- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 209 Ball

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 209 Ball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: 500 X 209 Ball Reply with quote

Here's this week's prompt. I hope I haven't posted it before. Wink I don't know where the image comes from but will gladly give credit. Have fun with this and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

God bless,
Marlicia

Last edited by shadowlight on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Deception (WC 500) Reply with quote

Ok, here's mine...and not even a week after the prompt was posted. Yay! Anyway, thanks for taking a look. I hope you enjoy.

God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

Deception (WC 500)
@Marlicia Fernandez 2-17-13

Seth shivered in the warm evening air. Strange what feelings certain objects can evoke, what memories they may dredge up.

“What say, ye? Recognize it, do ye?”

He tore his gaze from the walking stick to study the creature before him. Enveloped in a huge, garish cloak of gypsy design; age, height, and even gender were impossible to determine. No feature escaped the shadow thrown by the voluminous hood. “What if I do?”

The figure shrugged. “Much difference it might make, if ye be who I seek.”

“I’m not.” He stepped around her. “I’ve nothing to do with the likes of you.”

One gloved hand pressed against his chest. The other gripped the stick on which the creature leaned. “So say ye. Well, ye be havin’ to do with the likes of me now.”

Seth blinked. “How did you do that?”

“Many things I be doin’. Now be ye the one I seek?”

“And how am I supposed to know that? I don’t have any idea who you’re looking for.” He pushed the hand down and backed away. “I don’t have time for games. Step aside.”

The gypsy, or whatever it was, didn’t budge. “In such a hurry, be ye. But know ye where ye must go?”

“Of course I do.” He shoved past her and strode along the path. Evening would not hold back full darkness for long and the roads became unsafe at night.

“Ye best be hearin’ me.”

Seth lifted a hand in acknowledgement and continued walking. The setting sun hovered at the edge of the western horizon, visible through the thinning woodland. He picked up the pace, gasped, doubled over and dropped to his knees, clutching his stomach.

“Yer own fault this be.” The creature slipped out from behind a tree and stopped to pick up the walking stick it had hit him with. “Me questions ye will be answerin’.”

“How did you…? Never mind.” He lifted his head and glared. “I’m already late, so ask away.”

She pulled back her hood. Red curls framed a face of ageless beauty, dominated by eyes whose color defied description. “Be ye Austin of the Hollyoakes?”

Chills ran along his spine. What was the girl after? Could she have any idea? “Who wants to know?”

“Me name be me own.” She smiled. “Theys fortunate to know me call what I wish.”

Slowly, Seth rose to his feet. “And what is that?”

Her gaze met his. “Caprice is how ye will know me. Be ye Austin?” She lifted the stick. “Recognize ye this?”

“Caprice? What kind of name is that?”

She sighed. “It be the name by which ye shall call me. Now, me question be ye answerin’.”

Can I tell the truth? She has the cane. That could mean she already knows the answer. “I am and I do.”

Her eyes darkened and the smile faded. “Austin ye be not, but since his name ye claim, and all that is his, his shoes ye will fill. Come with me.”

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Marlicia, I really fell for it. I thought it was a crystal ball! But no. It's a polished knob on a walking stick shoved in the face of an old man by an amorphous figure in a gypsy cloak talking with an accent right out of Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island." (“It be the name by which ye shall call me. Now, me question be ye answerin’.”) I can see the parrot on her shoulder from here. Where do we go from here, Marlicia ... I'm lost. Show me the way!
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowglobes

Harry Buschman

"Our high quality crystal balls are made of re-constituted quartz crystal. Flawless quality, no lead, 100% clear. All crystal balls include instructions for use and a FREE wooden stand."

This was the day. I already had a wee-gee board and a deck of tarot cards and an iron clad two week tryout contract at the mardi-gras carnival in February ... all I needed was a crystal ball. Al Kismet had a whole shelf full of them down at Futuras magic store. I read that sign in his window twice before I turned the knob on his seedy front door and walked in.

He was finishing up a deal with a old woman with a wart on the end of her nose and a cat on her shoulder ... she and the cat both eyed me suspiciously. Al, in his oiliest manner told her, "You won't be sorry ma'am, you won't see shrunken heads of this quality at these prices east of Salem, Massachusetts."

"I know, I know ... you told me that the last time, you shyster, and what happened? Go ahead, tell me what happened, eh?"

"I told you to keep it out of the heat." Al grumbled.

"The eyes fell out, that's what!" As if to punctuate her remark, her cat hissed at me.

Al turned to me and said, "I'll be with you in a minute young man."

I sauntered over to the crystal balls and left the argumentative old woman and her cat to fight it out with Al Kismet. The crystal balls were superb, they looked as though they had been buffed and polished. I had my eye on the big one in the middle.

Al wrapped the shrunken head in a brown paper hag and the old lady with her cat took her leave. The cat took a swipe at me with its claws bared but missed. "Don't trust the old shyster," she said to me as I opened the door for her, " ... there's no honor among thieves like there used to be."

When Al was sure she had left, he came out from behind the counter rubbing his hands. "I see you're interested in these exceptional crystal balls my boy. They are beautiful aren't they. Are you a clairvoyant? ... an oracle, perhaps?"

"I prefer, "soothsayer" Al ... for the next two weeks anyway. All I need is a dependable crystal ball."

Al rubbed his hands together, "Well," ... he smiled, "you won't find more dependable merchandize than old Al Kismet's fortune teller's friends. That's a beauty you got your eyes on ... you can read out five years ahead with that model."

"One thing that troubles me, Al. It's too crystal clear ... I'm sure the customer can read his own fortune in the ball as well as I can. Where's the mystery? If I can see the fortune in the client's future, so can he."

"Give her a shake," Al said.

I did so and immediately the crystal clouded up. Swirling banks of bluish gray clouds concealed whatever lay in store for the future. "How's that?" Al grinned broadly. "Got the idea from those snowglobes we used to have as a kid. A little sand in the bottom ... tell the customer what he wants to hear. It'll all settle down by the time he's gone."
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Harry,

Sorry for the delay. The whole family was home yesterday and we made a family day of it.

I love this! It's a little whimsical and quirky and the characters are awesome. I love the 'witch' and Mr. Kizmet. The soothsayer made me think of a high school or college student trying to get some extra cash. The bit about the sand made me smile. Mr. Kizmet better be careful. If his secrets get out, he'll be out of business. Well done, my friend. I think I'd like to see more of these characters.

God bless...

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
Well, Marlicia, I really fell for it. I thought it was a crystal ball! But no. It's a polished knob on a walking stick shoved in the face of an old man by an amorphous figure in a gypsy cloak talking with an accent right out of Robert Louis Stevenson's "Treasure Island." (“It be the name by which ye shall call me. Now, me question be ye answerin’.”) I can see the parrot on her shoulder from here. Where do we go from here, Marlicia ... I'm lost. Show me the way!

Hello again, my friend. I hope you're having a wonderful day.

Thank you for your kind words regarding this little snippet. I'm glad it took you by surprise. You made me smile with the reference to Stevenson's "Treasure Island". I sort of wondered about that while I was writing, but that's what Caprice told me to do, so I did it. Wink No parrot, I'm afraid. Caprice isn't quite what she seems. I'll do my best to show you the way as soon as someone shows me. Thank you very much for your encouragement. It's very motivating.

God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: comments Reply with quote

Both interesting stories and good as usual. I admit I didn't realize where I'd heard someone use ye so much until Harry made the comment about Treasure Island and then it made sense Wink Sounds like a great beginning to me I hope you do more with it. Very imaginative I wouldn't have thought to make it into a person! Harry I loved yours as well. Al's definitely a slippery character but he knows how to sell his stuff. It's interesting that someone would turn to mind reading for extra money. He must be really good at pulling the wool over people's eyes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: