- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 214 Kitty

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 214 Kitty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: 500 X 214 Kitty Reply with quote

Happy 4th of July to all who celebrate. Here's the new prompt. Have fun...I look forward to seeing what you come up with. (This image comes from photobucket)

God bless,
shadowlight
With God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thrift Shop

Harry Buschman

"The effrontery of it. That's wat I object to ... the attempt to turn a killing machine, an animal that lives off the flesh of perfectly peaceful grazing animals into a cutesy-pie porcelain figure."

I shrugged, Louise is my husband but I'll be the first person to admit that she's getting worse every day – relentless, goes to the guts of it and you either agree with her or face the prospect of a heated discussion right there in the shop in front of everybody. She glared at me, just as she usually does and as she held the damned thing in her hand, I had the uneasy feeling that she might dash it to the floor of the shop. I tried to take it from her but she raised it high and for an uneasy second or two I honestly thought she might brain me with it before she dashed it to the floor..

"Louise, let's not make a scene, it's only a little statuette."

"Like your Venus de Milo with a clock in her stomach I sippose ..."

She had me there. My mother gave me one of those as a present when I graduated art school. I've been waiting for the clock to die so I'd have an excuse to throw it out. "... and Hummel figures," she went on, "... turning simple cooks, blacksmiths and washerwomen into "darling" collector's items." she put the quotation marks in herself with her sharp nails. Her eyes glittered. "It's the worst form of anthropocentrism."

That set me back on my heels. Where did Louise ever hear a word like that? "What's anthropop... what you said?"

She finally put the figurine back on the shelf again ... next to the little white porcelain figurine of Rodin's "Thinker" squatting on the toilet. "Anthropocentrism is the supreme conceit that mankind is the center of the universe ... bigger than God even."

I thanked the elderly lady at the cash register on the way out and mumbled something about coming back when we had a little more time. Louise still had her nose in the air. I really had the hots for the little leopard. I suppose I should be ashamed of myself but they always give me the sort of warm cozy sort of feeling I used to get as a child whenecer I took my teddy bear to bed with me.

It hasn't been easy being a wife to Louise, believe me ... and since same sex marriages are now legal in New York she seems more inflexible than ever.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Captured on Camera (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay, been busy as usual. Smile But here's my take on the prompt. Freewrite, but I had fun. Thanks for taking a look.

God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

Captured on Camera (WC 500)
©Marlicia Fernandez 7-13-13

Brent’s hear thumped. Branches and decaying foliage almost hid the old camera, but not quite. He should have been more thorough. He glanced at his companion. Maybe she wouldn’t notice.

“What’s this?” Katie dropped to her knees, heedless of the mud and cleared away the ground cover. She turned the boxy object in her hands. “I’ve never seen anything like this.”

Great. Of course she’d find it. She never missed anything. But she didn’t know what it was. Maybe he could convince her to toss it. “It’s just junk. Probably left here ages ago because the owner got bored with it.”

Her brow furrowed. “I don’t know. I mean, at first I thought it was just a box, but now…” She shook it and something rattled. “I wonder how it opens?”

“Let me see.” Brent took the camera. “Look at these lenses. Maybe we can see inside through them.” He put each glass piece to his eye in turn. “Nope, I don’t see anything.”

Katie grabbed the box. “The center lens doesn’t let us see anything, but it looks like it had some sort of cover…see the broken bits?” She turned the over over and looked through the little glass at the top. “I can see you and the trees…It’s almost like a telescope.”

“It’s junk, Katie. Why bother with it?”

She stuffed it in her small pack and strode along the path. “You might not be interested, but I am.”

He hurried to keep up. “Why?”

“Because I think it’s some sort of camera.” Katie glanced over her shoulder. “One of the experimental models.”

Brent’s stomach knotted. You don’t know the half of it. “Why would you think that?”

She shrugged. “Just a hunch.”

“That’s some hunch. Just because a box has some bits of glass in it doesn’t make it a camera.”

“And all your negativity doesn’t mean it isn’t.” The woods opened into a large clearing dominated by a stone castle. Katie hurried across the grass, skirting the statues and figurines of wild animals until she reached the door. She leaned against the doorjamb. “Hurry up, Brent. I want to see if there’s any information in your family’s library’s about this.”

Brent unlocked the door. If Katie found the information she sought, she’d have to be dealt with. For centuries his family had been thought of as strange, and potentially dangerous. If people learned the truth. If they ever figured out how and where his family obtained the statues and figurines that filled the grounds and castle, and that animals were not the only living things collected there’d be trouble. Big trouble. That’s why he’d tossed the camera in the first place.

“Let me show you where to look.” With a heavy heart he led her to the library. Katie would never give up. When it grew dark, he’d leave her alone on the patio. Then the animals captured by the camera would awake, and they would be hungry. They would ensure his secret would remain safe.

Last edited by shadowlight on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

That was an unexpected take on the prompt. Louise certainly has strong opinions. Wow! Nice characterizations. I feel sorry for the narrator...she must have a rocky road to travel. And why shouldn't she have a cute little porcelain leopard anyway? Seems like the making of a mountain out of a molehill to me, LOL.

Thanks for sharing my friend.

God bless,
Marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty explosive piece of evidence. Pretty careless of Brent, too. What's his relationship with Katie, Marlicia ... what impossible occasion could hace brought these two together. A man with a castle and a shady past, and a character fresh out of Nancy Drew. You astound me.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this for me. I really appreciate it, as always. (And thank you also for your kind words.) I'm honestly not quite sure what the relationship is between the two characters, the word count precluded much exploration in that area, but maybe I will be able to revisit in the future. There may be a bit more to the tale, if they'll cooperate with me. It isn't often I can astound you. That makes me happy. Very Happy

God bless and thanks again.,
Marlicia
BTW, I used to love Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys when I was a kid.Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: