- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Black and White Imagination

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black and White Imagination

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Black and White Imagination Reply with quote

What stories or memories of the past come flooding forth?
My mom took this picture 60 years ago.

Write a story about the picture you see posted here.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Up here Reply with quote

Up here in Alberta

Up in Alberta the oil is so close to the surface that a two year old child can pump it out. This is a picture of little Francine Vachon pumping crude for her Daddy’s tractor way up in Fort Assiniboine.

We have to be especially careful with our prize herd of Hereford up here in the rolling plains, we tie one to the other in case one steps into a spongy spot. Same goes for the jackamooses too. I said jackamooses - you never heard of jackamooses? They’re a blend of moose and jack rabbit. I guess you folks don’t have ‘em back in the East, but out here they raise hell with the root vegetables. We put up with ‘em only because they make such good eatin’ -- sort of a one dish meal, if you know what I mean.
janett
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: deleted Reply with quote

"poof"

man i love that edit button

Last edited by janett on Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Janett Reply with quote

Janett, can you please explain?

Is this picture of yours in response to Clive's photograph, or is it your intention to introduce a new theme? If the latter is the case you should have opened a new topic. Do you want me to delete this?

Harry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Harry Reply with quote

yes, it was a response, using clive's photograph as a take off point, i chose chaulk pastel medium, and cut flowers as a still, representing fragmented memories, the water pump was pumping..lol....still, probly doesn't belong on a literary site..perhaps one day i will find words or the words will find me.
thankyou for your insight i highly respect. .. Sometimes i need to write something down and read it from outside perspective to see it

janett
Theresa Allen
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Black and White Imagination Reply with quote

I am hungry.

My belly thunders with want and need.

My mind is a perfect vacuum.

I want, need, crave satiety.

Will you fill me up?
dkneip
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: The Water Pump Reply with quote

This old water pump,
Went thumpedy-thump-thump-thump,
Anytime and,
everytime,
Someone pulled it's handle.

Little Izzy Sue,
Knew just what to do,
She grabbed her smile,
From a pile,
And slipped on mismatched sandles.

Watching was the clock,
Singing tickedy-tick-tick-tock.
And Izzy Sue,
At five o' two,
Climbed high atop her step stool.

Bucket in it's space,
She sweetly took her place,
And grabbed the beam,
With high esteem,
Which really was a handful.

Thumpedy-thump,
Went the pump,
Tickedy-tock,
Went the clock,
As her pot filled up with water.

"At five O three,
I'll make some tea!"
Said Izzy Sue,
At three foot two.
Just like her Mammy taught her!
lambie
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through the attic for her yearly Spring cleaning routine - she happened upon a small shoebox with an assorted of black & white photos taken from her youth. She found pictures of her older sister, two younger brothers, and a few words written on the back of each to note names and dates. When Juliana pulled the last photo from the box, she found a picture of an unknown blond little girl. With no name or date reference, and no clue who she was, the photo was smiled upon and put aside, while Juliana continued to clean.

Pausing to shift some boxes a few feet to dust cobwebs from the corner, a small carved marking in a floorboard caught her attention. Setting the boxes down, she moved the floor lamp closer to better see the unusual marking. "Looks foreign or something," she said to herself, tracing her fingers over the edges of the hand-carved etch.

The attic was very old, and had previously been part of an original farm house from the 1800s, and there had been many families that had lived there previously. Assuming the children may have used this room as a play area, Juliana smiled and dismissed the marking as anything other than childish mischief with a shake of her head.

As she hummed and swept away the accumulated dust, the breeze swept the picture off its resting place and onto the floor, to be forgotten again until next year.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Black and White Imagination Reply with quote

Clive wrote:

I know he’s coming home—you see
He promised, and I’ll tell ya
the reason grandpa left me be
was bubba’s dog named yella—

He took to barking in the night—
then grandma heard him bellow—
and she told grandpa, “Soon as light
go find that dog named yellow.”

So I’ll just wait here all the day,
My grandpa won’t forget me—
He’ll fetch that hound and then he’ll say,
“Hey sissy, you’re my sweet pea!”
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught in an act of balance as I always seemed to be in photographs - balanced between what I was and what I was becoming, between how i felt and how I knew I'd look. It's not as if I ever forged a smile though -- more like the person taking the photo was drawing it out of me like I see myself here drawing the water.

I was so young and, though I thought getting water up was difficult back then, it's so much harder now -- like drawing forth memory from a dried up head. Good thing I've got these photographs. Good job the album remembers - I remember the quality of that act but this crystallises it for me; gives me an anchor ... makes it real. I can taste that water again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: