- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Table for Two on a Balcony

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Table for Two on a Balcony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Paragraph Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkneip
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Table for Two on a Balcony Reply with quote

The setting was charmingly perfect. Out on the balcony, the air was still and the night was lit by candlelight. In the distance, someone gently played guitar and the quiet chatter of diners all around was refreshing. At a table for two, Roger sat alone, waiting.. As a nervous habit, he padded his breast pocket with his palm every few minutes. The little box was still there.
by dkneip

"Two hours,” the maitre d' told the young girl.

“My god,” the waitress answered, “That is so sad! Odds in the kitchen are he’ll wait until we close.”

“I know,” the older man replied, “but, I’ve watched him for five years. Tonight, at nine o’clock, he’ll call one of the waiters over and ask for his bill. He’ll apologize for any inconvenience, send his compliments to the Chef, stand, fold his napkin, place a large tip under his wine glass, and walk away. Tomorrow evening, he’ll be back, but this time, at eight sharp, he’ll take the little box out of his pocket and place it on the table next to the other wine glass.”
by Linda

"People like that make me sick," the waitress said. "Can't he accept the inevitable? She's not coming."

The waiter shrugged. "Perhaps. Who knows. Wouldn't it be wonderful if she did?"

"It's a waste," the girl said. "He should bring a woman with him. He could ask me, I'd play the game with him. I can eat like a lady -- I'd make him smile."
by Harry

A second waiter passed by with two steaming plates. He sniped, to the waitress, "Just because you work at a classy restaurant, dear, doesn't mean you're classy!" And he hurried away, zipping through the crowd and vanishing around a corner.

"We went out once! ONCE!" she steamed, to the amusment of the older waiter, before storming back into the kitchen.
by dkneip

“For two?” the maitre d' asked two days later, and in response to the excited voice on the other end of the telephone. “Why, yes, yes of course. I believe we have the perfect table. It's on the balcony overlooking the bay, and, in fact, we have musicians on call every night. We look forward to serving you.”

The older man wondered at the excitement in the caller's voice, but, few stories surprised him anymore. Most of the people who reserved the little table came full of hope and dreams. When they left, they were happier, deeper in love, and willing to share—and some, like the man he knew as Roger, left shattered—broken by the disappointment of their own dreams. Maybe I should write a book, the older man thought.
by Linda

'I wonder what I would call my book?' the old man wondered as he went about his duties that day. Perhaps he would ask the other waiters and waitress what they thought.

Meanwhile Roger was feeling better than he had in a long time. The woman he had been hoping would call had called him this very afternoon. Her name was Sharon and she said she was back in town for awhile and wanted to get together for dinner. Sharon was also the woman he had almost proposed to 2 long years ago. He could hardly wait to see her again, he wondered what she looked like now. Would she show up at the reastuarant? Or would he just have to go home broken and beaten down once more?
by Heidi

Last edited by dkneip on Fri May 06, 2005 5:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, what did all that have to do with what he had in the box? not a damned sight. People were so quick to assume. He had looked at so many differing bits of information before that date and that time had leapt out at him and - just as before - he had returned there expecting to see a certain something. The fractals were most definitely in alignment. As above, so below.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Paragraph Project All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: