- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 169 Sign

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 169 Sign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: 500 X 169 Sign Reply with quote

Here you go. I'm sorry for the delay, but I can't wait to see what you come up with for this. The picture is from my collection and is either by my daughter or her friend Aaron.

Have fun.
God bless,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: hard to read Reply with quote

Hey, I can come up with a story for a blank sign! That's my not so clever way of saying I can't read the sign in the picture...granted that means there is a possibility that I could make up what is on it...hmm.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Heidi!

I think it is: "Old Stone Bridge
Erected 1880"

This sign makes me think of the horrible flood we now experienced in Poland. The say that tomorrow and the closest days will be the worst for my city - Wrocław.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards to all!

Jolanta
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLD or GOLD Idea
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heid, you make me smile. Very Happy

I think Jolanta is right. "Old Stone Bridge. Erected 18__?" Anyway, whatever you can't read, imagine, LOL. Maybe it's actually in code??? Wink Sorry about the size, btw.

Hey, Jolanta, It's great to see you back. Are you all settled in now? Look forward to seeing more of your work.

God bless all,
shadowlight

Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Marlicia!

I was here all the time Smile

P.S.
I'm very angry today because I've just learnt that the low lying over Poland and bringing the rains and the flood was called "Jolanta"! You can imagine how terrible it is for me.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you get your name in the paper ...
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys! Oh and Jolanta what an honor to have a WEATHER PATTERN named after you;) Hey at least it wasn't a hurricane!
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One-Way Street

Harry Buschman

I couldn’t help looking back to the places I remembered with affection. I can’t remember the names of half of them or why the people who lived there gave them the names they did. That really doesn’t matter, and even if I’ve forgotten their names, I saw them with you and I can’t forget them.

The names on the signposts have faded ... it’s been so long.

In summer-time magic we saw Last Chance, Colorado and in the bitter cold of Alberta we found Wounded Knee. I’ve forgotten why we went, but we went together and that’s all the reason I can give.

The signposts are all gone now and our old snapshots are faded and torn. The roads are not the same as they use to be and we’d never find our way back there again. I can’t write a story of where we’ve been and I don’t really care one way or the other. That’s the funny part of it all. It doesn’t matter. The important part of it was going together.

They say you can’t go back ... and it’s true. Life is a one way street, and like a river, it’s not going to turn around and go the other way.

But unlike a river we remember where we’ve been.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: nice story Reply with quote

Wow, great as always. I'm tempted to print this out and hang/tape it somewhere...except I'm running out of room! It's a great little story, I've been kind of busy lately so I don't know when I'll get to this one.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and thanks Heidi. Sometimes these little pictures generate a response in me I can't explain. More from the heart than the head I guess.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: my turn Reply with quote

Thanks for the help about what the sign said. I'm going to do a story now I guess. It may not be the best but at least it's something.

Memories
By Heidi Yang
5//30/10

There's an old bridge near my house. It was erected in 1880 at least that's what worn sign says. I wasn't even alive in 1880...neither were my parents, great grandparents maybe. I don't know, I don't keep track of my family that much anymore. Oh there I go forgetting my manners again, I'm Derek. A middle aged, blond haired, single man. I did have a girl friend but we broke up a few months ago. She felt like I was too distant, at first I thought, 'No I'm not like that.' But after we broke up I thought 'Hmm, maybe she was right.'

I met my now ex girlfriend on that very bridge. It was late afternoon during the summer of 1993. A massive flood had swept through the Midwest leaving a small state called Iowa in it's dust. I don't live there, never have. She did though, at least for awhile. She had blond hair no wait it was brown. Her eyes were green and she was tall and skinny. I was fishing that day, and she was on the other side of the bridge just watching the river. We got to talking and well you know the rest. I still think about her sometimes, tried calling her but she wants nothing to do with me. She went back to Iowa, something about her dad being sick. Well, enough of my reminiscing, what was the question again? Oh right the bridge, you wanted to know about it, the history, the interesting stories, etc. To be honest I'm don't feel like answering questions right now. Come back tomorrow.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's clever, Heidi. Looks like Derek has to face the media with no other thought in his mind but the girl with the green eyes and how she got away, and how she was more important than the bridge in the first place. Nice conversational tone ... nice close too, the "come back tomorrow" is a kiss-off if I ever heard one.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: checking in Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm glad to see you are all so busy writing. That makes me happy. I haven't had the chance to read your stories yet and I do apologize for being so absent. But I should be here more often now. (I just finished a 50,000 word in a month challenge that took up most of my free writing time. Wink ) I look forward to reading your stories and writing my own soon.

God bless and have a wonderful holiday.
shadowlight

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Final Journey (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'll try to read your posts no later than tomorrow and comment on them. I just wanted to make sure I posted this before I forgot. Very, very rough freewrite, but it was fun.

Thanks for taking a look.
God bless,
shadowlight

Final Journey
©Marlicia Fernandez (WC 501)

Snow whipped across Sasha’s face on the biting wind. It drifted all around them, in some places up to three feet high. It reminded him of the home he’d left behind. He blinked the flakes out of his eyes, clearing his vision. “Where did you say we were going?”

His guide slowed and looked back over his shoulder. Two mysterious eyes peered over a face swathed in a knitted ski-mask and layered scarves. “I didn’t,” he murmured. “But don’t worry. I’ll get you where you’re going all right.”

“That’s rather vague,” Sasha complained. “Can’t you at least tell us how much longer we’ll be walking in this infernal cold?” He tightened his grip on the rope that connected him to the others behind them and fancied they awaited their enigmatic guide’s response as eagerly as he did. “What kind of a travel agency is this, anyway? I didn’t sign on for an arctic excursion. I bought a ticket for sunshine and sandy beaches.”

“You will arrive at your proper destination in the proper time….if you follow me.” Sasha’s guide knelt to adjust his snowshoe. “I suggest you protect your eyes from the approaching storm.” He pulled a pair of goggles Sasha had not noticed from around his neck and covered his eyes.

For a moment Sasha could only gape at the man in confusion. He hadn’t had any goggles before; Sasha would be willing to bet his life on it.

“Maybe some other time, I will take you up on that bet, but now I suggest you heed my warning and cover your eyes,” the guide said. He returned his attention to the quickly vanishing terrain ahead of them. “Move now.”

Sasha shivered, and not entirely in reaction to the growing cold. There was something very odd about their guide, something very odd indeed.

He pulled his own goggles up from where they hung around his neck and secured them over his eyes. And their guide wasn’t the only strange thing. His fellow travelers were strange as well. Distant somehow. No one tried to talk or communicate in any way. Everyone just shuffled along in a sort of dazed acceptance of all they were experiencing. Well, not this young man. No sir.

Keeping a firm grip on the rope, Sasha hurried forward through the swirling snow. Why was it taking so long to reach the guide?

The snow stopped and deep fog enveloped them. The line went slack and Sasha ran into the man leading them. Only it wasn’t a man, but a sign. He crouched beside it, his nose against the wood. It said Old Stone Bridge. Established 1883. “Hey, that’s the year I was born.”

People crowded around him, animated by the discovery. Voices, some thickly accented, shouted out. No, 1887, my birth year…no 1895….no 1921…

Their guide stepped out of the clearing mists. Wings unfurled. “You are all correct. Each of you crossed this bridge into world at a specific time. Now, you will cross into eternity.”

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the sign made us think about memories in some way or another. I wonder why? Wink

Harry,

I like this piece very much. It's bittersweet and personal. I felt almost as if I were intruding. You always get so much out of the images and I am amazed. Well done!

Heidi,

Another rather bittersweet story. It makes me wonder just what went wrong between them. Also, who is Derek talking to and why do they want to know the history of the bridge. I can understand his reluctance to talk abotu it, however. Very nicely put together. Well done!

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading very much.

God bless,
shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From here to eternity .... and maybe back again, who knows? The guide probably does. Another of your enigmatic and gifted fantasies, Marlicia. I'm happy to see this one had an ending.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: shadowform story Reply with quote

I liked this one (then again when do I not?) I agree with Harry I'm glad this had an ending; usually you kind of leave it mysterious or open-ended. Nothing wrong with that, it just makes me think there is more to the story! You always create characters that I want to read about even though I'm sure they have been done a million times (well the general idea.)

As for mine the person is supposed to be either a)some local reporter or b)some local town historian or curious person. To be honest I kind of made it up as I went along. When I wrote it I thought the ending didn't feel complete. But the comments everyone is making gives me hope that it doesn't need a revision.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
From here to eternity .... and maybe back again, who knows? The guide probably does. Another of your enigmatic and gifted fantasies, Marlicia. I'm happy to see this one had an ending.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on this for me, Harry. I appreciate it very much. And yes, the guide knows, LOL. I'm really happy you enjoyed it, especially the fact that it has an ending, LOL.

Thanks again, my friend,
shadowlight

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: shadowform story Reply with quote

Heidi wrote:
I liked this one (then again when do I not?) I agree with Harry I'm glad this had an ending; usually you kind of leave it mysterious or open-ended. Nothing wrong with that, it just makes me think there is more to the story! You always create characters that I want to read about even though I'm sure they have been done a million times (well the general idea.)

As for mine the person is supposed to be either a)some local reporter or b)some local town historian or curious person. To be honest I kind of made it up as I went along. When I wrote it I thought the ending didn't feel complete. But the comments everyone is making gives me hope that it doesn't need a revision.

Oh, Heidi,

Thank you for your very kind and encouraging words. I appreciate you taking the time to read and coomment. As for what might come next? I'm too sure. I wrote this to the prompt. (Oh, and I know exactly what you mean by the general idea. Thank you for the compliment.)

You did a very good job for someone who was just making it up as you went along. Keep up the great work.

shadowlight

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: comments Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback Marlica. I see that Clive has fixed whatever was wrong with that section. I thought it was odd when one day I came to WV and this had that bench one on it as the first post...anyway. Thanks for the compliment, I have had more than one person tell me my writing was sort stream of consciousness. I don't think this qualifies but the previous statement does explain why some of my stuff makes sense, even if I feel like I'm rambling!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: