- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 160 Paper

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 160 Paper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: 500 X 160 Paper Reply with quote

Here you go. This one came to me via an e-mail. So all I know is that it is not my image. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Have fun with this.

shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Applicant

Harry Buschman

Dear Jennifer,

I would like to accept your gracious offer of a personal inspection before making my decision. Would you set as early a time as possible acceptable to both of us.

I am a widow of 79, sound of wind and fully able to care for either of the two subjects under consideration. I’m certain I could offer a good home to either your husband or your cat. I would dearly love something, (two, or four legged is of no concern) to warm my old four-poster bed these cold winter nights which will soon be upon us. Your offer, therefore, is very attractive to me.

I will insist on a doctor’s, (or veterinarian’s) sworn affidavit of the subject’s physical condition – such as worming, spaying and legitimacy of birth ... (in the case of your husband).

I must question your use of the word “funny,” as applied to your husband. I have reservations concerning the word “funny” when applied to a living organism. It is a multi-faceted word, and requires explanation. “Humorous.” “Curious.” “Unusual,” or “slightly ill,” as in, “suddenly my stomach felt funny.” Which of the foregoing apply? The offer I found pinned to the utility pole in my neighborhood leaves me in the dark concerning the humorous qualities of either the cat or your husband ... apparently the cat is not funny. It is, however, ‘very affectionate’, and perhaps that is a quality lacking in your husband. If affection is not one of his prime characteristics it would limit his desirability over the long term.

Are there guarantees? Life expectancy gives your husband a decided advantage. If however, he does not measure up to the other requirements I have outlined, a long life is not an advantage at all – indeed it could well be a hindrance. One quickly grows tired of ‘personable’ and ‘handsome’. Besides, it has been my experience that all young men have these qualities to some degree, and it is obvious they are not enough to keep you two together.

Brigit Brimstone
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

I wanted to let you know I've seen this and that I hope to get to it soon. (I'm looking forward to it.) Wink I haven't written anything to this yet, but hope to in the next few days. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, my friend.

shadowlight

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: The Classifieds (WC 500) Reply with quote

Here I am. I hope better late than never. Thanks for taking a look.

shadowlight

The Classifieds
© Marlicia Fernandez 12-10-09 (WC 500)

Katrina shook the newspaper out. “This should do for the paper training stage.”

“If you ever find the right pet,” Angel said. “You shouldn’t be so picky.”

“I have to be. I’ve had so much trouble in the past.” Katie smoothed the paper across the corner of her garage. “I’d give the poor thing a good home, but it’s so hard to find one that really needs me.”

Angel patted Katrina’s arm. “I know. Every time you think you’ve got what you’ve been looking for, you find out he’s not what you think and someone comes looking for it.”

“I know.” Katrina sighed. “Or they decide they miss their old home, as bad as it was, and try to go back. I’ve lost more pets that way.” She turned her attention to the empty food and water bowls and the pet bed with its blanket and pillows. “You would think it would be easy to find one that needs a good home and a little love. I’ve gone to shelters and the streets…well at least as far into the streets and Gat will let me.”

“Maybe you’re not looking in the right places.” Angel tucked the edges of the red and blue pet blanket into the bed. “Have you tried private homes?” She turned to examine the newsprint on the floor. “Or maybe the classifieds?” Her breath caught. “Katie, look.”

“What?”

Angel nodded toward the advert. “If you’ve been saving this section of the paper for housebreaking purposes, you may have missed a very important means to get what you want. Read this.”

Katrina lowered herself to her stomach and began to read.

“Beautiful six month old male kitten, orange and caramel tabby, playful, affectionate, ideal for family with kids.”

“That’s outrageous!” Katrina huffed. “There should be a law against…”

“Not that one,” Angel soothed. “Read the rest of it.”

Katrina inched closer to the small type.

OR

Handsome 32 year old husband, personable, funny-good job, but doesn’t like cats. Says the he goes or the cat goes.”

“This has to be some kind of joke,” Katrina said.

“It seems serious enough to me.” Angel looked at her friend, one eyebrow raised in surprise. “What makes you think it isn’t?”

“Well, for one thing, no male of that age can be expected to hold down a good job, unless it’s in law enforcement or helping the handicapped. Yet she says he has a good job. Why would she get rid of him?”

“You tell me.” Angel shrugged. “Maybe they just don’t get along well.”

“He’s good looking. I’d be the envy of all my friends.” Katrina studied the picture. “But it says he doesn’t like cats.”

Angel burst out laughing. “Oh, please, Katie. No one doesn’t like cats. We’re the world’s best pet owners. You know that.”

“I guess I’m a little catnip shy.” Katie reached for the phone. “After losing so many can you blame me? But he sounds purrfect. Who do I call?”

“Jennifer, at 555-555-5555.”

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get to this. I've been editing away and trying to keep up with other writing projects and real life and family as well.

I enjoyed this story very much. The signature at the end of the letter makes me think strongly of fallen angels and the like and I shudder at what might possibly await either kitten or husband, should he or it be chosen by Brigit. Her questions, however are valid and logical and should give Jennifer no cause for concern. This tale made me smile and want to know more, like which, if any did Brigit decide to take and what was that lucky person/kitten's fate.

As always you kept my interest, my friend. Well done!

shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something very mortifying about being put on the dock with a cat - winner take all. I'm sure Katrina will live to regret her choice and in the end it might be better to accept both the cat and the man. After all, he's got a good job and the cat is paper trained ... she can keep them both in the garage. Very insightful, Marlicia.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year, Harry! It's hard to believe it's 2010, isn't it? I hope your holidays were truly blessed and happy.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on this for me, and for your kind words. I really appreciate it (and I apologize for taking so long to respond.). You might be right about Katrina. Wink Hmm... This was a fun one to write to, even though I had to think about it for a while. I hope to get the new image up in the next day or two.

Thanks again, my friend,
shadowlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: