- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 02 Rider

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 02 Rider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: 500 X 02 Rider Reply with quote

I think I finally did this right. Wink Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. The artist is Charles Keegan.

http://www.keeganprints.com/Available_prints.htm

shadowlight

Last edited by shadowlight on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlicia, I can't write so-called flash fiction. But I have a poem to this painting...

On a Black Horse

Some day you’ll appear on a black horse.
I’ll see you on a horseback from afar.
You’ll dismount it and I’ll hear your voice,
“Lady, you dazzled me like the brightest star...”

I’ll lower my eyes, burning with shame
And give you my silk lacy handkerchief.
“Lady, could you tell me your name?”
I’ll raise my head, though I’ll be stunned a bit...

You and your horse will be very tired,
So I’ll offer my castle to you,
Though my burning cheeks will be still red,
Though the sudden feeling will be quite new...

Some day you’ll appear on a black horse.
I’ll see you on a horseback from afar.
This day I’ll find my life-giving source.
But today I still don’t know where you are...

Jolanta Smile
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brave he is, but not too smart. Why is he driven to go on these quests of his, always in the cold, always during a blizzard. Then we are forced to turn back mid-way -- even the damn dragons are smart enough to keep out of the cold -- and I must slog back through the freezing drifts, while he sits up there in warm furs.

Why could't it be spring? I would enjoy carrying him down into the valley, across the stream, up to the castle. Oh, how I enjoy trotting down this hill and galloping through the sprouting grass when the new sun floats above the kingdom.

We will never make it back today at this pace with him on my back. He seems not to be paying attention, probably swooning over that princess of his. There, just beyond the turn, where the road narrows and the cliff is steep. While he's off guard, I'll take a slip and rear up suddenly. If all goes well . . . he's off my back. While he rolls over the edge, I'll go for help. Let them send a rescue party while I, his mighty steed, am tended to.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lost Camelot

by Harry Buschman

“Sir Bedivere, the last of all his knights ... “ That’s how the story goes. You remember “Morte D’Arthur” of course, in Camelot many years ago, long after the wars with the Saracens and the search for the Holy Grail.

Ah yes ... “The splendor falls on castle walls,
And snowy summits old in story;”

It rarely rained in Camelot and no one could ever remember a day with snow. But when Arthur died, the candles were all extinguished and it snowed heavily. Sir Bedivere, now released from his vigil, rode away sadly. His last view of the castle of Camelot was clouded in mist. He paused on the road to Lyonesse and drew Excaliber in salute to Arthur and the quest for the Grail. His steed, hearing the steel drawn from the scabbard, searched the snowy road ahead for a horseman who was not there.

Sir Belvidere’s eyes grew dim with tears as the sight of Camelot grew dimmer. He wondered if ever again mortal eyes would behold the castle of Camelot. Perhaps not but ... the legend would remain and the search for the Grail would never end.

But, as we know now, the search is over. The castle, deep in the mountains has lately been discovered by Sir Monty Python and his stalwart minions. Though horseless, they clip-clop their coconut shells for the sound of hoofbeats. Fearless, adventurous and above all witty, they have stormed the castle walls, violated the maidens and placed the Grail in the pawnbroker’s window. The magic of Camelot is gone. Just as the magic of anything is gone when the magician explains the trick.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Haunted (WC 476) Reply with quote

Hi, all,

Thanks for taking a look.

shadowlight

Haunted
© Marlicia Fernandez 1-21-06 (WC 474)

Guilt haunted Foqil, a whispering reproach, a taunting accusation, and a constant reminder of his failure. He couldn’t sleep. If he tried, if he closed his eyes, he saw the raging flames and heard the piercing cries of innocents forever lost. He felt the terror of that long-ago night, undiminished by the passage of time. The scent of death filled his nostrils as he stood, unbloody sword dangling from his hand as his city burned to the ground. And then he’d wake, shaking. If only he had acted differently.

Now he had a second chance, if the old man spoke the truth. But what did Foqil know about the odd old hermit who seemed to know everything about him? Nothing much. Not that it mattered. The old man offered a way to make amends.

The temperature dropped and the wind picked up. Foqil reigned in his mount and studied his map. This should be the place, but he couldn’t be sure. The trail disappeared into a wall of white. He urged his horse forward. The animal tossed his head and snorted.

“Easy, Badara.” Foqil leaned forward and patted his mount’s neck. “Easy.”

Badara whickered and started through the cold, wet, wall with cautious steps, his hooves sliding on patches of ice hidden beneath soft drifts of white. Within minutes, swirling snow limited Foqil’s line of sight to less than a sword’s length in any direction. Should he go back or continue on before he lost all sense of direction? A frigid gust blew his cloak back from his body and he shivered. He couldn’t stay where he was and he couldn’t fail. Not again. That left one choice.

Foqil gave Badara his head, trusting in the warhorse’s proven sense of direction. They traveled blind through snow and sleet and cloud until the weather slowed and then cleared to reveal his destination. “By all that’s sacred,” he muttered. “I didn’t think it possible.”

He stared across the chasm his heart pounding in his chest. How did it get there? Jifasa beckoned him from the bosom of the mountain, but not the Jifasa of Foqil’s nightmares. This was the home of his youth, before the massacre, before his mistake destroyed it. This was the home he’d come to save. Again. This time he would not fail. But could he reach it?

Foqil gripped his weapon. No bridge connected the trail with the town, and the road ended with a gate over a cliff. Still, there had to be a way. He pulled his hood over his head. The old man said it wouldn’t be easy, that even to begin Foqil would need faith and courage. Would he be strong enough to make the right decisions, whatever the cost? Foqil lifted his sword and urged Badara forward. The gate swung open. That’s what Foqil was going to find out.
[end]

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolanta,

I really enjoyed your poem. The painting seems to have brought out the romantic in you. What a lovely piece. I think many women can relate to the idea of their knight in shining armor coming for them. Very nice. Smile

Dave,

I love the humor in your piece, and what an interesting point of view. The poor, put upon noble steed. LOL It would serve his master right if he was dumped into the snow. Not hurt, mind you, but just enough to allow the poor horse a little peace and warmth. Thanks for the giggle.

Harry,

As always, your take on the prompt makes me both giggle and think. Monty Python indeed. What a thing to be done to the Holy Grail. I found the first part very poetic and bittersweet and the second very humourous. It was a very interesting combination. I liked it.

shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlicia’s 500 stories always end in a question, like serials in the best Saturday afternoon movies of my youth. I’m sure we’ll learn more about Foquil and his lost city in a new installment. She’s fascinating yet different in this regard -- the rest of us seem satisfied to write a finite impression of the picture as a whole and move on to something new for the next one.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, Harry. Smile As for Foqil. I'm not sure if this is a new story or if he will become Renaunt (or another character in that tale) and morph into that existing story in progress. Hmm...

Thanks for reading.

Marlicia (aka shadowlight)

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: A Brave Knight and His Steed Reply with quote

He had set out to protect his kingdom and his countrymen, now he was lost in blinding blizzard. "Where the hell am I?" he wondered aloud, strainging to see in the blinding white. More importantly how could he possibly get where he wanted to go if he couldn't see anything? He sighed, patting his horse on the neck. "Well, we tried didn't we?" he asked the horse. Suddenly he spotted something in the midst of the storm. Could it be? 'No, that can't be right,' he thought. Before him loomed a giant stone grey castle, perhaps getting caught in this blizzard was what had led him here. At last he could complete his mision. Cool
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Heidi,

It's nice to meet you. I'm Marlicia (also known as shadowlight).

This is an interesting little snippet that leaves many questions unanswered. Who is this man? What is he protecting his countrymen from? What place has he stumbled upon and how will it help him in his quest? Or will it help him in his quest? Maybe it will keep him from it. Very nice.

shadowlight

dkneip
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: The No-Show Reply with quote

The King would have his head for sure this time. And all on account of misdirection!

"Damn!" the jester shrieked over the howling wind, finally spotting the castle in the far and away distance.

The map was useless, obviously. He balled it up furiously and tossed it with disgust! "Whoever came up with those directions is a fool," he yelled. "And I am the greater fool for following them!"

The King's 70th birthday celebration started promptly at 3pm and he was to provide the entertainment. He had spent the previous three nights planning skits and routines, practicing his balloon animals and swallowing swords.

Well, so much for that! The King would never allow him to show his face in the kingdom again.

"And he'll probably tell all the other rulers never to hire me for entertainment," he mulled before sadly nudging his horse and riding off.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I've seen your name before, but we haven't yet met. I'm glad to meet you.

I like this little story. It's so sad. I feel sorry for the Jester. If only he could think of some particular, really fantastic trick that might put him back in the king's good graces. Or...he could retrieve the map and give it to other jesters so that they would all be in the same difficulty and the royal houses would be forced to consider his services. Hmm...

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it.

shadowlight (aka Marlicia) Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: