- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 186 Instrument

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 186 Instrument

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: 500 X 186 Instrument Reply with quote

Here you go, everyone. Sorry it's been so long, but I've been really busy. Wink Have fun and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

God bless,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The First Violin

Harry Buschman

No one remembers the kind of a day it was. Perhaps it was gray, on the chilly side with shifting winds favoring the east, and promising rain before nightfall. An old Italian sat under a cedar tree on the lee side of his barn and lamented, (in a musical way) the fact that his cat had been crushed under the wheels of a farm wagon.

As he sang he was struck with a musical inspiration. He envisioned it in complete and finished form and it was composed of the tail of the horse, the dried exudation of a pine tree, and the intestines of his dead cat.

"What would happen," he sang, "if I built a box of seasoned cedar, cut a hole in the center and stretched my cat's intestines across the face of it, then stretched the resin-coated tail hairs of a horse tensioned on a maple stick––like the strings of a cross bow and dragged them across the gut on the face of the cedar box?" There was no one around to answer such a question. It was a rhetorical question in any case because the old man was Italian and he knew what the answer would be without asking. "It would give forth beautiful music," he said.

Yes, the old man was Italian, and as everyone knows, in Italy everything in life can be expressed in musical terms. The trials and tribulations of the barber in his shop, the gondolier, the waiter ... even the hurdy-gurdy man with his monkey on a string see everything in terms of music. The old Italian man sitting under a cedar tree suddenly realized that God had given him all the necessary raw materials to make a violin. The old man had never seen or heard one––he certainly couldn't play one, but he sure as hell could make one.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: One Last Deal (WC 500) Reply with quote

Well, here I am, late as always, but here. Wink This is freewrite, but at least it's something new. Thanks for taking a look. I hope to post a new image in the next day or two.

God bless,
shadowlight

One Last Deal
© Marlicia Fernandez 5-8-11 (WC 500)

Leona glanced back over her shoulder at the cello being put on display in the village pawn shop and sighed.

“You’re not listening, Ona.”

She glared at her brother. “Why should I, Raff? Last time I listened, you told me you’d quit. You promised.” Her eyes filled. “You lied and now I’ve lost my cello—mother’s cello. The only thing of any value to me is sitting in that shop because you couldn’t stay out of trouble. I could have been something, someone important, with that cello, Raff.”

“You’re already someone important.” Raffin smiled and squeezed her arm. “And don’t worry, “It’s only temporary. I’ll get it back, I…”

“You promise. I know.” Leona twisted free. “Don’t bother. I know what you’re promises are worth. If I have to wait on you I’ll never get my cello back. They’ll sell it. And I can’t afford another one.” She sighed. “You don’t even have a job.”

Raff grinned. “That’s what you think.”

She gaped at him. “Oh,Raff! Really? You have a job?”

“Yep.”

Shivers pricked her skin despite the sun’s warmth. “What kind of job?”

He shrugged. “Does it matter?”

“You know it does.” She glanced up and down the street as far as she could and lowered her voice. No sense taking unnecessary chances. “There are certain things we don’t do anymore…no matter how good the money. We can’t.”

“I know that Ona.”

Leona cocked an eyebrow. “That’s what you always say.”

He sighed. “It’s only a job.”

“Is it for Them?”

Raffin cupped her elbow and picked up the pace. “Let’s go to the park. We can talk there.”

“Raff! Tell me you didn’t.” Leona hurried to keep pace despite the knot tightening around her stomach. They slowed to a stop in the center of the park at Raff’s favorite solitary bench. Not a tree or bush near enough to conceal unwanted eavesdroppers for at least a hundred yards in any direction. She sighed and plopped onto the seat. “Oh, Raff, you did.”

He sat on the seat beside her. “Don’t worry. It’ll be fine. This time nothing can go wrong.”

“Something can always go wrong.” She watched two children try to launch a kite under the watchful gaze of their parents. Why couldn’t her life be like that? “It’s not right and it’s dangerous,” she murmured. “ Besides, you said you’d quit.”

His eyes gleamed. “It’s too good to pass up.

“Why?”

“It just is.”

Leona picked at the hem of her blouse. “That’s not an answer.”

“Isn’t it?”

“No.” Her eyes narrowed. “You’re being very mysterious. Talk to me.”

“I have to do this.”

“You don’t have to do anything.”

Raff leaned against the back of the bench. “I made the deal a long time ago—before we decided to give up this kind of life. It’s the last in a series of deals.”

“And if you don’t do it?”

He shrugged. “You know how it goes. I’ll disappear, never to be seen again. Or you will.”

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get to this. I think your nudge was just what I needed to put a little more effort into getting myself in gear. Wink

Anyway, I truly enjoyed this, and the half of me that's Italian, thanks you for the favorable portrayal. This had a sort of "Old World" feel to it that is comfortable and relaxing. I sort of felt like I knew the man. You truly have a way with writing characters. Thank you very much for sharing this. It's beautiful.

God bless,
Marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"before we decided to give up this kind of life"

Thereby hangs the tale. Sounds as though Leona bears some of the responsibility. It also sounds as though there's a story untold in your little teaser, Marlicia. Thanks for the remark concerning mine ... I clean forgot I wrote it!
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

Location: Trapped in my own imagination... and wherever it may take me

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Healing Song Reply with quote

I know it's been a while since I've been here. Just been very busy. It's also been awhile since I've written anything but a few certain characters. Felt the need to stretch the creative juices a bit.

That said, this probably isn't very good. It's just an experiment. Regardless, I hope you enjoy. I'll try to comment on everyone else's a bit later.

God Bless,

Tahlia

The door creaked opened to his touch, the sound tearing at his soul.

Darian paused, one hand still touching the wood. Maybe I’m not ready for this yet. Maybe it’s still too soon.

The door stopped half-way in its opening arc, offering a tantalizing glimpse of what lay within.

Darian took a few hesitant steps forward. The pungent odor stole his breath away. Gagging, he pulled his cell phone out of his pocket. Jabbing at the touch screen, he found the light application and turned it on. The small beam bathed the soft blue carpet in a dim light.

He slipped his feet out of his shoes, almost unconsciously, and padded across the floor in his stocking feet. Lauren called this her thinking room and she always thought best with her feet free of all entanglements.

He swore softly as he stubbed his toe on something the light failed to reveal. The object bounced of his shin and he dropped the phone to dive after it. It fell face up, casting its light about a foot around it in every direction.

He rubbed his shin as he blindly retrieved the object that so thoughtlessly tripped him. His eyes widened as he brought it under the dim light. Lauren’s violin. Images of Lauren still and breathless as he played; Lauren with her mouth tight as she attempted to capture the magic herself; Lauren’s exclamations of disgust as she tossed the instrument aside, leaving him to try and retrieve it before she caused the offending instrument further damage.

Brad was supposed to put it away with everything else. Apparently he hadn’t.

On a whim, Darian stood up, reaching just above him. His hand brushed the overhead light and then the pull string. Taking a deep breath, he gripped the string and yanked down. The kaleidoscope of colors illuminated the room, touching down on music stands with books still open to their places, books still marked by errant pieces of paper or tissue, paintings half-done on their easels with paints long-dried on their pallets from air-exposure.

He settled down on the floor with a half sob, clutching the violin close. All of it the same. Just as if she was still here. As if she had never left.

Before he knew it, the violin rested on his shoulder and the bow materialized in his hand. For the first time since Lauren’s death a year ago, he poured his heart out in a private dirge. The weeping tones soared and swelled, overtaking the room, the house, Darian’s very heart and soul.

And somewhere, up on high, Lauren smiled.

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tahlia,

It's good to see you back and posting again here at the Voice. This is a sad, yet hopeful piece with lots of emotion to it. Maybe now Darian can find some closure. Maybe now he'll be able to move on. Working on new characters with new stories is good for you...and we benefit. Nice work with this...thanks for sharing.

God bless,
shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like a high school reunion to have Marlicia and Tahlia, (who used to be Psychreader) on Writer's Voice again. Nice bit of pathos here, opening the door to a dark room. the smell is a nice touch to a cluttered room that has been closed for a year. Lauren was a multi-tasker wasn't she? Seeking a proper outlet? Makes me wonder about the rest of the story ... Who's Brad, by the way?
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

Location: Trapped in my own imagination... and wherever it may take me

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry -- such an interesting way to describe the creation of a violin. One does wonder how a person would come up with some inventions... like who looks at a horse and says "hey... it's glue!" You've just answered the question of who would look at their cat and say "Hey... it's a violin string!"

Shadowlight -- Poor Leona. Raffin could well be the death of her... literally. I hope that she doesn't pay the price for his stupidity.

It is nice to see the gang again! It's been a while since I've played in this particular sandbox.

Does anyone know why we are getting notifications any more for responses, though? I almost didn't know y'all had responded.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,
Hmm..., I thought's I'd responded to your response already. Sad Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on this for me. I appreciate it, as always, despite the lateness of my response. I think you're right about Leona, but I'm not sure exactly what her part in their situtaion is. All I have is an inkling, LOL

Tahlia,
Glad you enjoyed this little snippet. I hope Leona survives Raffin's activites, whatever they are, as well. Then again, she may have to pull his fat out of the fire, LOL. As for your question abou notifications, I'm not sure. Maybe Harry knows?

God bless you both and thanks again!

shadowlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: