- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 199 Cape

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 199 Cape

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: 500 X 199 Cape Reply with quote

Hi all, sorry it took me so long to post this. I've been busy. I hope this one sparks your creativity. The image is mine.
God bless,
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Discovery (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi all,

Am I first? Shocked Wow! How did that happen? Wink Anyway, here's mine, completely free-write and hot off the proverbial keyboard. It was fun to write new material again. Thanks for taking a look and I can't wait to see what you all come up with.

God bless,
shadowlight

Discovery
© Marlica Fernandez 2-13-12 (WC 500)

Gabe swung the lantern in every direction sending shadows scurrying and frightening dust motes out of hiding. “It’s got to be here somewhere.”

“What’s got to be here?” Noeman sneezed into his sleeve. “And where is here anyway?”

“I dunno.”

Shivers tickled Noeman’s skin. “You don’t know where we are, or you don’t know what we’re looking for?”

“Don’t be stupid. Of course I know where we are. Just as well as you do.”

That doesn’t make me feel any better. “Ok, we’re lost, just like a million other times. What are we lookin’ for?”

“I’ll know it when I see it.” Gabe set the lantern on a sheet covered table. He whistled low. “What do we got here?”

Noeman inched closer. “It’s not very big.”

“Size isn’t everything.” He thrust the lantern into my hands. “Hold the light on it.”

“Right. ” Noeman peered into the gloom. “Is that a baby cradle?”

Gabe nodded. “An’ there’s somethin’ in it too. I know it.”

The shivers returned, crawling double time along Noeman’s spine. “Maybe we should leave it be. I mean, there must’ve been a reason it’s buried in here…away from everything and everyone.”

“And there’s a reason we found it. We’ll I’ll be …it’s a doll. ”

Noeman sniffed. “Ugliest doll I’ve ever seen.”

“It’s a human doll. And it’s in great condition…” Gabe grimaced. “Considering the conditions in here.”

“We’re human and I’ve never seen anyone who looks like that. Look at that hair.” Noen shuddered. “What’s that it’s wearing? A shroud?”

Gabe lifted the doll from its bed. “Remember what we read about our ancestors and their various religious practices?” He shook the doll until the cape unfurled. “I think this is some sort of purification gown.”

“You mean a baptismal gown?”

“Or maybe a cloak to cover it. White was the color of purity and innocence, you know.”

Noeman snorted. “There’s no such thing. We’re born evil and evil we remain until we die.”

“If you believed that you wouldn’t be here.”

“I’m here to keep you out of trouble, big brother.” Noeman grimaced. “You’re great at getting yourself into messes no one else would even dream of.”

Gabe sighed and smoothed the folds of the doll’s clothing. “You weren’t always so cynical, Noe. Don’t let what happened to Mom and Pop destroy what they taught us. What they believed in.”

“What they believed in got them killed. It got us sent to junior criminal homes.”

“Foster homes,” Gabe murmured. “Not criminal.”

Noeman dropped to the floor in a cloud of dust. “Might as well have been. Day and night being told how lucky I was to have been taken in at all with parents like ours…who followed the ancient faith.” He spat on the floor. “Faith, bah!”

“You haven’t given up on that, have you?”

“I can’t give up on something I never believed.”

Gabe stared at the doll in his hand. “So where does that leave us? Are you going to turn me in?”

Last edited by shadowlight on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look as though these two are going to solve the problem of the doll. They're not archeological geniuses, are they? That one line makes it, Marlicia ... ' Don’t let what happened to Mom and Pop destroy what they taught us. What they believed in.”
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosemary's Baby

Harry Buschman

Agnes couldn't wait to get to the phone. She fumbled dialing Beatrice's number and had to do it over again. "Beatrice! I couldn't wait to call you," she said breathlessly.

"What have you been up to, Agnes? Ernie at his old tricks again?" Ernie was Agnes's husband and he did get himself in a lot of trouble in Westlake Village.

"Neither Beatrice, it's the new baby. Rosemary's baby ... I just saw it. She was out walking it in the stroller this afternoon." Agnes paused for another breath. "You'll never believe it."

"I'll bet it's cute ... she's got a hunk of a husband."

"Agnes, it's a monster. You'll have to see it yourself."

In defense of Agnes it was a strange looking child. A shock of coarse red hair down to its shoulders. Big shoe button eyes. A smile that went from one ear to another––if indeed it had ears. There was no sign of them. When Agnes asked Rosemary if it was a boy or a girl, Rosemary shrugged her shoulders and said the doctors were still working on that. "Everything in good time," she added. "We've been waiting so long for a baby, we can wait a little longer to find out whether it's a boy or a girl."

Everybody in town was anxious to see Rosemary's baby and by the time they did they were well aware of what to expect so they practiced their gushing responses before they stopped her in the street. Even the menfolk that hung around Westlake Auto Repair passed around a few observant remarks ... "helluva lookin' kid, ain't it .... jeez, I'd throw it back if it wuz mine."

Time passed. Rosemary and her husband mutually agreed that the baby was a boy, because it couldn't possibly pass as a girl. They named it Andy ... and the infant picked the name "Andy" out of his father's hat, so you could say he chose the name himself.

As time dragged on he grew up. He did well in school. Excelled in athletics, but the girls kept well clear of him even though he finished Westlake high school as the star quarterback and played trumpet in the band. The girls thought he was too weird to date ... the thought of kissing him goodnight would send them into gales of laughter. But he was granted a full tuition and board grant to McGill University and achieved a PhD degree in biotechnology. His monograph was delivered in French, a language he only learned a week before his dissertation.

He went on to Pfizer Pharmaceuticals as chief toxicologist and developed many life saving and prolonging procedures, finally winning the Nobel Prize for medicine last year.

When the news reached Westlake Village, the flush of reflected glory spread its warmth to his family and friends. Agnes called his mother and father immediately ... "Dear Rosemary," she said. "I knew from the day I first saw him that he was destined for greatness, I remember calling Beatrice to give her the good ...."

There was a click on the other end of the line.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, love this, Harry. It's so true to life. Your characterization is right on. I can definitely understand why the mother hung up on Anges. Too often people can be cruel in a situation like that. I have a feeling that Andy was a bit lonesome and his family maybe a bit outcast from the rest of the town. But he showed them all. Good for him! Surprised)

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my little snippet. I don't think either of the boys are archeological geniuses, or geniuses of any kind. I have a feeling they are looking for answers of some kind and that their family bond may be tested in the future. Maybe even the near future. I'm glad you liked the line about what Mom and Pop taught them.

God bless and thanks again, my friend,
Marlicia

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: my comments Reply with quote

I just finished reading both of your stories and I liked both of them. Marlicia it was nice to see something different from you than fantasy(not that your fantasy is ever bad per se.) I liked the line at the end Gabe stared at the doll in his hand. "So where does that leave us? Are you going to turn me in?" It left me wondering whether his brother would or not it also does a great job of showing what their relationship was like.

Harry another great snippet from the Westlake Village collection. Andy sounds like a few nerds I know;) Oddly enough I thought of the Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls so the name fits well.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidi,

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment and for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed this. Fantasy, sci-fi/fantasy and twilight zoney-suspense are my preferred genres to write in, but every once in awhile an idea will hit me that is more...'normal', LOL. It was fun to stretch a bit and I'm glad the piece left you curious. Of course you do realize that if I go anywhere with this it could end up who knows where, Wink Or maybe not.

God bless and thanks again. I hope we'll be seeing some new material from you soon.

marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: