suspected anything and you took the fall-when they died.” He flipped the player on. “Now the truth is going to come out. When we find these people, justice will be served.”

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good enough, Marlicia, to make me wish you'd left the 200 words in. I wouldn't have expected this scenario from that simple picture, but somehow it was a springboard for your imagination. Tell me more ...
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Places

Harry Buschman

It's Thursday, I must see Dr. Townsend. Always on Thursday it's Dr, Townsend. He will say to me, "How are we feeling today, Lester? Are we sleeping better?" Always it's "we," never "you." I'm the important one, not him. He calls me "Lester." I must call him "Dr. Townsend." Is that fair? Immediately I'm at a disadvantage – I must put a stop to that immediately.

There's a few other things I want to change around here. I want to eat with silverware, not plastic knives and forks. I don't want to sit with the patients in the afternoons and watch re-runs of "Gunsmoke." And most of all I refuse to dress in front of a female in the morning! My body is a temple and I will not get dressed with Nurse Armlock handing me my articles of clothing one at a time, saying, "Let's get into our skivvies, Lester – the sun's up, why ain't you?" All the while she stands there with a lascivious grin and prying eyes. I'm going to report her to Dr. Townsend – you just wait and see.

I've got enough on my mind without having to put up with Nurse Armlock. There's Christmas for instance. Christmas is over and they still haven't taken down the decorations. When Christmas is over, it's over! It will be Epiphany tomorrow and the tree is still up – unforgivable!

I could tell Dr. Townsend a thing or two about religion. Everybody thinks Christ was God's only begotten son; well, everybody's wrong! You're forgetting Adam, Dr. Townsend – Christ's older brother! I know for a fact that Adam was born of woman ... when I was in Rome I stood under the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and saw the picture of God giving life to Adam. There it was! Proof positive, doctor. Adam had a belly button, doctor – just like you and me.

"How are we feeling today, Lester? Are we sleeping better?"

"Pretty good, doctor. Pretty good."
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I love this. I wonder who committed the man? On the one hand, he seems a little paranoid; maybe even a little anti-social. On the other he makes more sense that many other people. I love his observations about the doctor and the nurse. I can just see Dr. Townsend quirking one eyebrow up if Lester actually confronted him.

Plastic knives and forks must seem a little degrading to Lester and being forced to watch reruns of Gunsmoke with the other patients could be seen as infringement on his freedom of choice. But does he really have that freedom there?

Very interesting snippet, Harry. I would love to read more.

Thank you for your kind words regarding my little story. I'm not really sure how much more there is to tell, but I'm thinking abotu it. This was an awesome prompt! Wink

shadowlight

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: prompts Reply with quote

Harry and Marlicia I loved both of your takes on the prompt! Marlicia I too wish you had left the 200 words in because now I'm curious, it's like a good tv show that just started (or ended) and the viewer wants to know more;) Harry what an interesting take on the prompt I would've never thought of that! I too wonder who committed this guy and why? You give us some hints in the prompt but it would be interesting to see it expanded. Well ttyl Cool
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: prompts Reply with quote

Harry and Marlicia I loved both of your takes on the prompt! Marlicia I too wish you had left the 200 words in because now I'm curious, it's like a good tv show that just started (or ended) and the viewer wants to know more;) Harry what an interesting take on the prompt I would've never thought of that! I too wonder who committed this guy and why? You give us some hints in the prompt but it would be interesting to see it expanded. Well ttyl Cool
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dark room was horribly silent. She couldn’t stand this dead silence. She had to face up to this another time. Why couldn’t she grow wise at last? Why did she have to experience it one more time? She asked herself trying to find right answers.

She came up to the desk and pulled out his letters she had printed from her e-mail box. He could write them in the peculiar style she loved. She realized that she built his ideal picture on the basis of the letters. She loved his wisdom, intellect, his sense of humor. She admired him very much . She agreed with every sentence he wrote to her. The unanimity between them was really amazing. He was her best friend ever. He seemed to be much experienced because his advice was always very good; it turned out to be always very useful to her.

Every time he signed his letters with name of Paul. She felt she fell in love with Paul. But she wasn’t sure whether she loved Paul. Perhaps she loved only Paul’s letters…
She has never met Paul. What’s more, she would never meet him because he wrote that he lived on another continent.

So she was sitting and the desk in the dark room and thinking of Paul, of her love to him, and of his wonderful letters.
She recalled his first letter to her. It was a very nice coincidence; she published some of her outcomes research where she defined several medical problems.

Paul disliked writing about himself. Now she was wondering whether Paul was young or old. He wrote he was 43, but was it true? Maybe Paul was a married man.
Was Paul really a man? Perhaps he was… a lonely woman who looked for a companion… Perhaps Paul was a prisoner; a thief, or a murderer who did time in a jail, laughing at her, having a good time writing all the letters to her because of an easy access to the Internet…

The dark room was horribly silent. She couldn’t stand this dead silence. She had to face up to this another time. Why couldn’t she grow wise at last? Why did she have to experience it one more time? She asked herself trying to find right answers…
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, these e-mail attachments! They tell you never open them unless you know the party who sent them. But you can never really get to know somebody in cyberspace. It's a catch 22. You've painted a good puzzle, Jolanta. Ever read the story I posted here called "The Name Without a Man"?
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlicia,
I admire, again, your gift for describing male behavior in such a suggestive way. I still remember your older story about men with cigarettes. I remember that wonderful description of… smoke.
You are a true writer.
An ending of this story is awaited.

Harry,
your story is really wonderful. I like Lester very much. He is so a… normal man. I understand him very well.
Lester tried to feel better by the comparison of… belly buttons. Good, Lester! You could find nice equality of rights.
As for me, when I do my best not to feel worse in a very important person’ s presence, I say to myself that all people look likewise when they are… naked. It really works. Sometimes I think something else, but I shouldn’t repeat it here, I feel.
Besides, this doctor treats Lester like a child. It must be horrible to Lester. It hates it, I guess.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Harry, for reading my piece.

The Internet is really a puzzle. It's great, but at the same time it can be dangerous.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolanta,

I love your take on the story. You are a true romantic and it comes through in this bittersweet piece. It seems e-mail can be just as dangerous to the heart as any other liason. It is unfortunate that Paul is on another continent...or is it more than that? He could ask her to meet him or offer to meet her at some public place.

It is quite possible she will never know if he's married, or if indeed he is actually far away. He could be watching her when she decides to step out of the dark, silent room...watching and waiting...

There is a lot of potential in this piece, Jolanta. I think you should expand it.

Very nicely done.

shadowlight

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidi,

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my story and for your kind words. They are much appreciated. I'm not sure how much the 200 + words would have added to the tale. I would definitely have to edit a bit to make them work, but I'm so glad you found this interesting. It's always nice when readers want to know more. Wink

Jolanta,

It amazes me that you remember my piece about the men with cigarettes. That makes me feel good. (You just made my day. Wink ) I'm glad you enjoyed this and that you think I write male behavior well. That's something I've had to work on, and am till working on. I thank you so much for reading this, for your kind words and your encouragement. They mean a lot to me.

shadowlight

Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlicia,
thank you for your nice words on my story.

Hah! Paul can live on another continent or... he can even be her neighbour Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: