- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 223 Gate

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 223 Gate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: 500 X 223 Gate Reply with quote

Here's this week's image. I found it on the internet. I hope it sparks your creativity and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Visit to Grandma’s

Harry Buschman

Is that you out there Rebecca? Come in and close the gate after you child – you know I don’t like to keep that gate open, don’t you? You never know – you know?

Where have you been all morning, Rebecca. The tea’s gone cold and I can’t drink cold tea in my condition. Take the pot and empty it into the azalia’s along with my cup. There’s tannic acid in the tea grounds and there’s nothing better than tea grounds for azalia’s. Then go into the kitchen by way of the dutch door and make your grandmother a decent cup of tea. While you’re about it, make one for yourself and cut two slices of the upside-down pineapple layer cake, and bring them back with you when you’re finished making the tea.

You haven’t uttered a word since you’ve arrived, Rebacca. Really, children are so mute these days, A person never knows what they’re thinking. They keep everything to themselves, a person has no idea what they’re thinking. What are you thinking, Rebecca?

No, don’t tell me now, Rebeccs, tend to the tea, then come back and tell your old granny what you’re thinking.
Cara
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Wondering Reply with quote

Well done, again! I always enjoy reading what you post, but love this one because it's left me wondering. Smile
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Caro. My purpose in these little reactions to visual prompts is to find an explanation for them and not to overuse them as a writing exercise.
Cara
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice way to look at it- I tend to use them as writing exercises, but I'm still learning.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: The Return of the Prodigal Brother (WC 500) Reply with quote

The Return of the Prodigal Brother (WC 500)
© Marlicia Fernandez 7-8-14

Celia hurried along the overgrown pathway, skirting vines and roots that threatened to trip her and divots that peppered the ground waiting to turn her ankle. A heavy mist dampened her hair and skin. Soon it would soak through her clothing, but it would be worth it if she could get away.
Music and laugher followed her along the path, though no one appeared to notice her absence. If that ignorance continued a little longer, she might have a chance.

Her thoughts drifted back to afternoon tea. Sunshine danced across the garden and through the little groupings of trees, casting fanciful shadows everywhere.

“When will Billy arrive, Aunt?” she asked.

Her aunt sniffed and raised one delicate eyebrow. “William” arrived this morning. He sent word that he would come by this evening.” Her gaze swept across the manicured lawns and gardens Men and women bustled about, erecting tables, chairs and other seating. Others saw to the creation of the outdoor dance floor and food preparation. “It’s a good thing he wired us in advance with a general timetable or we never would have been ready.”

William? Celia toyed with the delicate handle of her cup. “Why all the fuss? Billy hates fuss.”

“William must be welcomed back properly. He’s been gone a long time and done great things.” Her aunt frowned across the table. “He must take his rightful place…his father’s place …”

And my father’s, Celia thought. Billy’s father was my father too.

“…running the estate and finding a suitable match for you. To do that, he must make proper connections. Lord knows I’ve tried to find someone, but you haven’t helped in the least.”

Celia shoved her cup across the table, spilling the tea on the white cloth, and jumped to her feet. “I’m perfectly capable of finding my own husband.”

Her aunt lifted a hand and a man appeared from the many people preparing for her brother’s arrival. “Miss Celia has had a little accident. Clear it up, will you, Jackson?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Her aunt stood. “Celia, walk with me.”

Celia followed her aunt to a small stand of trees. They took a seat on one of the shady benches. “If I marry, it will be a man of my choice.”

Her aunt looked at her. “You will do what is best for the family. We’re in no need of money, but our name is tarnished. A union with one of the pillars of our country will erase the blemish.”

“Billy will never allow it, never force such a marriage. Besides he’s a hero.”

“It’s not enough for your brother.” Her aunt smiled, but the expression lacked warmth. “He has changed.”

“Celia…!”

The fog shifted and the outline of the gate stood before her. She hiked up her skirt, kicked off her shoes and sprinted toward it. A man stepped out of the shadows into her path. “Billy, let me pass.”

“Come, little sister. Your future husband is waiting.” Billy’s eyes narrowed. “Don’t make me force you.”

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a bittersweet little story, Harry. I wonder if each of the characters aren't lonely in their own way. I hope they will open up to each other. I think they will both be the better for it. (I wan't to know the rest of the story.) Wonderful little slice of life piece. I truly enjoyed it.

God bless.
Marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice beginning Marlicia, dark and full of promise. Has all the trappings of a Gothic romance. “Rebecca-esque.” Keep this in a safe place, you’ll be looking for it later.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to read and to comment on this for me, Harry, and for your kind words. You know how much I appreciate it. Sometimes it's hard for me to find the time to write so I really appreciate the encouragement. Wink I will definitely keep this one in a safe place. I don't think I've ever really written anything remotely Gothic, but I love Rebecca--so it might be fun to try.

God bless and thanks again, my friend.
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: