- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 200 Man

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 200 Man

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: 500 X 200 Man Reply with quote

Hi all, Here's the new prompt. Sorry it's taken me so long to get it up. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I got the image from my friend, KaeB on one of my multiply sites. I don't know where she got it, but will gladly give credit. God bless an have fun.
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: A Time to Listen (WC 500) Reply with quote

Ok, here's mine. WC constraints hampered me, but it was fun. Free-write. I can't wait to read yours. Thanks for taking a look.

God bless,
shadowlight

A Time to Listen
© Marlicia Fernandez 3-8-12 (WC 500)

Cigarette smoke wafted around Max in a gray, corkscrew plume. It looked like he felt, smelly, insubstantial and all bent out of shape. He leaned against the bar, its solid wood supporting more than his weight in the shadowy confines of the tavern.

“You want another, or you just gonna nurse that one?”

Max tipped back his blue fedora and stared at the barkeep. “When I want another, I’ll let you know.”

The barkeep shrugged and returned to drying the glasses. “Just tryin’ to be helpful.”

“Sure you were,” Max mumbled. “Just like everyone else. That’s what got me into trouble in the first place. Tryin’ to be helpful.”

“You say somethin’ sweetie?”

Max grabbed the glass at his elbow, knocked it back and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. “Who’s askin’?” He half expected a tall, buxom blond to sidle up beside him, to go with the sultry voice, but a petite redhead of a shade nature never intended… pulled up a stool and hopped onto it. She looked like she should be popping gum in the local school yard, or maybe college campus, not making the rounds of low-class dives.

“Name’s Maddie.”

He blew a smoke ring. “How old’re you, Maddie?”

The girl twirled a strand of hair around her finger. “What difference does that make?”

Max nodded at the approaching bartender. “He’s gonna card you. If you’re not old enough, you’re outta here.”

She pouted at him. “You can say I’m with you.”

He held out his glass. “Hey barkeep, get me another, will ya?”

“Sure, buddy, but if she’s still here when I get back. I’m gonna card her.” He took Max’s glass. “I’m not gonna lose my license because some little chit of girl wants to play grown up.”

Her eyes narrowed. “He’s not very friendly.”

“Why should he be? You threaten his livelihood.” He glanced at her through the mirror hanging on the wall behind the glasses and bottles. “Why should I lie?”

“It’s not a lie.” She tossed her hair back over her shoulder. “I am with you.”

“The hell…” She raised an eyebrow, and managed to look more than a little disapproving. “Not in this lifetime,” he amended. “Unless you can give me an indisputable reason. I’m not risking my reputation and good name on a whim.”

“Please.” She snorted. “You’ve already risked both. That’s why I’m here, but I’ll need time to explain and I’m thirsty.”

Max toyed with his empty glass, while his stomach twisted into knots. At the end of the counter, the barkeep poured Max’s drink. He was dawdling, giving them time. “Let’s say I’m curious.”

“I’d say that’s good.”

The barkeep plunked Max’s drink in front of him. “Lemme see your ID or you’re out, girl.”

“Not until he hears what I have to say.”

The man scowled. “ID”

“She’s with me.” Max pulled her toward a table. “Bring her a coke, on the rocks and keep ‘em coming. Apparently, we need to talk.”

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have you been up to Marlicia! Little Maddie ... I can't believe it. She's just stopped off for a quickie on her way home from school and look at the fix you've put her in. Well, I'm sure if you were able to write another paragraph or two you would have found an escape route foe her. You can't leave her there ... can you? Very good so far!
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lost Generation

Harry Buschman

He was there again this morning. The man in monochrome. Blue suit. Blue hat. Blue shirt and tie.

He was on the opposite side ot the street and when he saw me he tilted his head to the side so I couldn't see his face. He walked to the café and sat at a table under the linden trees. The same table as yesterday and the day before. I couldn't hear what he ordered but I knew what would happen next ...

He glanced around him––I'm sure he saw me. He tilted the brim of his hat up just a little and opened his paper. I could read the headlines from where I stood. They were nothing in particular, a tragedy on the left bank, a fire, a scandal in the Prefecture ... he didn't seem interested. His coffee and brioché appeared and he folded the newspaper and looked up and down the street. I knew what would happen next.

A woman, a very large woman with masculine features and wearing a knitted shawl on her head walked toward him. The man removed his hat and stood. In response, the woman pulled a chair out from the table and sat before the man had a chance to do it for her. Her voice was masculine and she brushed off his attempts to apologize for not doing it himself. She signaled for the waiter to bring her a beer.

Hard on her heels, a small man in a neat gray suit and a wide brimmed black hat appeared at the table. He wore thick bottle bottom eyeglasses and his tenorish voice carried an unmistakable Irish brogue. He sat at the table, ordered a glass of single malt whisky and removed his hat. There was still two empty chairs at the table, they were filled by an argumentative American couple, still dressed from a previous evening on the town during which both of them obviously misbehaved.

I wished I could have introduced myself and joined them, but the time was out of joint you see. I was a hundred years too late.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting piece, Harry. I wonder what the gathering is all about and I too would like to join them...or maybe not, LOL. They don't seem particularly friendly. 100 years too late? That's a provocative statement. I like this a lot. There's a tale to be told in this; I'm sure of it. Wink

I enjoyed this very much. Thanks for sharing it.

Thank you also for your comments on my little snippet. I'm not quite sure what's going on in the little dive, but I suspect it might take me more than a couple of paragraphs to figure it out, LOL. Maddie is more than she seems and I'm not sure what Max is hiding, only that he is hiding something. I'm glad you think it's a good start. One of the many I will put on my back burner to finish.

God bless, my friend and thanks again,
marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man in the blue suit is Hemingway. The large woman is Gertrude Stein. The small Irish man is James Joyce and the American couple are F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda. You've got to read Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast," (his last book). I promise you'll never forget it.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

Thank you for the explanation. I appreciate it (and it's very interesting. Did their little group have a name?). I've put "A Moveable Feast" on my wish list. Thanks for the suggestion. Wink

God bless and have a wonderful day,
Marlicia

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: my comments Reply with quote

Just read both of your stories. I liked yours a lot Marlicia (yours too Harry) it seemed as if you wanted to continue it but were limited by the word count. Or maybe I was just wondering what would happen;) I admit that I'm glad you explained yours a bit Harry, though even without that it was still interesting. I have heard a Moveable Feast, I remember reading The Hills like White Elephants in my college English class. Right now I'm reading two books at once otherwise I would check out a Moveable Feast.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidi,

Thank you for taking the time to read and to comment on this for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it (and yes, you're right, I did feel a bit tied down by the WC...ah well, it's good discipline, LOL). Thank you so much for your kind words. It makes me happy that you were wondering what would happen next.

God bless,
marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: