- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 194 Clothes

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 194 Clothes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: 500 X 194 Clothes Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Here's this week's prompt. The image is Harry's (Thanks, my friend). I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

God bless,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annual Wine Party

Harry Buschman

In the whole Napa Valley there are no greater grapes grown than those of Pierre Savior. They are priceless, and until they are ready for harvest, monsieur Savior protects them from ravenous birds at all costs. He will sit outdoors on an old wooden bench with his shot gun in his lap, then spring to his feet and blast away at birds, rabbits, field mice and raccoons whenever they come near his vines. In addition, he has hundreds of scarecrows scattered about his fields to help frighten off the birds.

No ordinary scarecrows will do. Oh no! His grapes are the pride of Napa Valley. Grapes grown for Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon, and a scarecrow dressed in bib overalls to resemble a rustic hayseed would never do. His watchmen and women are dressed in the latest Paris fashions arranged in conversational groups and are indistinguishable from French ladies and gentlemen of breeding. Tasteful string music one might have heard at the Folies-Bergère during the colorful pre-war days of the late nineteenth century can be heard day and night. To Pierre Savior, every grape in his orchard is precious.

When he has had a successful crop, one that has weathered the ravages of frost, drought and flood, and after the first pressings have produced a wine worthy of the Savior label, Pierre throws a party. Among his guests are those loyal scarecrows that have spent the season guarding his arbor through all kinds of weather keeping destructive varmints at bay. It is a cotillion so to speak, a quadrille and a French ball all rolled into one.

Pierre does not rest until his precious vintage is safely bottled and stored in his massive wine cellars. Only then will he join the party and late into the night the festivities can be heard for miles.

Joie de vivre!
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Harry's story Reply with quote

I like your take on the picture Harry! I haven't found any inspiration from this photo yet but I may post something for one of the other pictures. I like how you made two inanimate objects seem like real people.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: The Wedding (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi all. Sorry so late. Things have been...different, and hectic, but here is mine. Basically freewrite/stream of consciousness. Thanks for taking a look. I'll try to post another image in the next day or two.

God bless.
shadowlight

The Wedding
© Marlicia Fernandez 11-21-11 (WC 500)

Carolyn adjusted her hat for the umpteenth time. Whatever happened to traditional veils? Gauzy, filmy, white veils? I mean, who ever thought of wearing a black hat with a bridal gown? Honestly.

“That’s the way things are done here.” Harold strolled across the carpet of freshly mown grass. “I told you things would be different.”

“Different? I thought you meant something simple, like the bride wears pink. Or the service is held in a bowling alley.” She swept her arm across her body, encompassing all she could see in the gesture. “This goes way beyond different. This is surreal.”

Harold smiled. “I know it seems odd. Maybe even a little disconcerting, but I promise you, it’s all going to be fine. Trust me.”

“Why should I trust you? You haven’t given me any reason to.”

“So bitter.” He shook his head. “Even after our discussion. You seemed to understand what was required when we talked. Or weren’t you listening?”

She glared at him. “I was listening. I just didn’t fully understand. No one could fully understand this.”

“I don’t believe that. Maybe other people couldn’t understand, but not you. You’re a beautiful, intelligent woman.” Harold’s hat wobbled and seemed about to topple when it settled into place. “That’s why I chose you. You’re perfect.”

Carolyn sighed. “What are you doing here, Harold? It’s bad luck for the bride to see the groom before the wedding.”

“Are you going to be bound by foolish conventions and mindless superstitions?” He winked at her. “When you accepted my proposal I felt sure you wouldn’t be.” His eyes narrowed. “Or was I mistaken? Do you want to back out of our arrangement?”

“Is that possible?”

He adjusted his tie. “No.”

“Then why’d you ask?”

“Why did you ask?” Harold corrected gently.

Carolyn shook the wrinkles from the second, or was it third-hand, bridal gown she wore. “Whatever. What’s the point of asking if the answer’s moot?”

“I’d like to know your choice was freely made and not regretted.”

“How can you expect me not to regret my choice? Look at me. Look at yourself.”

He raised an eyebrow. “You know that’s not possible.”

“I know that now.” She turned her back on him. “It would have been nice to know it before I said ‘yes’.”

“Look at me, Carolyn.”

She shook her head. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“You have to look at me sometime.”

“What difference does it make?” She glanced over her shoulder. “I can hardly see you in the darkness. The brightness of the day makes you fade away to almost nothing. Whose bright idea was it to have two ghosts marry before the sun goes down?”

“One ghost.”

She sniffled. “No one will be able to see us.”

“They wouldn’t be able to anyway.” Harold turned her around. “No one is coming. We’re persona non-grata. They’ll never accept us until your injuries kill you. I won’t rush your demise and I won’t wait. We have to act now.”

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a terrific take on the prompt, Harry. So realistic...and I never would have thought of it. I have to admit one though kept running through my mind as I read it. God watching over his creatures and celebrating with his faithful servants, sons and daughters at the end. I truly enjoyed this piece, Harry. Maybe you should submit it somewhere. Thanks for sharing, my friend. God bless...

Marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pact's a pact and that's a fact. Very imaginative, Marlicia ... I like the concept. This could be the start of something ... a sort of village Romeo and Juliette.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on this, and so quickly. I really appreciate it and I'm glad you like it and think it mightbe the start of something larger. I'll put it in my files for when I have a little more time to write.

I'll post the new image soon. In the meantime, thanks again for your kind words and encouragement. Happy Thanksgiving and God bless...

Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: