- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 03 Gallery

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 03 Gallery
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> By that I mean, you can't always write what comes to you at the spur of the moment.<<

On the other hand, Dave -- thatís what this 500 word exercise is all about. It is designed to strengthen a writerís ability write off the top of his or her head. Thereís really no time to consider things - to go back and reconsider them - to develop and redevelop. Itís do or die, like a school assignment that must be handed in tomorrow and youíve still got a math and history exam to cram for.

Itís best to keep the picture prompt in front of you, let it be your guide and try to pull the wool over the readerís eyes.

Remember: ďIn many ways writing is the act of saying I, of imposing oneself upon other people, of saying, ďlisten to me, see it my way, change your mind.Ē - Joan Didion
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Harry. This is a great place to write off the cuff and get the ideas down. Then, if they seem to work or pique interest, the piece can be fleshed out and expanded. I know I have come up with a lot of ideas for works in progress from 500 club exercises. Wink

Having said that, I also see what Dave is saying. Laughing If you want to do something with this, more details would be great.

As for the endings themselves, Heidi, I still like the happy ending better, though if you are going to do something with this piece later on, it might be a good idea to give the reader some hint that Brian would want to forgive her...or even that she is deluding herself that that is the case. Regarding the alternative ending, there is a lot of potential to it, depending on what tone you are striving for. Why don't you play with the piece a bit and see what you like best? Then you can post the expanded piece for feedback. I'd love to see where this goes.

shadowlight

PS. I have renamed the last two picture prompts and will be using word titles on any prompts I post in the future. It was brought to my attention that it might be easier to remember what was written for a name as opposed to a number...and I agree. LOL

Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very interesting to write a story in such a way that no ending would be necessary...

Jolanta Cool
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short stories don't have endings, Jolanta. Life goes on and what happens after the story stops is another story. A short story is only a snapshot - an incident, there is always more to come.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, you're right, I'm guilty of putting too much thought into and doing too much editing for these exercises. Thanks for clarifying what they are designed for.

However, on this particular comment to Heidi, I was responding to her request for an opinion on an alternate ending in the sense that Marlicia understood it.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: endings Reply with quote

Dave thanks for your feedback. I agree with you, like many of you said I came up with that ending on the spur of the moment; hence the lack of seeing Brian having a reason to forgive her. I don't plan on doing anything with it anytime soon or ever really. Right now I'm working on at least one poem extensively here at school with 2 professors, just handed my advisor & English professor Wolf another poem for The Sequel (literary magazine here on campus) and my religion teacher something else to read. I'm also working on a collection of poems/excerpts/short stories to give to a friend as a present for some random holiday. Hence, I have no life right now between all that classes, eating and sleeping..what is that anyway? Is that where you close your eyes and don't think about anything? If it is then I've had no sleep for the past couple of days.
janett
Poster Practitioner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: endings Reply with quote

hi Heidi,
I hear ya on the sleep thing, i guess we get used to it. Shocked Laughing
Good luck on the writings and studies, it sounds exciting times for you.

I like your story a lot, and the very interesting points made of it.. Personally, i don't get the happy ending>>jenna lost in delusion and brain, "He didn't care..."

I think the story is well written, still, good work with the dialogue and stuff, makes one read what they're reading.

Throwing it into a drawer for 6 weeks, months, and/or years is a good idea.

thanks for sharing Heidi. you have a real talent.

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: ideas Reply with quote

Very true Janet, I wasn't planning to do anything with this idea in the first place. I very rarely do with the prompts I post on here. I already have my story I'm working for that Wink Laughing ! At any rate thanks for your post, I was surprised that a lot of people found my ending happy, while it ends well for the couple I think it was more of a reconcliation for them but it doesn't make everything roses for them. Perhaps people could go off of what I've written and we could pump some juice into the seemingly defunct/lack of psots into the Paragraph Project eh? Just an idea.
dkneip
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Mr. Brillston's First Show Reply with quote

Mr. Brillston nervously tapped his finger against his teeth.

A lively, dapper lady approached. Her hair was pulled back so tight it made her features quite distinct and he felt he was looking at something from another world!

"We're almost ready, Matt," she said intensely.

"Please, I asked you before to call me Mr. Brillston. I do not want you calling me anything but Mr. Brillston."

She didn't answer but only stood there looking strangely back at him, which was an easy task for her.

After a moment of anguish, he said, "Fine, Mrs. Glouhd. I've decided on the name for the gallery. I think it should be 'Art Deco-licious'. What do you think?"

What COULD she think? She hated it and hated everything about Mr. Matt Brillston and everything about his 'art', which she privately always referred to as "two letters shy of 'trash'"."

"Fine," she whinced, which wasn't easy for her. "I will let the printer know of your wishes." And she left the gallery floor.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Dkneip's story Reply with quote

Hey dkneip thanks for your input there's a new one up too, I haven't posted anything yet but perhaps you could! I liked your story about this one though, seems a bit unfinished though. Not that these prompts should be polished but I felt like there should be a more defininte ending to this one. But I still liked the emotions you put into this prompt, keep up the good work! ttyl Cool
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one made me smile all the way through. I could just see this woman with her tightly pulled back hair. Possibly his agent or gallery owner and he the avant garde artist...never the two seeing eye to eye. Wonderful. I'm so glad you're back and posting.

shadowlight Smile

Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd removed himself from the room because he knew that he upset the balance that existed therein. When he had asked the architect to design it he had not thought about what effect his presence would have upon the harmony of the design.
It was so perfect that he wept, and he knew that his weeping was ugly and, like him, did not fit with the furniture and the tasteful pictures. So he excised himself.
He only ever watched the room now: observed its sealed-unit habitat through the intrusive presence of the hidden cameras. He was like a spy in the Forbidden City and he felt ashamed every time he let his temptaion rule him. The clean lines and elegant use of space needed no messy thing like him there.
No, he watched, but did not enter. He tried not to breathe to much. Dust settled over him as he remained still.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: