- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 221 Words

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 221 Words

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: 500 X 221 Words Reply with quote

I thought I'd posted this. I hope you have fun with it. God bless,
shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Required Reading

Harry Buschman

I read about the parting of the Red Sea and how the sea had closed in again on the mounted Egyptian troops following the Jews. It didn’t seem so real to me, not the way it did when Parson Parks read it to us back then.

The were sixteen of us in Bible studies and we’d hate it when the Parson’s wife would read to us on Fridays and you could tell she didn’t believe a word of it. But the Parson did, and whenever he took over for her if she had to do something more important, his eyes would bug out and his voice would get all ponderous-like and anybody could tell he’d been there and seen every bit of it

He really stirred us up when he opened up the chapter of Judges and told us all about Samson killing a thousand armed infidels with nothing more than a donkey’s jawbone. Then there was Noah building a boat to hold two of every animal there ever was. Parson Parks really made the Good Book more exciting than any Lone Ranger and Tonto movie could ever be.

Yes, there was a touch of magic in that leather covered Bible that Parson Parks carried around with him. Now though, when I pick it up and read it and try to find the spark again, it isn’t so easy. Somehting about life as you grow older, something the Parson was able to hold on to and we let slip through our fingers.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, Harry,

I just wanted to let you know that I've seen this, but not yet read it. I want to try to get something written to it first. Smile I can't wait to see what you came up with.

God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, my friend,

I really like this take on the prompt. It was unexpected and insightful. I think I would have liked your Parson Parks. It seems he would have made a wonderful evangelist because he truly believed and God could work through his belief. And he could make the Bible come alive in all its glory. What a gift. Loved this. Smile

God bless,
Marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Enter the Tale (WC 500) Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Here' my take on the prompt. Complete freewrite. Thanks for taking a look.

God bless,
Marlicia

Enter the Tale (WC 500)
© Marlicia Fernandez 6-21-14

“But it wasn’t always that way. Long ago, before the great uprising, children obeyed their elders. They grew in wisdom and knowledge…learned trades and lived lives to be proud of. All that changed with the coming of the minstrel.”

Lightning flashed. Thunder crashed in the distance. Electricity flickered. Anika whimpered and huddled closer. Jerika squeezed her sister’s arm. “It’s ok, Nika. We’re safe here.”

Nika looked at her with wide eyes.

“Do you want to hear more of the story, or would you rather cuddle up under the blankets?”

Her sister tilted her head and pursed her lips. “B..b..oth.”

Jerika ruffled Anika’s hair and disentangled herself from her younger sister’s hold. “You always find another choice, don’t you?” She smiled and crossed the room. “Hold on to the book while I grab your blanket from the bed. Don’t go anywhere, okay?”

Anika shook her head solemnly.

“Good girl.” Jerika stood beside the bed and frowned. Where is it? She pulled back the covers. No blanket. Rain pelted the roof and the wind howled. Electricity flickered in time with more thunder and lightning. At least the fire in the fireplace would provide light and warmth should it go out. Anika sobbed softly. “It’s ok. Nika. I’ll find it.”

Jerika dropped to her hands and knees to look under the bed. Two teddy bears and a rag doll, but no blanket. So that’s where you got to. Nika will be glad to see you. She pulled them out, got to her feet and placed them on the bed. “I can’t find your blanket, Nika. Do you know where it is? Maybe in the hamper or in the laundry?”

She didn’t really expect a response, at least not in the way others would answer. Nika didn’t talk much, hadn’t since their parents died three years earlier and left them with their great Uncle Connor in his huge rickety old house in the middle of nowhere. But she always tried to answer questions, if only with sounds and hand motions. Not this time. “Nika?”

The silence lengthened.

“Nika?” Jerika turned and bolted forward, toys and blanket forgotten. The book lay open on the floor. Jerika’s gaze swept across the room. “Nika? Where are you?” She searched every corner, every cranny, every hiding place. It wasn’t like her sister to leave without letting her know—but it was obvious that she wasn’t in the room either.

She crept toward the door. Uncle Connor had warned them to stay in their rooms after dark, no hardship since he provided all the amenities including a pantry, play area and bathroom, but what if Nika had forgotten or got scared and wandered off?” Jerika’s stomach knotted. “Nika!”

Light flashed on the wall. Jerika turned. Bright words formed over the book. “Help me.

Jerika knelt beside the book. Her sister stood in its pages, reaching out to her. The words settled above her. “Please.

“I will, Nika.” Jerika sat back on her heels. But how do I do that?

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, go for it, Rohlan, it doesn’t seem like you have much of a choice. Lancelot pulled one out of a Rowan tree and it turned the world upside down. Besides, your friends are around somewhere… and what are friends for? It’s good to see you’re up to your old tricks, Marlicia. I’ve missed these flights of fancy.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking a look, Harry. I appreciate it.

God bless.
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: