- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 208 Embrace

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 208 Embrace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: 500 X 208 Embrace Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Happy 2013! I hope you are having a wonderful, blessed year so far. Sorry about the delay. I've been really busy. Here's the first prompt for the year. (from a website add). God bless and have fun!
shadowlight
with God all things are possible

Last edited by shadowlight on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:47 am; edited 4 times in total
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inconstant Muse

Harry Buschman

I was desperate. I needed you last night ... where were you?

I was here with you.

You were not! I couldn't write a word – I kept thinking of the old things I wanted to say and I couldn't say them.

That's why you couldn't see me.

What do you mean?

Your mind wandered. You wouldn't let yourself write. There's really nothing wrong with you you know ... you're afraid of failure that's all.

You don't know what failure is like ... I'd rather die.

Start in again. It's early ... we've got the whole night ahead of us. Sit down. Light the lamp. Turn a fresh page ... now, start the story again.

(He sits and lights the lamp, turns over a fresh page and dips his pen in the inkwell.)

(He turns to her) Don't leave me.

I won't leave you ... forget yourself. Forget me ... begin. Introduce the characters. Describe the place, the time ... let the narrative begin.

It's no good. Nothing's coming. (He stands and turns to her) Stand on the other side of the table, over there where I can see you.

Forget me. It's best you can't see me when you write. When you're finished you'll see me in the words you've written.

I'll be alone. I'm no good alone ... let me see you, please.

I'll be right here behind you. You'll see me in the words you write ... there's no other way.

Can I kiss you first?

No. Maybe after ...

(He sits again and stares at the open page in front of him.) "He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish."

There, how's that?

Don't stop now.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, Harry,

It's great to see more of your work here. (I know I've been remiss in posting of prompts, I apologize). I love your portrayal of the author and his muse. Very well written. He has such a personal relationship with her, so he needs to trust her and write. Smile Love the start. It made me think of THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA.

Oh, wow! I was right! (I looked it up, LOL). I love that story, though my memory of it isn't very good. I haven't read it in ages. I'll have to do that.

Thanks for sharing Harry. Maybe it will spark some creativity in me.

God bless and happy Valentine's Day!
Marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: The Message (WC 500) Reply with quote

You must have sparked something in me, Harry. Thanks. Smile Really rough free-write, but I'm glad to have something new down on paper again. God bless and thanks for taking a look.

Marlicia

The Message WC 500
© Marlicia Fernandez 2-14-13

Miranda paced the cold stone floor, her maid trailing behind her. The sun played peek-a-boo with ever-darkening clouds outside the window and a chill breeze wafted through the hall. She shivered and pulled her shawl closer. “I fear the worst,” she murmured.

“My lady?”

“It’s nothing, Karina,” she glanced over her shoulder and managed a small smile she hoped was not too weak or unconvincing. “It’s just this weather…and being cooped up…and…”

Karina adjusted Miranda’s cloak. “And the lack of news from the war, I know my lady.”

Miranda turned and put a hand on her maid’s. “I know you do. How does John fare now? Have the doctors helped? Does he need more?”

“As well as can be expected. Better, even, but...” The girl sighed and shook her head. “No, my lady you’ve done all you can to help my brother in his recovery. The rest…his ability to walk again…that rests in other hands than ours.”

“So it does.” Miranda squeezed Karina’s hand. “It may be he will heal yet.”

Karina nodded. “And it may be you will hear news soon.”

“I hope you’re right,” Miranda said. “I hope the news is good and this horrid war is over.”

“From your lips, my lady, to God’s ears.”

A youth in messenger’s clothes rushed around the corner and into the hall. “Is the Lady Miranda here? Do you know where I may find her?”

“I am the Lady Miranda.” Miranda stepped around Karina and held out a trembling hand. “You have something for me?”

He reached into his bag and pulled out a parchment. “A message, my lady.” He rummaged some more and retrieved a second. “No two messages.” He handed them to her one at a time. “This one is the first sent, and this, the second.”

“Thank you.” She managed a small smile. “I will read them in that order in case they come from the same place or concern the same news. What do I owe you?”

The messenger shut his bag. “Nothing, my lady. It was taken care of by the sender.”

Chills ran along her spine. She glanced at Karina. “Still, I would give you something that you may not go hungry on the road back.”

“My lady?” Karina said. “Should he await a response?”

Miranda glanced out the window and sighed. “I don’t think that will be necessary. Take him to the kitchen, Karina, see that he has provisions for his journey.”

“Yes, my lady,” Karina said.

“Thank you my lady.” The messenger bowed and turned to follow Karina. “May your news be only good.”

Miranda opened her letters as soon as they’d gone. The first demanded ransom for her captive husband. The second announced his death. The room spun and grew deathly cold. She stumbled. Let me join him.

Strong arms surrounded her, steadying her. Her husband’s presence filled her. “Be strong. Live for me and our child within you.” He kissed her. “I must go, but know you will never be alone.”

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of background in this story, Marlicia. It makes me wonder what I've missed and will never catch up with ... and frustrated also in the fact that I know I'll never catch up with its conclusion. The prompt seems lost in the welter of Miranda's marital past, Karina's brother "John," and the solemn ritual of the opening of the messenger's bag. You've left me with a lot to chew on.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this for me. As always, I do appreciate it. I love your musings. I, myself am not sure what went before or what comes after. It was written solely to the prompt, but may have some possibilities if I can find the time to listen to the characters and if they will deign to tell me more. Thank you for your very kind words of encouragement.

God bless and have a wonderful day and weekend, my friend,
Marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you might find my remarks a little on the judgmental side, they're not. In fact they reveal a lack of imagination on my part. I lack the vision you do, Marlicia, to broaden the scope of the prompt. It suggests one thing and one thing only to me. In your case, (and I've noticed it time and again) it seems to be multi-faceted and not limited to the present but to a time before and a future yet to come.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all, my friend. I found your comments quite encouraging and motivating. Your questions and remarks often get me thinking and a story I might have thought had nothing left to tell, might get another look and maybe some more work. that is very much appreciated.

I do thank you for the compliment regarding my imagination. I really needed it. Surprised) (It reminds me of something a the main character in Anne of Green Gables use to say to people whenever she saw something that sparked her creativity. "It has so much scope for imagination." She may have been the first one make me think of all the potentialities and possibilities, LOL)

I think you sell yourself short. You have a wonderful imagination. It's just points in a different direction than mine. You have an ability to make the most ordinary stories extraordinary. I love reading your work. Sometimes, like this time, it sparks me to write something. You have a wonderful talent.

Thank you again for your kind words. You have no idea how motivating and encouraging they are.

God bless,
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: