- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 187 Bike

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 187 Bike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: 500 X 187 Bike Reply with quote

Hi, all,

Here's the next image. Thanks for the pix, Harry. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomerang Tours

Harry Buschman

Mr. Lombardo took a Boomerang tour to Italy this spring. He’s not going again for a while––not with gas prices as high they are in Italy. Most tour companies have put their plush air-conditioned buses in moth balls and are issuing bicycles to their customers at the airport.

Mr. Lombardo hadn't been on a bicycle in forty years, yet by the time the tour was over and he left his bicycle at customs in Rome, he had pedaled more than 350 miles through Rome's historic countryside. Mrs. Lombardo did not accompany him, but instead stayed at the airport and shopped in the duty free store for the entire two weeks of the tour.

As everyone knows Rome is built on seven hills ... some of them quite steep. The tops of each of them are prime tourist attractions and climbing them on a three speed Schwinn can be an invitation to a coronary. Even if the climb is successful, the descent can be suicide. Fortunately, Mr. Lombardo accomplished all seven of the hills, spurred on by frequent shouts of encouragement from the tour guide leading the way on his motor bike. Mrs. Meltzinger won the Boomerang prize for quickest trip down each of the seven hills––she will be released from Ospitale Romano as soon as the bill for her hip replacement surgery is approved by Health Care Italiano.

We asked Mr. Lombardo if he enjoyed his seven hills tour of Rome. "I really didn't see much," he said. "A person must keep his wits about him while pedaling a bicycle in Rome," he observed, "I used to think Italians were the craziest drivers in the world when they got behind the wheel of a Fiat or a Lamborghini, but put them on a Schwinn with a load of wet wash on the handle bars and you'd best give them the right-of-way."

Mr. Lombardo has lost thirty pounds in the last two weeks, while Mrs. Lombardo has gained twenty. He stays he is "rump sprung," (a common ailment of bicyclists) and plans to stand in the aisle rather than sit in his tourist class seat on the 8 hour flight back to New York.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

This was a fun read. It seems rising gas prices are taking their toll everywhere. I’m glad the Lombardo didn’t find themselves row across the ocean to get to their destination. I’m sure they would have lost more than thirty pounds…if they made the trip across, LOL. Nice, realistic interpretation of the prompt. I enjoyed it immensely.

God bless,
Marlicia
With God all things are possible

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: The Bike Ride (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi all,

Here's mine for this prompt. Thanks for taking a look.

God bless,
shadowlight

The Bike Ride
© Marlicia Fernandez 5-16-11 (WC 500)

Daniel slowed to a stop. The familiar brick building loomed over him at the fork in the road and he pondered which direction to follow. Despite the familiarity of the route, of the setting everything was different. Maybe it was the fact that he was here alone. It was the first time Margot and the kids hadn’t come with him. The first time in twenty-five years. It didn’t seem right, somehow.

And then there was the traffic. Or rather the lack of it. Where was everyone? It was as if no one dared to come out to greet him since the change. On previous trips he and the family had always joked that it was easier to get through Times Square during the New Year’s Eve celebration than to bike through this section of town on a supposedly quiet Sunday afternoon. It had all been in fun, of course. It was part of the town’s charm and they wouldn’t have had it any other way.

Now it was silent. No cars honked their horns. No vendors hawked their wares from roadside carts and stands. Most shops were closed, boarded up, victims of the new regime. Family outings were rare, if they could be obtained at all—and usually piecemeal. One family member at a time…or perhaps two, if you were lucky. And forget about vacations…unless you knew someone, that wasn’t happening.

He stared up at the old building. It had survived three great wars and numerous political and economic upheavals which was more than could be said for other landmarks. But the once proud structure, like the people who’d erected it, was a mere ghost of itself, serving as dismal offices for corrupt officials and sycophants who couldn’t see beyond their own noses…or the own agendas.

It was a sin, really…a crying shame. And it all seemed to happen overnight.

But it didn’t.

It happened over time—because we let it. It was our own fault. Unappreciative, spoiled, demanding, we voted them in, believing that we deserved more for less—or better yet—something for nothing. We ignored the warning signs and refused to face the truth. Not satisfied with what we had, we fell for half-truths and lies, not realizing until later that not all change is good. But then it was too late. The disease had spread everywhere.

Small business died first, a slow death by asphyxiation. Larger business followed or went into receivership…to the government, that benevolent parent. And according to the polls, the people didn’t care, as long as they were taken care of. But not him…not his family. They weren’t children and didn’t need taking care of. Margot, the kids and the grandkids were on their way out of the country. He would soon follow. But not today. Today was Sunday. His detail worked Sundays.

A policeman approached, nightstick in hand. “What’re you doin’ out in the street? Let’s see your papers.”

“Today I work.” Daniel pulled out his documents. “I’m just a little early.”

Last edited by shadowlight on Tue May 17, 2011 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I detect the scent of party politics ... a sort of cloying democrat odor. Well, with luck it'll be gone by 2012. Or, maybe even this Saturday if the day of judgement is on time. Cute, Marlicia ... brought back memories of George Orwell and Anthony Burgess.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Harry,

You do indeed detect the scent of party politics...malodorous as it is, LOL. I hope you're right and the winds of change will blow once again in 2012. Preferably ushering in a group of people who are more concerned with our country than with their own agendas,. Smile Thanks for the kind words and the high praise...George Orwell? Awesome. I"ll have to check out Anthony Burgess.

Thanks again my friend. I appreciate your time and effort and encouragement.

God bless,
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: