- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 233 Path

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 233 Path

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: 500 X 233 Path Reply with quote

Here's this week's prompt, from the internet. Artist is Yurii Nikolaiko

God bless,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time On Your Hands

Harry Buschman

Our patio overlooked a brook. It wasn’t much of a patio, just room enough for the couple of chairs we’d drag out from the kitchen. Come to think of it, the brook was not much to write home about either. In spring it would run a bit, just enough to wash the stones that lay on the bottom. But it was our patio and our brook and Molly and me would sit out there and have our breakfast in the summertime.

We look back on those few years in the country as the best years of our lives, up until now that is. We were city people, self employed. We ran a hardware store for 60 years back in the city and I guess we’d a been there yet if we hadn’t been run outta business by Home Depot. After all, a nickel profit on a box of wire nails, or a dime on the rent of a snow blower adds up if y’don’t mind working’ yer butt to the bone and bein’ open on Sundays.

Best of all, me and Molly were together, every day all day. Not many marriages can survive that. But ours did.

What broke our marriage up was when we was together with time on our hands… facin’ the prospect of another day with nothin’ to do. It got so we’d find ourselves barkin’ at each other sitting’ out there on our patio. That’s why I went and got me a part time job over at Home Depot and Molly’s workin’ at Burger King.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took me so long to get to this, Harry. Things have been...well, you know. Smile

I love this little slice of life piece. It's very realistic. I bet they still spend time sitting by their little brook eating breakfast, and their part time jobs give them something to do and to talk about. Love it.

God bless,
Marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: The Doorway (WC 500) Reply with quote

The Doorway 3-4-15
© Marlicia Fernandez (WC 500)

“There’s always another way,” she’d said. “No path ever ends that another doesn’t take its place. If a door closes, find a window. You always have options.”

Renaunt sighed and studied his surroundings. Lispeth always said things like that. Nine times out of ten, she was right. “So what do you make of this?” he murmured.

No one answered. He wasn’t surprised. He’d lost Lispeth what seemed like a lifetime ago, yet if she’d responded, that wouldn’t have surprised him either. She’d done it before. The last time she’d told him of the danger his brother faced. Danger Colin found himself in because of his search for Renaunt.

Dappled sunlight filtered through high boughs, brightening the surrounding dimness but a little. The depths of the woodland remained cloaked in soft shadows…except for one spot. Renaunt strode along the path until he stood an arm’s length away from the door. It opened into…more shadowy woodlands with shafts of dappled light. And silence. He dropped into a crouch and studied the ground. Not many people traveled this way, but there were prints. Two sets. One person leaned on the other. He lifted his head, but any essences he might have sensed were faded almost beyond recognition. “What now, Lispeth? It’s a dead end.”

A breeze picked up, shoving branches this way and that. It felt like rain…only it didn’t. The shaft of light bathing the doorway brightened. Something small glinted in it for a moment before the light faded. Renaunt hurried forward and ran his fingers along the door jam, jerking back when something drew blood. “Karakona!”

The wound wasn’t deep. Renaunt squeezed a little blood out and wrapped it against infection. There would be time enough to clean it later. He crouched beside the doorway. Closer examination revealed a nail and a small piece of cloth, stained with his blood. He removed the drab green fabric obviously torn from the tunic of someone passing through the strange door. Was it his brother’s?

Renaunt closed his eyes and let the magic flow. Three essences became apparent, one unfamiliar, and two so similar that they must be related. He smiled grimly. He was on the right track. One of those familiar essences was his, from his blood. The other was his brother’s. Colin had been here, and he wasn’t too far ahead, perhaps a day or two.

His smile faded. But who was the third person? Was Colin in any danger from him? Renaunt pushed to his feet. There was only one way to find out. Colin had gone through the doorway, either voluntarily or under duress. He would be found somewhere on the other side.

Renaunt stepped through the doorway, but instead of continuing along the path through the woods as he’d expected. He found himself in a large, dimly lit cavern. A young woman stepped out of the shadows.

“You must be Renaunt.” She glanced at the form reclining in the shadows behind her. “Colin and I. We’ve been expecting you.”

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel close to these people, Marlicia. Renault and Colin and Lisbeth. It’s like seeing them after a long sickness. It’s nice to know the magic essences are still potent. I always catch them at a critical moment and I find they disappear just as the going gets rough. Can we have one where they take off the gloves and go at it?
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been busy with other projects with Tahlia and life in general. Sometimes it's a struggle for me to write and respond.

I'm glad you remember Colin, Renaunt and Lisbeth. That makes me happy. Smile

I'd love to give you more of the story, but the 500 word count always throws me for a loop. (Someday I'll have to show you part of my novel--I actually finished it a few years back and had it accepted, only to have the publishing company close down. I'm going through it again to clean up the edits. I think I might self-publish, if I can ever find the time to sit down and go through it.) Thank you for your patience with me. I know I must drive you crazy. Smile

God bless and thanks for the encouragement and for reading.
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: