- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 159 Rectangles

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 159 Rectangles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: 500 X 159 Rectangles Reply with quote

Here you go. I got this image via e-mail. I'm not sure who took the photo. If anyone knows please let us know and we'll credit them. Have fun and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vacation

Harry Buschman

“Try George. Try to see it my way. I know it’s hard for you, but just because you see it one way, doesn’t mean there’s another way to do it better, or differently anyway.”

George is hard to convince, especially with the convoluted reasoning of his wife, Mildred. From a lifetime of looking in one direction, he is very reluctant to change his point of view. Mildred, on the other hand, looks at all sides of every situation, so many sides in fact, that she rarely reaches a conclusion. The most minor and basic decisions are delicately viewed from all angles. Their daughter, Angela, (and what a misleading name for the black-hearted wench she will become) is of marriageable age and is searching for the path of least resistance ... particularly where men are concerned.

When the three of them go out together there is hell to pay. George starts off in one direction and Mildred, putting a restraining hand on his arm, tells him to hold up ... think it over ... there may be a better way. Angela, ignoring both of them, takes a path where she will be exposed to eligible men. The three of them rarely achieve their goal. It would have been better if they stayed at home. The simple, direct route George blundered into led to quicksand. Mildred’s painstakingly circuitous path led back on itself and Angela’s primrose path was lined with thorns.

When vacation time rolled around last year, George set his sights on Lake Mudd. “We can camp out,” he said. “I can do some trout fishing. We can rent a cabin. Watch the sun come up ... it’ll be fun for everybody.” He watched his daughter roll her eyes. “C’mon Angela, it’ll put color back in your cheeks.”

His wife objected. “Now wait, George ... I’ve got some brochures here. Epcot Center. Las Vegas ... and look, Irish castles. I’ve always wanted to have my breakfast in an Irish Castle.”

Angela brightened at the mention of ‘Las Vegas’, thinking perhaps she might find herself a high roller there, or at least somebody who wouldn’t be caught dead in Mudd Lake. “Oh Gee! The Strip! Bette Midler! Donny and Marie! That’s for me, Ma! Can we Ma, can we?”

“Well, I don’t know. Lake Mead is near by, maybe your father can do some fishing in Lake Mead. But then ... what will I do? I’m not sure I’d be at home on the strip.” She looked longingly at the Irish castle brochure. “I really had my heart set on the Irish Castles.”

At that precise moment the phone rang.

George answered it ... “Hello. Oh hi ... yeah she’s here.” He handed the phone to Mildred. “Here, it’s your mother.”

Mildred fixed her face in a smile. “Mother, how nice. How are things with you?” You’re what, Mother. When Mother. Both you and Daddy ... when? Oh how nice ... it’s been ages. Yes, it’ll be fine ... we’ll all be here. That’s the very day George begins his vacation.”

Angela turned to her father “There,” she said. “That’ll put the color in your cheeks.”
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

Location: Trapped in my own imagination... and wherever it may take me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is not the first idea that came to my head, but actually the second. It's a little odd, but it involves one of my many obsessions, so y'all are going to be subjected to it. Many apologies.

Sorry I've been gone so long. Since I've graduated college, I've gotten my RN, and between working night shift and the book I'm working on, I've been pretty busy.

Here is a small peace offering; sorry it's a little over word count. I'll try to do better next time.

GENIUS AWAKES
© Tahlia F.

Nothing in this time held any dignity, any beauty. It was all cold as ice and every building looked like the next. Somewhere along the line, creativity really and truly died. At his hand, genius would rise from its ashes and show the world what a true artist could accomplish.

A large redhead shook his head over the plans laid before him. “Oh, Tep, I’m not sure if we’ll be able to get anyone to live here.” He reached for his coffee. “Besides, I don’t know if we can even get a license to build that. It doesn’t look stable.”

Tep sighed and stepped to Ben Creet’s other side, away from the coffee. He grimaced at the smell of the pungent drink. “It’s stable. Believe me. There is no doubt of that.” He tapped the plans. “It is, in fact, genius.” He leveled a glare at Creet’s drink. “Do you mind?”

“Oh, sorry, Tep. I always forget how you feel about coffee. What they drink for energy where you come from anyway?” The burly man moved the offensive liquid to a nearby stool.

“Something not poisonous.” Tep crossed his arms over his chest. “If there is nothing wrong with the plans mathematically, structurally, then what is the issue?”

“Oh, heavens, Tep! You don’t let things go, do you?” Creet looked away. “Look, man, I know you really want to get involved in American architecture and to have an effect and all that, but seriously, man, this is your first job you’re running. Don’t get ahead of yourself. You could get burnt. People don’t handle new things well and, well, this is definitely new.”

“People are fools then.” Tep traced his plans delicately with a finger. “And genius sometimes requires taking chances. Doing what has not been done before. It is in this way that history is made. Only those who wish to go unremembered, unremarkable, do things as all others have before them.”

“Nothing wrong with unremarkable, man. It pays the bills.”

Tep glared at him. Creet sighed. “Fine. Just saying. I guess it’s your funeral, not mine. I get paid regardless. I’ll go get the men ready.” He clapped Tep on the shoulder. “See you in a bit, man.”

“I will join you in time. Just give me a few minutes.” Tep did not catch Creet’s response as the man departed. Creet was not completely wrong. Things were different, harder, for a creative genius now.

Tep reached below the table and snagged a bottle of beer. He snapped the top off the bottle. It skittered across his plans and Tep chased it away. Few men would dare to try something this unique so early in their career for fear of meeting its early demise.

Tep took a swig of his beer and rolled up his plans under his arm. He did not get to be who he was by doing what other men did.

He was Imhotep, treasurer of the king of Lower Egypt, first after the king of Upper Egypt, administrator of the great palace, hereditary lord, high priest of Heliopolis, Imhotep the builder. He was a god among men. He built multiple pyramids before pyramids became the fashion. By Re’s Eye, he would not be doomed to inconsequence in this strange time. He would build his masterpiece and would rise like Khepri at dawn.

And no man would be able to bring him down.

Last edited by Psychoreader on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:44 am; edited 4 times in total
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry -- poor George. Surrounded by dithering or self-serving women! Now off to the in-laws during his long-anticipated vacation! I'm sure he's waving goodbye to his restful vacation spent fishing.

Maybe just Mildred and Angela will go and he can truly enjoy his vacation -- fishing. By himself.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does give that impression doesn't it? It was called "Habitat," and the Canadians thought so much of it that when Expo closed down they left it standing and rented it out as an apartment house. It had its problems. Inflexible rentable units. Hard to access areas. Fire hazards. Heating and plumbing failures. But it was, as you say Tahlia, a work of genius. Nice imaginative example of your writing – didn't know Tep drank beer.
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Did some research. Wine and beer were favored drinks in ancient Egypt. So, Tep probably would have enjoyed beer more than coffee if thrown forward in time.

As for Habitat -- it definitely looks like it would have been inconvenient to live in. What an interesting building, though!
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: The Hive (WC 501) Reply with quote

Hi all,

Freewrite and tired so I apologize in advance. Wink Thanks for taking a look.

shadowlight

The Hive
© Marlicia Fernandez (WC 501) 11-11-09

Please. Come in. Welcome to the hive. We’ve been expecting you. Make yourself at home. I’m Suzi and I’ll be your guide. You look like you can use one. Cheer up. No matter what you did or are supposed to have done. It’s not so bad here. Just follow the rules and watch your language and behavior and you’ll be just fine. I know it will take time, but that’s something we have plenty of here.

Let me take a couple of your cases. You must be something special to be allowed to have four bags. Big ones too. Most of us arrived with the clothes on our backs and an overnight bag. They must have big plans for you. What do you do?

Oh, you’re a musician and a writer. That explains a lot. They always cut you artistes a little slack. Make them look good with for the rest of the world. We even had a dancer once. She got an extra room just for dancing. What happened to her? Don’t ask. And don’t expect your early preferential treatment to extend to anything else. After all, life here runs as smoothly as its parts.

That would be us.

You get out of line and your whole corridor, your whole floor; maybe even your whole building suffers. You don’t want that, do you? No, of course you don’t.

Ah, here’s our elevator. Please step inside.

What floor, you ask? Don’t worry the lift knows your destination. When they processed you they implanted a chip with all the important information in your body. Vital statistics, personal records, medical records and the like. It’s all on the chip.

This hive is home to everyone, but each member must earn the right to full access of what it provides. Right now you are restricted to your room and floor—including food dispenser unit and skylight room. You see, all newbies make their homes in the basement. Storage and life support systems are on the floor below you. Off limits, of course. You don’t have necessary clearance. Only the highest ranking do.

Fraternizing is frowned upon except under approved and sanctioned conditions. Don’t look at me like that. It’s the rule and it’s not negotiable.

Here we are. You share this floor with twenty-five other workers, some with families. Yes, it’s crowded, but if you progress…don’t make waves…you’ll move to better accommodations, at a higher level. And this is your room. Yes, I know the door squeaks, but you’re lucky. At least you have a door. Without bars. Not many newbies get privacy from their first day. I‘m on the penthouse level. No, you can’t see it. Sorry. Only those who live there can visit. Our rank has access to all parts of the hive. But don’t worry. If you do as your expected and don’t fight your reeducation you may find yourself on the penthouse level yourself years from now. Something to shoot for, don’t you think?

What’s after the penthouse?

Nobody knows.

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,
You really made me feel for poor George. How did he ever manage to get his wife to accept his proposal of marriage. And Angela! Yikes! And now the inlaws. I forsee a very interesting and not particularly restful vacation for all of them. But maybe, as Tahlia says, George can sneak away and get a bit of fishing done in spite of himself. Well done!

Tahlia,

I'd wondered where Imhotep had gotten off to. He certainly is sure of himself, but then again, I guess he has reason to be. I can sympathize with his feelings about coffee, although I disagree with him about beer. Maybe a nice wine... Will his genius survive in this brave new world? I guess the only way he'll find out is to take those risks. We share a love for ancient Egypt and that made this extra enjoyable for me. Very nice, imaginative take on the prompt. Well done!

shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a gulag for artistes. Whomever Suzi's got in tow has got some getting use to to get used to. So that's what "Habitat" has come to ... a flop house for burned out writers. You've painted a frightening 1984 picture Marlicia. I hope it never comes to that. Bull's-eye on the prompt.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your comments. Sometimes I don't know where the time goes. Confused

Thank you very much for reading and for your kind words. I'm glad you liked this. I don't know if it's all the editing I've been doing lately, but I'm having a little difficulty freewriting at the moment. Hopefully that will change soon.

I'll try to post a new image in the next day or two. Thanks again for taking a look. Much appreciated, as always.

shadowlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: