- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 224 Stars

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 224 Stars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: 500 X 224 Stars Reply with quote

Here's the next prompt (found on the internet. Please use only to spark your creativity.) I can't wait to see what you all come up with.

God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: The Last Dance (500) Reply with quote

Here you go, all. I hope you enjoy. Free-write, a bit rough, but I'm happy to have something new written.
God bless,
Marlicia
With God all things are possible

[The Last Dance (WC 500)
©Marlicia Fernandez (7-12-14)

Rina let the music guide her steps. The haunting melody alternatively attracted and repelled her, but she could not ignore its summons. The overgrown path, if it could indeed be called a path, clutched its weeds and sprawling vines close and protected divots and bumps from her stumbling steps. Starlight lit the heavens, almost to the point of newborn daylight. So pretty, and so familiar, somehow.

The music, the path and her steps took her to the top of a grassy hill dominated by a lone, majestic old broadleaf tree. Her heart fluttered. “What is this place? It seems I should remember, but…”

“Have you forgotten our promise so soon, Rina?”

That voice.

A comet streaked across the sky just like it did five years ago when she and Aidan…when Aidan…

A shadow-man stepped out of nowhere into the night. Blood rushed in Rina ears. “Who are you?” she whispered. “What do you want?"

“Don’t you know me?” He stepped more fully into the light thrown by a myriad of stars. “Why do you doubt what you see? Why do you question what you hear?”

She shivered. “Because it’s impossible.”

“Is it? Even as children, haven’t we always kept our promises to each other?”

“I don’t know…I mean…yes, of course.” She stretched out her hand. “Are you real?”

He smiled and pulled her close. “As real as you, the trees and the people of the town. You can’t touch a ghost, or a dream. They can’t touch you.”

“But you disappeared without a trace. We all thought…they put up a marker in the village cemetery. Rina pulled free and slapped his arm. “You been alive all this time and never once told me?” Her eyes filled and her lips trembled. “Why?”

“It wasn’t allowed.” Aidan grimaced. “But when they saw how unhappy you were and how little I could accomplish without giving you the chance…”

She rubbed her arms, trying to warm herself. “We?, Who, we? What are you talking about?”

“It’s a long story, I’m afraid,” Aidan said. “And one we don’t have time for right now. You’ll just have to trust me.”

She grasped his hand. “What chance did you want to give me?”

“The chance to finish the dance we started right here on this spot, five years ago as part of our pledge to one another.”

“And then?”

The music thrummed softly. He shifted his grip on her hand and slipped his arm around her waist. “Then you make a decision: follow me, and be together forever…”

“Or?”

“Remain behind and eternally apart.”

Rina settled into his arms and smiled up at him, following his steps without hesitation. “Do you have to ask?"

He twirled her around the grassy clearing lifting her over roots that might trip her. “I wanted to be sure.”

She rested her head against his chest. “Where you go, I go.”

All around them, trees and stars faded into silhouettes. No more comet, no more night. Only Rina, Aidan and the dance.

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you summed it up pretty succinctly when you wrote … “It’s a long story, I’m afraid,” Aidan said. “And one we don’t have time for right now. You’ll just have to trust me.” I think you’ll have to sit down, roll up your sleeves and write it Marlicia. Don’t leave us in the dark.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on this for me Harry (I'm still not getting notifications in my e-mail box, but oh well, LOL). I'm glad you like this little piece (and I look forward to seeing your take on the prompt). I'm not sure if this is a one off, or if there is more, but I'll see what I can do. Thank you for the encouragement, my friend. I appreciate it very much.

God bless,
Marlicia

valuesleader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, this is a wonderful post, it help me a lot

Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reading and for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it was helpful.

God bless,
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: