- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 235 Tree

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 235 Tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: 500 X 235 Tree Reply with quote

image is from feedly on the internet

Sorry for the long absence. I will try to do better about keeping the prompts coming. I look forward to seeing what stories come out of this. Smile

God bless and have fun,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Seeking Guidance (WC 500) Reply with quote

I might be a little rusty, but here it goes. I hope you enjoy. Smile

God bless,
Marlicia

Seeking Guidance (WC 500)
© Marlicia Fernandez 9-9-18

Drachtan wandered along the meandering paths of the sacred garden. Fountains gushed and flowers bloomed. Insects hummed as they gathered nectar and pollinated the vegetation. Backless low benches appeared at intervals in groups of two or three around ponds or beside arbors. Single seats nestled in shaded nooks for those who sought more privacy. It was all very beautiful and all very restful, but Drachtan desired something else. Drachtan needed answers.

His soft footsteps, muted as much by practice and stealth as by the lush carpet of grasses and carefully tended mosses, took him to the top of a steep stone staircase. He paused to consider the view. Not that there was much to see other than leafy branches and assorted tree trunks. That anything smaller lived below confirmed that light, air and rain penetrated where sight could not. A bird’s cry broke the quietude below. A shiver of apprehension shot through him. Would the garden be as he remembered it? Would the tree that marked the antechamber remain? Would it allow him to pass? To speak his confusion and obtain guidance? Or would he be turned away as others had been…as he had once been, long ago.

He adjusted his robes and squared his shoulders and strode toward the steps. It was now or never. The Creator hated a coward. The fresh, light, air grew moist and increasingly dense as Drachtan descended. Shafts of light filtered through the shadows.

The stairs seemed to continue their downward path forever. Had he forgotten the way? Misremembered the location. After all, it had been years.

The steps broadened and flattened into a landing. Beside it stood the tree, tall and majestic, but the form was different. When last he’d come, a mighty oak stood in this place, now a gigantic palm towered over him. What could that mean?

“You have questions to ask, or prayers to offer?”

Drachtan bowed. “Both, I suppose.”

“Why are you here? You do not believe.”

“I have little reason to believe.”

“Then why are you here?”

Drachtan raised his head. “That is between me and the guide.” Silence answered his response. It stretched on and on. “Did you hear me?”

“I hear all.”

“Will the guide see me?”

“You will be seen, but it will do no good if you do not believe. Continue down the steps.”

“I want to believe. I always have, but it’s hard when the guidance that was sought was denied.” Drachtan descended one step at a time. “Who denies the prayers of a child? What kind of guide remains silent in a little one’s time of need?”

“Perhaps you will find your answer now—and more besides. If you seek with an open heart. Enter through the gate.”

“I see no ga…”

A gate appeared and swung open. Just beyond stood an ageless, green-haired, brown-skinned woman. She beckoned. “Come.”

Drachtan stepped through the gate. It swung closed behind him.

The woman’s eyes swept over him. “I am Mystah. How can I serve?”

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine “Mystah” is the guide and the oak tree is keeping the conversation going with Drachtan. Interesting little beginning, Marlicia. The next few paragraphs will make or break it. Drachtan wants “answers” now that he’s a man and if he’s treated like a child I’m afraid the story will languish. You’re at the helm, Marlicia … steer us straight.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tree of Life

Harry Buschman

It was ordained that all life grew from a tree in the garden. The most beautiful forms blossomed in the topmost branches, the earliest and prehistoric forms at the bottom. They lay there languishing, with no hope of climbing higher, yet within sight of the most advanced forms of life.

The tree grew steadily and it was plain to see the development in complexity of life forms as the garden changed.

The creator watched this tree grow. Even He could not imagine the full and final glory the tree, in time, would reveal. It would take ages he thought, much longer than he had the patience to wait for. Perhaps if he created a new life form not yet planned for, he could move on to other worlds. It was more important for him to create life than to watch life develop.

So he did that. He created a single male being, vastly superior to all other forms of life in intelligence yet vulnerable to the dangers of life in the garden. This being had foresight and it could see the dangers that lie in its path, and in the path of others. This being, therefore, was almost as omnipotent as the creator.

What’s more, this new creature knew it – and that was his undoing!
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reading, and for your kind words, Harry. You know how much I appreciate them. I've been having trouble focusing on writing much and I feel rusty, but there might be a story in this one. Smile

God bless and thank you again,
Marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done, Harry. It's funny how this picture evokes Garden of Eden type tales, isn't it? The poor man must have been lonely for another of his kind....unless the Creator returned and gave him a mate. And that really proved to be both their undoing. Smile

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed reading it.

God bless,
Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: