- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 230 Archer

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 230 Archer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: 500 X 230 Archer Reply with quote

Here's the next prompt. The image is from the internet. I don't know the artist, so please use it for inspiration only. Have fun!

God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Plan

Harry Buschman

Men scattered and took shelter in the woods. Others crossed their fingers whenever Marion drew her bow. She was undoubtedly the worst archer in the woods. The deer, the turkey and the boar could breathe a lot easier whenever Marion drew a bead on them because whatever she aimed at had a very good chance of escaping her father’s oven at the John Barley Inn.

Poor eyesight, faulty coordination – take your pick, her terrible reputation as huntswoman in the forest of Arden was well known far and wide.

So it was with a good deal of surprise when she entered her name on the Forest of Arden archer’s list as a contestant in the summer of 1520. Crowds gathered around the scroll posted on the town bulletin board. Fifty of the finest archers would compete the afternoon of the twentieth day of August… and down at the bottom of the list hastily scribbled… Maid Marion, daughter of John Barley.

August twenty was a Sunday. The archery contest was to be held immediately after church services in deference to holy writ and also to give the ministry to opportunity to participate. Promptly at noon, therefore, a horn sounded and the men of the town gathered round the firing line at the edge of town. It was then, of course, that Maid Marion’s diabolical plan was revealed.

The good people of the Forest of Arden had no knowledge of the island of Bikini, let alone the bathing attire attributed to that part of the world. They were unaccustomed to seeing those parts of the female anatomy that are revealed when a nubile woman appears wearing such attire. They were dumbfounded when Marion, so scantily clad, shouldered her quiver and drew her bow.

The contest was canceled forthwith, but not before the male archers of the Forest of Arden volunteered to a man to offer their personal instruction in the technique of archery. The menu offered at the John Barley Inn was considerably improved.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Harry, this made me smile and I needed that. What a wonderful take on the prompt. I bet next year, or perhaps the year after that, she'll give some of those fellows a run for their money. In any event, I don't think the inn will ever be without enough meat to serve their customers. Truly enjoyable, my friend. Smile Thank you for sharing it.

God bless,
Marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: The Border Guard (WC 500) Reply with quote

The Border Guard (WC 500)
© Marlicia Fernandez 11-24-14

“Hold, trespassers.” Come no further.

Derek glanced at his companion, adjusted his pack and peered into forest. “I see no signs. Why should we hold?”

“Then you are even more ignorant than you appear, for the signs are all around you.”

“We don’t have to stand for this, it’s a free country.”

“Quiet Gray.” Derek nodded toward the trees. “We’ve been lost for hours. Maybe we’ve strayed farther than we thought.”

Grayson Timor scowled. “Maybe, but we’ve been following the map. There’s nothing within miles of our camp that’s private property. “

“You are none-the-less trespassing. This is no place for your kind. Return while you can.”

“Is that a threat?” Grayson strode forward, face flushed, hands clenched. “Our kind?!?”

Derek caught the strap of his friend’s backpack. “Gray…”

“What? Are you going to take this from…” he blinked and squinted into the forest. “Why don’t you show yourself? Or are you afraid?”

A tall, slender form took shape in the dappled light, separating itself from the shadows, bow raised, arrow notched. “Is this better?”

Grayson stumbled back, nearly knocking Derek off his feet. “What are you?”

“She’s a girl,” Derek said.

“Do tell. But what’s she dressed for? Halloween?” Grayson eyed the archer. “And that weapon’s no toy. I’ve used enough to know.”

The girl looked at them as if they were stupid. “I am Lady Ehrimine, Captain of the Elfin Border Guard, and you, Derek Olson, and you Grayson Timor, should not be here.” She lowered her bow a little. “Your coming was foreseen, but uncertain. You can still go…you must go before it is too late.”

“Too late? What will happen if we’re too late?” Derek exchanged glances with Grayson. His friend shrugged, all the anger drained out of him. Gray felt it too. Felt the fear. They approached the elf. She raised her bow and aimed. They stopped and raised their hands. “What are you afraid of? Maybe we can help.”

Grayson nodded. “There are doctors …”

“You think I am crazy?” The bow trembled. “You are no longer in the world of men, humans. You have stumbled into the world of elves and magic and things you know not of. You must leave before what has been foretold comes to pass.”

“Before what comes to pass?” Derek asked.

The ground shook and bright light flashed in the sky, chasing the shadows out of the forest. “Uh…maybe the lady’s right,” Grayson said. “If you’ll just point us in the right direction, we’ll be leaving you in peace.”

A loud screech filled the air and everyone covered their ears. A winged shadow skimmed the treetops. “It’s too late now. For better or worse, you are stuck here and must fulfill your destiny” Ehrimine slung her bow across her back and sprinted forward. “Keep to the trees and follow me.” She glanced over her shoulder. “I will get you both bows. You better hope to the Creator that your skills are up the task you must now undertake.”

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d have to say Ehrimine, unlike other dwarfs I’ve known, softened mighty fast. Grayson and Derek seem nice enough and I’d venture to say the world of “elves and magic” are in their capable hands. Their hands are going to be full though, bearing in mind that apparition in the sky is drawing a bead on them. Happy Thanksgiving to all of them however … they’re in your capable hands now, Marlicia.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to read and to comment, Harry. I really appreciate it, as always. Wink I'm not sure Ehrimine has softened so much as she's being practical, LOL. The guys' hands will most definitely be full and I have a feeling they are going to need help. They aren't used to magic or apparitions like that dragon like creature that is following them. Smile

God bless and Happy New Year!
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: