- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 225 Key

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 225 Key

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: 500 X 225 Key Reply with quote

Here you go. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I got the image off the internet.
God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dream Room

Harry Buschman

It was a dirty trick to play on anyone, particularly anyone with ideas. The key opened the door and inside one could find the answer to everything.
But the key only opened the door from the outside. There was no keyhole on the other side.

I learned it the hard way. I was a writer, pressed for ideas, disappointed in love and ashamed of my achievements as an artist of the written word. The locked room, once opened, opened the door to my mind and ideas flowed effortlessly from pen to paper.

What else could a writer hope for. I ask you, what else could a writer want than free access to the answer to the universe – no puzzles – free access to the answer to anything.

But there was a ‘catch 22’. My mind went blank when I stepped outside. What seemed pure and simple inside, stayed inside, and my mind went blank. I opened the door by means of a black iron doorknob every bit as simple as the old-fashioned one that used be on my kitchen door. Then, and only then did I see the failure of my dreams.

The action brought to light the failure of my dreams. The facts of life sat in the chair outside – grinning. I looked down at the paper I had written in this ‘dream room’ of mine and saw the madness, the irresponsibility! How could I be so stupid? A gargoyle sat there grinning, “Let’s see what youv’e written there liftle man.”

I passed him the paper and he paid me the final insult by not bothering to read it. He simply tore it to shreds, slowly… as though it gave him great joy… and then he gave me to key to the dream room again.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Harry...that's quite a tale. The frustration and sadness in it is palpable. I think every writer can relate to this piece. That gargoyle reminds me strongly of the internal editor. He needs to take a vacation every now and then so the riches of the dream room can be properly utilized.

Wonderful take on the prompt, my friend. It was a pleasure to read, as always.

God bless,
Marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Unlocking the Dream (WC 500) Reply with quote

Here you go. Free write and hot off the keyboard, so to speak. Smile Thanks for taking a look.

God bless,
Marlicia

Unlocking the Dream (WC 500)
© Marlicia Fernandez 7-27-14

Sitting cross-legged on the ground, Seth rocked back and forth. “Aba skada isch to sich isa to wich—acasa, acasa.

“How long has your brother been like this, Sabra?”

Sabra looked up from where she crouched beside her twin and frowned. “I don’t really know. He was fine last night, no more than fine. He kept saying that he’d found the key to his dreams, to all our dreams, actually. What do think that he meant Lapian?”

“Darned if I know.” Lapian squatted beside the brother and sister. “Did he say nothing more?”

Sabra grimaced. “No. You know how is—he likes to play things close to the vest, so to speak—to keep everyone guessing. The more I pressed him, the more secretive he became. Just grinned like a deranged clown and asked if I wanted to ruin the surprise.” She sighed. “It wasn’t always like this. I always knew what my brother was thinking.”

“Or could hazard an amazingly accurate supposition,” Lapian murmured. “I’ve heard of such being the case between twins, though it isn’t as common as one might think.”

“Alak rasa, alarask.” Seth’s rocking increased and his open hands cut through the air vertically and horizontally, faster and faster. “Narasa, alakra, rasa alaka ras.”

“What’s he saying?”

Sabra put a calming hand on Seth’s arm. “I have no idea. I thought maybe you would know.”Her brother shook free of her gentle hold and glanced at his surroundings with wide, vacant eyes.

“Alaka rasa alaka ras.” He sprang to his feet. “Naras alaka ras.”

Sabra fell backward, regained her footing and grabbed her twin’s arm. “Wait! Where are you going? What’re you going to do?”

Seth shook free. “Naras alaka ras.”

“Lapian,” Sabra gasped. “I can’t hold him back.” She grabbed her brother’s arm once more. Lapian jumped to his feet and caught Seth in a bear hug from behind, pinning Seth’s arms and his twin's hand to Seth’s body.

“You know how this is going to end, Seth. You don’t have the strength or the skills to beat me yet.”

Seth bucked and rocked. He slammed his head back, missing Lapian’s chin by a hair’s breath. Lapian tightened his hold. “How about you call it quits now. You’re scaring your sister.”

A glowing door materialized out of thin air in front of them. Seth laughed. “Alaka ras. My dreams. Alaka ras naras. Release me.”

A key inserted itself into a lock that hadn’t been in the door. The door opened and together they slid forward toward the threshold. “Don’t let go of us,” Sabra shouted.

Lapian adjusted his hold and tightened his grip on the struggling man. Beneath his hold, Sabra tightened her grip on her brother’s shirt. Lapian leaned back, slowing their forward progress. “We need to work together. Pull away from the door.”

Sabra threw her weight back. Their progress slowed, but only momentarily. The pull increased and they staggered into the light and over the threshold. The door shut behind them.

Sabra screamed.

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A door that wasn’t there before! brilliant. You’re a fabulist Marlicia. They couldn’t get there before there was a door, and all the mutterings made it so, they were the key. Wish I could make it up as easily as you do. Very enjoyable piece and as always, left the reader high and
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Harry, I thought I'd responded to this earlier. I apologize. Thank you very much for your kind words regarding my little snippet. You know how much I appreciate it. I am a bit of a stinker, sometimes, aren't I? But I don't mean to be. Smile I blame the word count.

God bless, my friend and thanks again for reading and commenting and for your encouragement.

Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: