- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 184 Statue

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 184 Statue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: 500 X 184 Statue Reply with quote

Hi all, I know it's been awhile, but here's the next prompt, courtesy of Harry. (Thanks, my friend.). I look forward to seeing what you come up with. God bless and happy writing.

shadowlight
with God all things are possible
[/img]
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: All Part of the Game (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I know it's been forever since I've been able to post something here. I do apologize. Life has been hectic. Wink Anyway, this is hot of the keyboard...freewrite. I'm just glad to have written something new. Thanks for taking a look.

God bless,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

All Part of the Game
© Marlicia Fernandez 3-21-11 (WC 500)

The wet grass tickled her feet and sent chills through her. And not only from the dampness. The temperature’s dropped at least ten degrees since we started this ridiculous game. Carly hiked up her skirt and minced her way through the glistening green blades. He better have a good reason for this. She glanced at the gray clouds rolling in. It’s going to rain any minute and I’m traipsing around without any shoes. I’ll be lucky if I don’t catch pneumonia. Now where’s that gazebo? It should be nearby.

She skirted a small copse of trees. “There it is,” she murmured. Irritation swept through her. “But where is he?”

A figure stepped out from the new falling drizzle, blocking her path. “Looking for someone, my dear?” He swept his arm toward the gazebo. “Why don’t you get out of the rain and we’ll talk? Maybe we can help each other.”

Carly’s skin prickled. This wasn’t Chad. Who was this man and were did he come from? The trees? The gazebo? She narrowed her eyes. Was this part of the game? And where did he get off, calling her ‘my dear’?

A flash of white cut through the gray mist. No smile should be able to do that. She shuddered and stumbled backward. “I don’t think so.”

“Oh come now. It would be silly not to take shelter from the storm, no wouldn’t it?”

Rain pelted her. Lightning flashed. Thunder boomed and she jumped. When had the storm gotten so fierce?

“Come along, before you get soaked.” The figure, now barely discernable through the curtain of falling water beckoned her.

Carly stared at him through the rivulets of rainwater falling from her hair into her eyes. If this was some sort of flash storm she might be able to make it to her car by the time it stopped and drive away from all this nonsense. Another flash of lightning took out a seedling and thunder crashed. Momentarily frozen in place, she rubbed her arms.

“Don’t be foolish—the storm’s going to get worse before it gets better and this gazebo’s the only shelter available.” He gestured again. “Besides…it’s all part of the game.”

How does he know about the game? Chad hadn’t mentioned other players; only that they were to meet at the gazebo to find out what to do next.

“What are you waiting for, my girl? An engraved invitation?”

She turned, startled to hear the voice coming from the gazebo itself. How had he gotten there so quickly? The day’s earlier chill blossomed into full fledged cold and the rain showed no signs of stopping, rather the opposite. And darkness was falling. If she tried to return to her car, she’d probably be lost within minutes. The faint outlines of the gazebo called to her. Inside a second person had joined the first. There should be safety in numbers. And she was getting soaked. She hurried toward the little building. Besides, it was all part of the game.

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me the game was rigged and the stranger in the gazebo is none other than the missing Chad ... only the rules have changed. Carly will learn a lot, I guarantee. Don't lose this one in the back of the drawer, Marlicia ... it has a lot of promise.

I withdrew my entry because I thought you had abandoned the club.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on this for me and for your very kind words. This one didn't want to be written at first, and then something seemed to click and whoosh...it was hard to stay within the 500 word limit. I'm glad you enjoyed this and think I should hold onto it. I sort of liked it, but wasn't sure how others would view it. Surprised)

Nope. I didn't abandon the club. It's just hard for me to keep up sometimes. (I'd thought you posted something and was puzzled when it didn't show up. I hope you repost it. I haven't read it because I normally wait until I get something posted myself. I may have to rethink that policy, LOL).

Anyway, thanks again for your enouragement. Much apreciated as always. I'll look into posting another prompt soon.

God bless,
shadowlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: