- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 216 People

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 216 People

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: 500 X 216 People Reply with quote

Here's this week's prompt. Thanks for the image, Harry, and thank you Clive for creating the link for me. Have fun and God bless...
shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time and the River

Harry Buschman

"It looks like a river, doesn't it," she asked. It was a rhetorical question, it was a river. But why was it there, and why were Molly and I standing there with strangers on a river bank. She stared across the swift current. There were more than a dozen people standing with us on the bank of a river. They were strangers to both of us. Molly and I knew none of them.

"Who are these people?"she asked. It was another rhetorical question, they were strangers not only to us but to themselves as well.

In the turbulent river at our feet, various objects floated by. Debris of all kinds, partly submerged and hardly recognizable were visible for a moment or two, and then swallowed in the swift current downstream. The other side of the river was shrouded in mist, but Molly was sure she could see more people standing on the opposite bank as well.

Above the noise of the water she said, "It's like watching the world go by,"

It was a strange way to put it, but it seemed to make sense to me at the moment. We had been driving the thruway all night trying to get to the Canadian border before daylight ... I might have dozed for just a second, then I heard Molly scream. I saw brake lights ahead of me. Close – too close – and now, here we were standing on the bank of a river ... 'watching the world go by.' "I'm sorry Molly," I said "I think I know what happened."

I felt responsible ... it was unforgivable. I remembered the lights of the car ahead and the helpless feeling of not being able to do anything about it - and Molly calling out my name. I remembered nothing after that until this moment, here by the river. "We're looking at life passing us by," she said, "all these people ... it must be the same for them too." Finally the realization sank in."

"Now what," I asked.

I don't know ... we could ... "

"What, Molly ... what"?

"We could go back in the river I suppose. We don't have to stand here and watch it pass us by, do we?"

"I don't believe we have a choice, Molly."
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Connections (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi all,

Here's my take. Thanks for taking a look.

God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

Connections (WC 500)
© Marlicia Fernandez 8-21-13

Harley slipped into the observation room, unnoticed. This kind of job was the best. And the worst. The worst for obvious reasons, the best because of its potential for challenge. And Risk.

“You in, Harl?”

“Yeah,” he murmured. “I’m in.”

Static crackled in his ear. “Talk to me.”

Harley’s gaze swept over the throng of people. Men, women, children, stood like statues—frozen in a moment of time. Mindless. Clueless. Unobservant. Unaware that anyone had joined them. He’d have to toss himself out of the building to get any kind of reaction. Still, their behavior was strange, even for tourists. Why did they congregate at the window? What could possibly be so engrossing? “We’ve got a dozen, maybe a dozen and half people, like the others, but…”

“But?”

He inched across the polished floor, his steps silent.

No one stirred.

“This time we’ve got children.”

The voice in his ear swore. Harley grimaced. “Pipe down, will you?” he hissed.

“Why?”

Harley tapped the earpiece, shutting it down. “Because, I’m not sure I’m alone, idiot.” He stood in the center of the room, taking stock of his surroundings. Other than the stricken people, he did, indeed seem to be alone. But appearances could be deceiving. What am I not seeing?

His reflection stared back at him from the tile floor, even as inverted images of the crowd and he, himself, hung from the ceiling. Almost like a funhouse attraction—without the fun.

A fist tightened around his stomach. There’s not an i-pod, i-pad or laptop in sight. No one’s talking…or eating or walking around. No one’s sitting, or napping. And the silence is almost oppressive. That’s not normal. A person can’t go anywhere without seeing some sort of technology nowadays. It’s almost as if the devices are grafted on to us as soon as we’re born.

Harley crept closer. His skin prickled. Every individual posed as if doing some sort of task… texting, listening to music, talking on the phone, but without the necessary tools. Someone had taken the devices, but who—and why? How was the theft connected to this strange immobility?

Outside, a curious, shining white mist surrounded them. It cast its pale light into the room. Every face turned toward it. All attention riveted to the amorphous cloud. The pressure around his stomach increased. Harley pulled his sunglasses from his pocket and put them on. Whether they were necessary, or would do any good remained to be seen, but he’d learned a long time ago not to ignore his gut. He had no desire to become like the travelers rooted in place before him.

A figure, small and dark, darted across his peripheral vision. “Who are you?” The creature appeared on his shoulder and grabbed for his glasses. “Hey!” Harley slapped at its claws. “Cut it out!”

It hissed and scrambled back. A voice thundered in his mind. “If you want answers you must cooperate. Remove your glasses and turn on your earpiece. Then all will be revealed.”

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Harry, I really like this one! I think you outdid yourself. Are they standing on the threshold of the afterlife? This made me a little sad, but I still enjoyed it very much. One of your best, I think.

God bless and thanks for sharing,
Marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very god Marlicia. Reminded me of that old game of "Statues." You'd get spun and you'd have to hold the pose you arrived in. But these people are in for some serious comeuppances I think...they forget to bring sunglasses. Good take on the prompt, I like it.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

Thank you for taking the time to read and to comment and for you kind words. They are, as always, much appreciated. I've felt a bit rusty lately, with not much desire to write, so it makes me even happier that you liked this take on the prompt.

I also remember the game of statues. Sometimes it could be pretty hard to hold the pose, especially if you'd been spun fast enough, LOL. And we didn't have to worry about our sunglasses the way these people apparently had to. I wonder what kind of tourists don't have sunglasses? Maybe the kind that are doing their sightseeing inside? Hmm...just musing aloud. Surprised)

Thanks again for your kind words. They are very encouraging to me as I try to get myself back into writing gear.

God bless and have a wonderful day, my friend!
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: