- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 185 Light

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 185 Light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: 500 X 185 Light Reply with quote

Sorry it has taken me so long to post this. I've been busy. I got this image from one of my other writing sites (on Multiply). RWC #9 3-10-10 I don't know the artist/photographer, but would be glad to give credit if anyone else does.

God bless and have fun,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apocalypse Now

Harry Buschman

Some time during the early spring of 2011 it became apparent to many people that the world was not going well. Certain events, both natural and political seemed to have gone wildly out of control. Earthquakes, floods, tornados and tsunamis were increasing exponentially, and governments seemed unable to keep the world from running amok.

Add to this the discontent of the common man and his family, his disregard for the rights of others and the abysmal stupidity of his leaders who swore to God and the State to govern honestly and wisely. The natural world and the people living in it seemed destined for Armageddon or Apocalypse––one or the other––or perhaps both.

Shortly after the earthquake and tsunami set off the chain of events that destroyed the atomic power plant in northern Japan, the Sea of Japan which separates that country from China and Korea became uninhabitable and deadly poisonous to sea life. The people of these countries were not aware of the danger and there was an epidemic of radiation poisoning. The race we call 'human' seemed to teeter on the edge of a bottomless abyss.

It was evident the world was made up of people who had and people who had not. Both groups had nothing in common except fear and mutual distrust of each other. The great contest for survival began. The streets became battle zones, the few people who worked risked their lives to commute. Most stayed home to protect their families. Stores were closed and only opened if they had police protection. In short it was the beginning of a new dark age, even darker and deadlier than the previous dark age of the 5th to the 15th centuries.

The breakdown came quickly, electrical power operated sporadically and finally stopped altogether. Communications ceased, delivery of vital goods and services stopped. Airlines were grounded. One event tumbled relentlessly over the other––hard on its heels, leaving life a little poorer every day.

I remembered the ancient prediction that there would come a day when the Messiah would return to earth and defeat the Antichrist (the "beast") in the battle of Armageddon. It went on to say that Satan would be put into the "bottomless pit" for 1,000 years. After being released, He would gather Gog and Magog from the four corners of the earth. Together they would surround Jerusalem, and there would be hell to pay.

I forget what came next, but it sounded a bit like what we were going through now. I looked up at the stars and thought to myself ... it's a lot like watching a movie you've seen before. I couldn't remember how it ended, but I think Charlton Heston was in it.

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I've decided to break my rule and go ahead and read and comment on this before I write something since I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing so. This is a very well written, very chilling and sobering piece. It says a lot of what I've thought in a small space. Of course we don't know when the end times will come, but it does seem like a warning at the very least. Thank you for sharing, my friend. As always, it was a pleasure...

God bless,
Marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something evil about your picture, Marlicia .... it brought back things I thought I'd forgotten. But you don't forget, you just close doors and neglect to lock them.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought of the picture as having an evil tinge to it, but I can see how it could evoke that feeling now that you mention it. And I know what you mean about the doors we close but forget to lock. Sometimes those memories can come back when we least expect them.

God bless,
Marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Carry On (WC 121) Reply with quote

Ok, here's my piece, late as usual. Wink Thanks for taking a look.

God bless,
Marlicia

Carry On
© Marlicia Fernandez 4-17-11

Sometimes life isn’t fair
Sometimes everything goes wrong
And nothing makes sense
Like today
Like yesterday
And so many of the yesterdays before that
It doesn’t matter who’s at fault
Blame isn’t constructive
Isn’t helpful
It won’t calm the anger and frustration
Simmering just below the surface
Like knotted bolts of golden energy swirling and twisting inside
Constricting until it hurts
Striving to burst free
To lash out—at anyone
Or everyone
And that won’t do
So put a lid on them
Don’t let them have their say
Take a deep breath and find another way
To cope
Smile and say a prayer
Carry on and don’t look back
And eventually the hurt will fade away
Forgotten
Until the next time.

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see any bad advice there. Sound like something we should hang on the front wall of the U.S. Capitol. Tell me why you put it in verse form. It would read equally well as prose.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

Thanks for getting to this so quickly. I appreciate you taking the time to read it and your kind words. They make me happy. Wink I wrote it in poetry instead of prose because the words flowed easier that way for some reason. I'm not sure why. I think it still needs some tweaking, but I had fun writing poetry after not writing it for so long. Thanks again...your comments are very encouraging. Surprised)

God bless,
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: