- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - What Engels Won't Do

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Engels Won't Do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Paragraph Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkneip
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: What Engels Won't Do Reply with quote

I could never expect Engels to come to my aid; he's got a selfish streak going he don't want to break! But it would do him real good to help me out with some things. I got boxes to move. Plenty o' them boxes!
by Daniel

Well, he better get himself over here, that's all I can say. He's got as much to lose on this deal as I have. Just because he's only got one leg he thinks he can dance around his responsibilities.
by Harry

Engles, my buddy Michael Engles, always a fun loving guy. Until the accident. Anybody had a problem, needed help, Mike was there to help. Sure he'd clown around, but he'd lend a hand. Moved around like a playful puppy . . . never stopped yapping . . . kept you on your toes. "Hell, Mike," I'd say, "you're maken me nervous. I can't concentrate."
by Dave

Unfortunately Mike never seemed to listen when I told him to be quiet. One day while he was helping me move boxes I said, "Mike if you don't shut up I'm going to whack you over the head!" "Sure, you are!" he replied sarcastically. "I'm serious, if you don't stop your yammering I'll hit you with this baseball bat!" For a moment Mike was silent, his glance went from me to the baseball bat and back again. Then he shook his head and moved another box. Yet ten minutes he was talking nonstop. "Okay Mike I didn't want to have to do this but.." "Oh come on you aren't really going to hit me are you?" "I told you to be quiet but you just didn't want to listen did you?" I asked glaring at my friend. I took the bat from out of the box near me and lifted it up high in the air, then brought it down on Mike's head hard. "Ow!" Mike yelled. "I didn't think a plastic bat would hurt so much!" "That'll teach you to be quiet." I reply with a chuckle. It's been a long time since that day, I wonder what makes Mike think we wouldn't still have good times like that now?
one long paragraph by Heidi

Last edited by dkneip on Thu May 12, 2005 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think a lot about Mike. Plenty of people loose an arm or a leg, but they all don't all act like life is over. Then again, I'm not sure how I'd act if something like that happened to me.

Maybe it's what else happened to him around the same time as the accident. Too many things all at once.
dkneip
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't spend another second thinkin' about that stump. We all got our problems and mine is these boxes. A good lot of this junk is his too! I'll do better to sell it before movin' it. I could fetch a nice dime from that old computer of his. And there's a monkey cage he bought at a rummage sale he just had to have. But I wouldn't be too crazy to throw it all in the river, either.
Father Luke
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does time go, really? Why do the memories I have of Mike seem more real than what's true?
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps all this stuff just anchors him here. Looking at all this stuff I think his physical presence may be more tangible than mine. It's too heavy for me to move by myself. I need a hand. Need to offload some of this rubbish. It's gathering dust - dust like virgin snow that no-one's moved through in a while. I'm disappearing physically under dust and figuratively under the oppressive shadow Mike's casting.
janett
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proudly sporting the new leg the doc had ordered for him. Mike Engles strode thru the door, carrying his old wooden leg with him. He felt like a new man and it showed in his stride. "The olympic torch' he smiled silently, setting it down beside the boxes, the boxes that just wouldn't go away. That's when the idea struck hm.
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notion of what Mike was, what he represented. It wasn't the leg that was the Olympic Torch but Mike himself -- Mike was like a meme that travelled down through the tics of a collective consciousness, being passed on from one person to the next. This tic manifested in other places in smaller less obvious ways, but occassionally it took on a physical form as definite of that of Mike Engels. He had caught Mike like a cold from the undermind. Mike wasn't so much a person as a personification -- of what though? Of the selfishness of society and its disregard for people.

Was that perhaps a tad overdramatic? He shook his head, noticing out of the corner of his eye that a puzzled look passed across Mike's face -- no, he was right: the evidence sat all about him ... all this flotsam and jetsam told the truth about someone who could disappear like Mike had and then turn up full of bluster and empty of any care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Paragraph Project All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: