- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - GOTH CULTURE BY GARY GORDON

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GOTH CULTURE BY GARY GORDON

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: GOTH CULTURE BY GARY GORDON Reply with quote

Your piece on goth culture was very rude. I mean, sure there are those types that dress in black and wear heavy makeup and dye their hair,but they do it only because it's the stereotype thing and they know nothing about real goth culture. Goth is a very artistic beautiful scene, bands that come from that scene are nothing like bands from....say the punk scene. The bands don't sing about how they want to be accepted by the media and how they hate conformity. Their music is very artistic(ex:Nightwish, Within Temptation, Lacrimosa).Most of the songs are about love, lost love,pain, and yes even happiness. The metaphors may be grim but alot of the songs are actually beautiful. If you actually knew people from the scene and didn't talk to those Hot Topic buyers,you would see that. I am not a goth,but i am a fan of the gothic music, mostly the gothic metal. I think cathedrals, forests,graveyards, castles, etc... can be very beautiful.
I like dark poetry,but i don't hang out at coffe shops reading it. I myself write some dark poems. But I am most certainly not a goth.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't surprise me if you were in a cradle when Gary Gordon wrote his article. It's been years since he wrote about it and he's still taking abuse. He was probably writing of a Goth 'culture' that existed long before you were old enough to take interest in it.
JAlbee
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the comments/writings were rude. All one has to do is close their eyes to it. We all know you can't please everyone, that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions. I wouldn't want everyone to conform to my way of thinking. Where would the excitement in that lie. How could we have any real conversations. I of course don't always agree with the things everyone says. Sometimes I even get mad.
Do I think they shouldn't continue with that thought process simply because I got upset? of course not.

That kind of thinking is behind the word 'politcally correct'. Which is a contradiction in terms I believe. *laugh*

*sigh* *getting off my proverbial over-used soap box*

Very Happy
matt
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: That thing again Reply with quote

Yes, and let us not forget that in his essay for Goths, Gary Gordon was funny as hell, and potentially has done more for Goth culture than have many Goths.
Jenna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to GOTH CULTURE Reply with quote

Is it really that important to bash another lifestyle just because you have nothing better to do? I could never understand you people, you have so much to say about the goth culture but you've never tried to be once interested in what it really is. Yes, you are right about getting swept up with the scene, but I was a goth before I even knew what it meant. I was called a goth because of how i dressed. You never even tried to maybe look past all of the makeup and the clothes to find out who these people really are. Shit, I take the time to talk to everyone, regardless if they are goth or gay, straight, black white purple who gives a fuck. When will you come to realise that we are all the same. Perhaps you are intrigued by it and that is why you spent so much time writing that article because you are seeking out goths who can prove you otherwise. You are looking for something that you yourself contradict. If you despise us so much then why do you even bother speaking about it? Let me ask you one last thing, if someone with a normal t shirt and jeans were to go to a goth party do you think anyone would notice or give a care about him or what he's doing there? now, if a goth were to go to a "normal" kind of party do you think everyone would point him out ? you know the answer. We are not the clowns here and you are nothing special, so unless you have high credentials and a 12inch dick you have nothing to say about us when you are nothing, none of us are.

Thank you for your time.

Jenna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to GOTH CULTURE Reply with quote

Quote:
so unless you have high credentials and a 12inch dick you have nothing to say about us when you are nothing, none of us are.

good gawd, I guess that disqualifies me.....

Embarassed
mattt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: point? Reply with quote

You're attention getting and I have a small dick.

You know, what annoys me most, is this advertizement for GOTHS, that this has become. I don't suppose that there is a reverse here, wherein GOTHY folks assert themselves via attention gathering offense to vanity or insecurity.

Shit yea, I have had friends who played GOTH. But that's no more sensible than playing software programmer or hamburger cook.

Everyone gets insulted everyday. Why is your plight at the top of plight lists.

I'm one of them there folks who doesn't give a damn what you call you are. But why should I overwrite myself to hear you?

Amen.
JAlbee
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

Well I don't have the proper qualifications to say anything.....

*laughing* you just have to laugh, come one now, if she believes that having a large **** makes you able to make comments, then she dosen't have the qualifications to speak either.

You have to LAUGH at this, really come on....don't let this bother you.
Look at the comedy behind it..
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sobering part of it is that the author of this piece has long forgotten it. It appeared on the site years ago, and every time a Goth reaches the age of literacy, he or she reads it and feels compelled to comment.

Goths are notorious surfers and lurkers on the internet and they zero in on every article critical of them. The Goth culture is not so sacrosanct that is immune from criticism. No one needs a 12" dong to criticize.
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: What is Goth? -- it is so new. Reply with quote

First I would like to say that a person sporting an uncivilized tong is just that. Harry and Matt are very correct is referring to this as an old post and as the owner, Webmaster and janitor of this great resource I have seen many comments as well as private e-mail discussing this topic and I issued a challenge before for some one from the Goth community to write a piece representing the side of the Goth. Goth of course
de-evolved from the punk scene (so it is not very old) very dangerous and violent time in music. I grew up as a hippy (Peace and Love) and use to make fun of people in suits (the suits made fun of me as well) then I grew up. Most Goths will grow up as well and find their way in life as all the other fads do.

In Calgary there is an old master stained glass crafter and artist and he has a daughter that dresses in black with lace gloves and long black dress to the floor with boots that cover up to her knees and black lipstick and a hat with mesh and all the callings of a Goth woman but there is no punk attitude at all not in the least and yet I would call he gothic.

What is your description of Goth… a lot of Goth sites don’t even seem to know, at least as a hippy I knew what the mantra was!
Jenna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: nonsence Reply with quote

First of all my love, I've had an interest for literature since I could read. I meant the 12inch dick thing to make you understand that no one was ever born with something that long, its made. Some people "think" they have the right to put another person down just because they feel they are superior or better than others. Idont need to explain my actions as you dont either, I dont have the 12inch dick but I dont put anyone down for no reason, im better than that. That is why I replied to his long before comment, there is no need for idiocy here we are all adults and should respect one another. I plainly dont give a damn what anyone does, I have a job, go to school and have a son, there is more to life than my wardrobe. I dont laugh at him, I pity him and advice that if he reads this one day that he look into the goth scene a little more, he might even like it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: nonsence Reply with quote

[quote="Jenna"] I dont have the 12inch dick but I dont put anyone down for no reason, im better than that. That is why I replied to his long before comment, there is no need for idiocy here we are all adults and should respect one another. quote]

Hmm....are you sure you are an adult, or a child with a potty mouth. You speak like an angry child, throwing a temper tantrum in here, now you want to be taken seriously as an adult. Really Jenna think before you speak.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: nonsence Reply with quote

[/quote]First of all my love, I've had an interest for literature since I could read.
Quote:

You may have learned to read Jenna, but your communication skills need work polishing.
Jenna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Who exactly are you to tell me how to speak? for some reason you come in here acting like it is your right to dictate my way of life. there is no need to worry about when and how I curse, but perhaps you dont curse and you are offended by my last comment. I'm really sorry though, if it helps. Nevertheless it doesnt motivate me to change who I am and if you want to call me names feel free. This is the reason why alot of Goth people detest some of you, me, I see it as a learning experience. I like it when people respond the way they do (this means you) because it lets me realise that some dont care and dont want to understand others. You lack an opened mind, there is so much out there you havent seen and so much you can learn from. There is no need for insults... oh, you can qoute me again if you'd like.
Me again

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Goth? -- it is so new. Reply with quote

Clive wrote:
First I would like to say that a person sporting an uncivilized tong is just that. Harry and Matt are very correct is referring to this as an old post and as the owner, Webmaster and janitor of this great resource I have seen many comments as well as private e-mail discussing this topic and I issued a challenge before for some one from the Goth community to write a piece representing the side of the Goth. Goth of course
de-evolved from the punk scene (so it is not very old) very dangerous and violent time in music. I grew up as a hippy (Peace and Love) and use to make fun of people in suits (the suits made fun of me as well) then I grew up. Most Goths will grow up as well and find their way in life as all the other fads do.

In Calgary there is an old master stained glass crafter and artist and he has a daughter that dresses in black with lace gloves and long black dress to the floor with boots that cover up to her knees and black lipstick and a hat with mesh and all the callings of a Goth woman but there is no punk attitude at all not in the least and yet I would call he gothic.

What is your description of Goth… a lot of Goth sites don’t even seem to know, at least as a hippy I knew what the mantra was!

Well, Nowadays alot of goths aren't into punk, they have attached themselves to the metal genre and i think alot of them listen to techno too,lol. Anyhoo, the goths from Siouxie sioux's time are way diiferent from the goths of now, those goths were just punks that didn't look like all the other punks at shows. Now i guess they are more emotional/artistic people that don't have such negative attitudes. I never said anyone couldn't critisize the goth culture, I just don't think they should be so negative. Goths don't wear black and other dark colors to be diiferent, alot of them wear those colors because they are mournful colors and thats how they feel.The goths i know don't talk about how much they hate the cheerleaders and how they will never conrform to society. They are just like regular people, but at the same time they are so different. They can see the beauty in the most sad, ugly, scary or plain things, i really like that about them. I have goths friends,but i am in now way associated with the goth scene...but like I said, i do love the goth metal.
mattt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Could...? Reply with quote

Okay, thank you for sharing that.
Could we stop talking about goths now? Please.
If a person wants to paint his/her face any color perceivable to the eye, I don't care.

Shall we start a topic about my back pain? I'm sure that would be interesting for everyone.

I'm fairly sure that we all worry about things. I'm sure that we all mourn things. In that, if you're mourning for something, you might identify it so we will all be more understanding. Not all of us are psychic.

I'm being reminded of a writing competition. Some folks wrote wonderful, very real things. The winner of the competition was not one of them, but the person who wrote a fantasy-horror story about a young lady who never got picked to be the cafeteria monitor. I'm being reminded of a high school arts competition where the winner was not an expressionist, but the person who wrote about how super the football team was, and why we should all shed a tear and dedicate our lives to such glory.

I was told long ago, that the ultra liberals made it around the circle to be conservatives.

It's tiring now. I'm worn out on it. I'd like us to gather our lost and move on.

Gary Gordon wrote more than just that essay. His poem about an uncle was hilarious, and potentially GOTHIC!!!!!!!!! I haven't heard you compliment him. -Nonetheless, you might send him some money for having created the stage for you.

You know, yesterday, someone made fun of my jacket. I do not care to talk about it again today. I'd prefer to try to create something that has nothing to do with that event.

Hey, here's a joke for you. I hope you can smile.

Q: What's the definition of INFERIOR?

A: A Harry Potter fan.
Jenna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Hehehe Reply with quote

Now that my friends was funny. Heres one from me... Three vampires walk into a bar, The first Vamp asks the barkeep "a warm glass of your finest blood" So the barkeep tends to him and the vamp is delighted. The second vamp asks the barkeep "can I have a glass of your cheapest blood please" the barkeep tends to him and he is delighted. The third vampire looks at what the other two were having and calls the barkeep "sir, could I have a hot cup of water?" the barkeep was surprised and asked "I'm sorry for asking but why dont you perhaps order some blood?" the thrid vampire pulled out a tampon soaked in blood and grinning replied "all I wanted was some tea"

*I hope it was funny for you because when I heard it I laughed my head off*
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy! Gary Gordon has a point, hasn't he?

I vote to pull this thread off the forum. Anybody agree?
mattt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Inasmuch Reply with quote

Inasmuch as I hate to remove attention from Mr. Gordon's Good work, I do feel that with apologies to Him, it might be a positive step.
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Standing by Reply with quote

I have fired off an e-mail to him and I hope it is a current address…

I will hold the Thread till I see if I can get his attention and to visit the forum…
mattt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Keeping the work Reply with quote

Keeping Mr. Gordon's work is a good thing. Removing this list might be a good thing.

There's no reason to depost his essay.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, i didn't mean to make you mad. I don't know gary gordon and this is the first piece of work i have read from him, so i cannot judge him, i just disagree with the way he presents it. But then i guess being rude and obnoxious is one of the only ways to get your point across the table nowadays. Go ahead and delete this topic, i was just seeing what the reaction would be....I was expecting alot of rude people talking about how i need to stop being a p*$$y , but you guys were actually respectful, thank you.
mattt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Minorities Reply with quote

Mr. Gordon wrote something that was funny to me. I envision thr writer and his emotions at a time while writing something like that. -You know, if Goths were featured as the target of humor on "The Simpsons", everybody would love it. All that attention is warmness.

I do not believe that GOTH, is considered to be a minority group, and might not qualify for much defense against a humorous essay.

I do believe that the essay is intelligent, and I would recommend it to anyone who can appreciate, and differentiate. The essay does not inspire action against anyone. It inspires laughter, which is not a bad thing. It actually brings people closer. They talk about something.

Success is when a two people (even if one is a Goth) participate in helping a person with a cast on his/her leg carry the groceries upstairs. The act is small in the Universe, but it is still nice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a really nice perspective on things, thanks for sharing that
mattt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Good. Smile Can we shut up about it now and get back to discovering other individuals?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: