- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 213 Face

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 213 Face

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: 500 X 213 Face Reply with quote

Here's the prompt for this week. I got it from Photobucket and will gladly give credit if someone knows the artist. I will be celebrating my 30th anniversary with my husband this week, so I will be away from my computer. The next prompt might be a little late for that reason. In the meantime, have fun with this one.
God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a Rut

Harry Buschman

It's written all over my face I suppose. But it ain't my fault let me tell you. I've been sweet-talked and lied to more than any broad I know. If I had a dollar for every broken promise I'd be rich as Martha Stewart. But rich I ain't, I still eat at MacDonald's. I'm addicted to con men. When you've fallen for a line as often as I have you find yourself going with guys in pin stripe suits and sun glasses..

So I'm a pigeon, I fall for losers. I've got boy friends in every state pen in New Jersey ... I'm drawn to losers like a kid to cotton candy. That's why I'm looking the other way right now. This guy came in to the "Narcissus" a half hour ago and he's standing at the bar giving me the up and down, drumming up the nerve to come over and talk to me. All it takes is a quick look from me and he'll be ever in a flash with a song and a dance ... he's lighting up a cigar right now. Big black one ... it's a thing with men. Shows they got time, not in a hurry ... let the ash grow long, then let it drop, neat-like into the ash tray on the bar, he'll smile ... smug like and saunter over and say something like, "Did anybody tell you you're the best lookin' broad in the joint?" That's suppose to impress me, right?

Here he comes! Look at that walk ... side to side, like a prison guard ... holster on one side ... handcuffs on the other. He's been around, this one.

"Evenin', yer name's Josie, ain't it?"

"What's it to ya?" ... He's a copper, I knew it all along.

"We got a mutual friend, Josie. Willie, the heist, doin. six to ten up in Danimora prison." He pulls up a chair and sits down.

"So what, copper ... I got friends all over."

"He sends his regards. He says to me if I'm ever down here in the neighborhood I should stop in the Narcissus bar and look you up."

That's what I mean ... I guess I'm in a rut. I mean when you start up with your boy friend's prison guard you know you hit bottom.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, everyone! I'm back from Florida (celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary with my husband) and I hope to get caught up here soon. God bless,
Marlicia/aka shadowlight

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: A Damsel in Distress (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi again,

Here's my take on the prompt. Thanks for taking a look.

God bless,
Marlicia

A Damsel in Distress (WC 500)
©Marlicia Fernandez 7-3-13

“They say a picture paints a thousand words. It certainly seemed so in Gladys’ case.” Dylan sipped his water. “But they never get into what the image might say.”

Kenneth beckoned the waiter. The man glided to them, almost seeming to float. “Bring the wine. And some cheese and crackers.”

The man bowed. “Will you have your usual?”

“You know our tastes, and our budget. Surprise us.”

The waiter nodded. “Will there be anything else, sir?”

“Yes. Bring two menus.”

“Of course.” The waiter glanced at the table disapprovingly. “And I’ll bring your napkins and silverware.”

Kenneth returned his attention Dylan and lowered his voice, even though the waiter had gone and their table was isolated. Nowadays even the walls had eyes and ears. “Where did you first see her?”

Dylan sighed. “At the barber shop. I’d picked up a magazine someone’d left behind. Maybe a wife or girlfriend of some customer. You know, one of those glamour rags.”

Kenneth raised an eyebrow.

“I don’t know why I did,” Dylan tapped his glass. “I never look at them, but that day I did. And there she was. Staring at me from an advertisement.”

“And she spoke to you?”

Dylan lifted his glass and sipped. “She spoke to me all right.”

The waiter returned carrying a tray bearing a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, two menus, two wine glasses, crackers, mild cheeses and silverware wrapped in pristine white napkins. He set the plates of cheese and crackers in the middle of the table and the silverware, menus, and glasses in front of Kenneth and Dylan. He poured the wine and straightened. “I’ll return in….” He looked at them.

“Give us ten minutes,” Kenneth said.

“Very good, sir.”

The waiter turned and strode to another table, well out of earshot. Kenneth leaned forward. “And what did she say?”

“We’ve been over this a thousand times,” Dylan said.

“And we’ll go over it a thousand times more, until I understand exactly what happened.” Kenneth balanced a slice of baby Gouda on a cracker. “I can’t help you until I understand everything and right now I don’t.”

Dylan picked up his wine glass and tilted it until the liquid swished round and round. “She begged me to set her free.”

“And how were you supposed to do that?”

The swishing stopped. “I had to…you know, find her ex and make him see sense.”

“Did you do that?”

“Sort of.” Dylan drained his glass. “I found him, but he wouldn’t listen.”

Kenneth shook his head at the approaching waiter and the man withdrew. “And then what happened?”

“I couldn’t find any peace so I went back to the barbershop and consulted the picture. I wish to heaven I hadn’t.”

“Why?”

Dylan massaged his temples. “That’s when she told me how to free her.”

“By killing him?”

“Yeah. Can you help me?”

“With a story like that? I doubt it.” Kenneth picked up his wine glass and signaled the waiter. “But I always did like a challenge.”

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, my friend, I truly enjoyed this piece. The dialect/tone is spot on and you really seem to have gotten into the narrator's head. I sort of feel sorry for her. It seems like she's had a tough life. Kind of funny, in a sad way that her con boyfriend should send his prison guard to her. Is the cop on the level? Looking to bust her for something in order to lessen her boyfriend's time in the clink? I'd love to see more of this. Thanks for sharing, Harry. It was a fun read.

God bless,
Marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a dilemma. Kenneth's got a job on his hands. Sounds like a set-up. How did a glamour magazine come to be in a barber shop? That's the place to start I guess. No easy job to find the "ex" of somebody you've never met. Nice leisurely laid back style for a prompt, Marlicia. Nice to see you abandoning the world of fantasy for a while.
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

Location: Trapped in my own imagination... and wherever it may take me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Sorrow Reply with quote

I had difficulty with this one, but here y'all go:

Sorrow

My name is Sorrow.

It's not much of a name. I think Mama might have been drunk when she picked it. The story goes that the woman who helped with my birthing tried to talk her out of it, but Mama wouldn't be swayed.

Sorrow was what she wanted and Sorrow I would be.

I think the Fates might have been laughing.

Mama died when I was eight. Papa when I was twelve, though he wasn't really around much, so I didn't mind too badly. I had Reesa and she was enough for me; probably cared more for me than the two of them together.

Had. As in no more. I hope there are rabbits in Heaven. Reesa always did like chasing rabbits, although I never did see her catch one but once. I think she was as surprised as the rabbit was and he was away before she could come to herself.

I could laugh with Reesa for no one can laugh like a Brindle. There's not much to laugh about now.

"It's okay, old girl, I'll catch a rabbit for you. Then you catch one up there and we'll be evens." I can almost hear her back and smile and I laugh in spite of myself. "It'll be a big one, too; a hare. The trick is to be quiet."

"If you go anywhere near Corth, they'll find you. He has them scouring the countryside all around it for you. It's where he expects you to go."

"It's where I must go. Many lives depend upon me getting there."

"Many lives depend on you not getting caught."

I freeze. Voices? In Reesa's and my forest?

A bark interrupts them and my heart leaps.

"Reesa?" I whisper. My voice cracks. I haven't spoken since Reesa died; there hasn't been much of a point.

The Brindle steps into view and stops in front of my bush. Not Reesa, but a Brindle all the same. And I have missed the Brindle laugh so.

I creep forward. "Hey, boy. Here, boy."

He stares at me and woofs. Then he tosses back his head in a Brindle laugh and sits down. It is so much like Reesa that I throw caution aside and cross the rest of the distance to him, giving him a big hug.

"Who is this, Flip?"

The Brindle barks in response and my elation fades. In my excitement I had forgotten about the men.

"We have to go, my lord." The second speaker insists. He is a stout nervous man who makes me think of a pig. "They might be closing in on us even now. We should go by the west path toward Dunth."

I hug tighter onto Flip. The Brindle licks my ear.

"I have to go to Corth, though." The first man is watching me and Flip. His eyes are quiet, thoughtful.

And Flip would go with him, leaving me alone again. I take a deep breath. "I know a way."
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great mood, Tahlia. A really fascinating little piece, 'fascinating' because so much is unexplained and left to the reader's interpretation. The girl's name 'Sorrow'. , (Dolores in Spanish, sometimes Lolita). In the Book of Ruth I think it's 'Mara' - bitterness. Her only friend is dogs. I got a little lost at the end when the authorities closed in, but the beginning floored me.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this, Tahlia. There is definitely room for expansion in this. Like Harry I got a little lost in the transition, I think because the conversation came out of nowhere. I think the word count is to blame for that. It can be easily remedied, should you desire to continue. Love the beginning and the end. Sorrow has grabbed my interest as have her new 'frineds'. Love the dog.

God bless,
Mom

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this for me. I really appreciate it, as always. I like your idea of a setup, it was in the back of my head as I wrote it, but I'm not sure yet. As for the glamour magazine, I'm not sure how it got there, unless someone brought it to look at while they wait. And I have been to barber shops that cater to female clientele as well, though I don't thing this is that kind of barber shop. Finding the "ex" was probably quite challenging. I'm wondering if Dylan isn't some sort of detective or cop or something. He hasn't told me yet.

LOL, enjoy my forays into other genres while you can, my friend. Fantasy is never far from my mind when I write, though twilight-zoney and suspense were my first loves.

God bless and thanks again. Have a wonderful 4th of July!
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: