- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 220 Cave

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 220 Cave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: 500 X 220 Cave Reply with quote

Here you go. I found this image on the internet. Have fun.
God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Power of the Light

Harry Buschman

He was afraid of the light.

He was safe inside the cave – far enough back from the entrance so the light wouldn’t reach him. No one knew he was in here. But out there, out where the light was, he could see the dangers awaiting him.

There were storms out there, with flashes of brilliant light followed by deafening crashes of thunder, Birds of prey and fierce animals that fed on weaker animals – animals like him.

He wouldn’t stand a chance out there.

Yet… there was light out there – why was there light? There was no light here in the cave, and that troubled him greatly. Was it possible there were dangers here in the dark too? Invisible dangers?

No, he was a reasoning man, he lived here… he lived here in the darkness all his life. Although he could see nothing he knew it was safe here, safe in the dark.

But living alone in the dark, was that all there was? What would the future hold? More of the same?

He inched forward a bit, a little closer to the light. He extended his hand until the tips of his fingers were lit by the afternoon sun. A bit more and he saw his pale hand; how beautiful it was with the blue veins tracing their wayward path along the back of his wrist. How warm the sun was. What would it be like to warm his entire body in the sun?

It was very tempting. He withdrew his hand and immediately his hand grew cold, as cold as the damp, dark wall of his cave. He promised himself to do this every day – to make the dark a little more bearable. He was aware that he was being drawn into a very dangerous game. The light was treacherous, it could turn on him in an instant. Only yesterday he saw a man struck dead by a bolt of lightning from the sky, a man not much different from him. He shivered with horror just to think of it. What was the power that drew these men from the safety of the cave just to gain a moment of sunshine.

If he knew that he would know everything.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

It's good to read your work again. At first this reminded me a bit of the Disney movie the Croods, but then it got deeper and a little philosophical. If we are going to learn, we have to risk. I wonder what this cave man will choose to do. Will he take the risk to learn more and enjoy the sun, or stay trapped in the safety of his dark, dank home?

I truly enjoyed this Harry.

God bless,
Marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stranded (WC 500)
© Marlicia Fernandez 5-29-14

Aaron stretched. A cool, but not unpleasant breeze wafted across his skin raising gooseflesh. He must have forgotten to shut the window again. Stupid of him, really. Summer might be fast approaching, but it hadn’t arrived yet, and mornings and evenings could be quite chilly in this neck of the woods. He grimaced. That was an understatement.

Insistent nudging forced him to turn over. “Go away, Brutus. Give me another half hour and I’ll let you out. I’ll even take you running with me”

The nudging grew more insistent. Hot breath fanned the back of his head and neck. Aaron sighed. “This better not be a false alarm you big poop machine.” Rough ground scratched his skin beneath his loose fitting clothing.

Rough ground.

Loose fitting clothing.

His fingers felt along the garment. What happened to his clothes?

Sharp teeth nipped him. He swore and sat up. The oddest creature he had ever seen stared at him, head cocked, tongue lolling out. He groaned. “I’m still here.”

The scale-covered dog-like creature whined and nudged him.

“All right, all right. I’m up” He pushed to his feet and rummaged in what was left of his belongings until he found the remains of his last hunt. He tossed half of it to the expectant animal bouncing in front of him. “You do know I’m not your mama, or your papa for that matter, don’t you Mixmatch? When I brought that egg home I thought it was breakfast. I had no idea you were in it. Whatever you are.”

Mixmatch finished of his portion with flourish. His scaled tail swept back and forth across the rocky cavern floor. Something suspiciously like a purr rumbled in his throat. Aaron stroked the creature’s smooth head. “You can’t understand a word I’m saying, can you?”

Aaron strode to the far end of the cave and searched every nook and crevice, even though he’d searched it dozens of times over the last several days. His only hope for finding his way back was well and truly gone. He should have gone with his instincts and trusted no one, but no, he couldn’t do that.

“What was I supposed to do? Kelly was scared. She needed me.” Mixmatch yawned and ambled to the little nest he had made for himself, turned three times and plopped down on his belly, tail curled around his body, head hidden between his paws. “Fat lot of help you are.” Aaron returned to his belongings, grabbed his last half candy bar, and stood at the entrance of the place he’d called home since his arrival with Kelly and the others. Everyone was gone, panicked and lost in the wilderness or dead. Kelly too, but she’d left with their only way home, once he’d explained how it worked, leaving him stranded. Thing was, it was only a theory. She should have waited.

Winged scavengers circled in the pink-tinged sky. “Maybe they’ll lead me to my dinner.” He hoped they wouldn’t lead him to Kelly.

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not a good idea to pick up an egg and expect to make an omelet with it when you get home. You never know who or what laid the damn thing. And Brutus! What has this Mixmatch watch-a-ma-callit thing done with Brutus!? I think the sooner Kelly gets there, the better off Aaron will be. Lots of fun Marlicia, sounds like you’re up to your old tricks again.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to read and to comment on this for me, Harry. It was fun to write and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I guess beggars can't be choosers when they're so hungry. I haven't got a clue where Brutus is, maybe left behind in Aaron's home? Don't know. I think Kelly might be a piece of work, but time will tell.

God bless and thanks again for your kind words. I've missed playing at the Voice.
Marlicia

Cara
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: First one in AGES Reply with quote

I haven't written much in a LONG time- even less that's a new idea- so I'm feeling very rusty. Anyway, here I go...

Sunset

It had been another ordinary day. Nothing special, but then there never was. I hardly ever went outside. It was easier like that; stay inside, stay in the dark at the back of the cave. Stay away from the accusing eyes, the filthy looks, and the men who thought it was clever to take me on, and I wouldn't get hurt.
Mostly, the people that passed the cave mouth never looked in. Sometimes they did, though, and those few divided into two groups. The ones that didn't see me, stuck their heads inside and thought there was nothing worth exploring, and the ones that DID see me and ran a mile. That hurt, the first few times, but I got used to it. Like I got used to the loneliness. The constant days and nights filled with nothing other than the sounds of people getting on with their lives, and the constant crashing of the sea.
The night it all changed, I'd decided to watch the sunset. I'd built a fire earlier on, closer to the front than I usually did. It was cold outside, so the beach was quiet, and I knew the chances of being seen were slim. So I limped right to the front of the cave, leaning on a stick made from driftwood I'd picked up and carved. The beach was empty. The tide was out, almost fully, so I knew high tide wasn't for hours yet. Apart from the seagulls, the rolling waves and the crackling of my fire, it was quiet. There was no traffic, and no sounds of shouting or even talking from the cliff top restaurants. I stood for what must have been half an hour, watching the rainbow of colours changing in the sky and- when it was almost dark- the lights of a trawler on the horizon. The dull ache in my leg eventually forced me to sit down. The cramps came after that; agony, instantly, a reminder of everything that'd happened and the reason I'd ended up there in the first place.
"Damn it..." I muttered, gently massaging the muscles in the hope it would help. That was when I first heard footsteps. Far away at first, if it hadn't been so quiet they'd have been impossible to pick out. I pulled myself back as fast as I could, ignoring the burning, stabbing feeling as my ruined leg dragged over uneven ground.
They were getting louder. I pressed myself against the back wall, hoping whoever it was would just walk straight past but knowing they probably wouldn't.
"Hello?" A woman's voice called out. I said nothing.
"I know you're in there, I... I only want to use your fire. I'm so cold..." Her voice faltered. I stayed where I was, but shouted back;
"Go on."

Done! On the off chance anybody likes it, I might as well mention it's one I'm going to continue writing. If you'd like to see whatever I come up with, please let me know.[/i]
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has grabbed my interest, Cara. What's going on? I want to know. Is the person in the cave male or female? What happened. Who is this newcomer and how will she impact the story. Definitely keep going. I'd love to know what happens next.

God bless, and welcome back!
Marlicia

Cara
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: My story Reply with quote

So, it looks like I'll post an update, as soon as it's good enough. Smile Thanks for the comments. Smile
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'll be looking forward to it.

God bless...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: