- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 15 Rider

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 15 Rider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: 500 X 15 Rider Reply with quote

Ok, I had a bit of trouble uploading this, but hopefully it will post now. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

shadowlight

Artist: Alan Rabinowitz
Alan Rabinowitz Illustration: The Book Publishing Illustrators Portfolio.
Detail of the Science Fiction - Fantasy Illustration, based on Roger Zelazny’s Books: "The Amber Chronicles"
Cover for Marion Zimmer Bradley "Ages of Chaos" German Edition Hard Cover
Illustration © 1999 Alan Rabinowitz
http://www.fantasy-illustration.com/illustrators_portfolios/publishing_illustrators.html

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow Me, Kemosabe

by Harry Buschman

Out of the wormhole of this old man’s memory rides the faithful Indian scout “Toto.” Or was it “Tonto.” Sometimes this old man’s memory has a few blind spots. Besides, living in the bi-lingual nation of my birth I have learned “Tonto” means “fool in Spanish,” and it’s very unlikely an Indian guide would respond to that name when Kemosabe called to him. But then my failing memory reminds me that maybe “Toto” might have been Alice’s white rabbit, or Dorothy’s dog. You can see how undependable old folks can be ... it’s one of the reasons they can’t be trusted to sit on a jury.

Nevertheless, this mounted figure must have been the trusted Indian scout who rode with the Lone Ranger, whom he called “Kemosabe,” which means “trusty scout” in Apache, although why he didn’t call him “Lone Ranger” is beyond me. “Scout,” if you recall, was the name of Tonto’s horse. I always suspected Tonto did not have both oars in the water.

You all remember the Lone Ranger I’m sure. He rode the most highly decorated horse in the west; the two of them, horse and rider in fact, looked as though they both stepped out of Van Cleef and Arpel’s – I mean ... silver bullets yet – REALLY!!

"Who was that masked man?"

"Why, that was the Lone Ranger!"

"I didn't even get a chance to thank him."

He would leave a silver bullet behind as a token. It would serve to remind the downtrodden sourdoughs of some dying Arizona settlement that the masked man was, like some benevolent spirit, watching over them. Every week, regardless of the weather and the national condition, this rhinestone cowboy would triumph over the men in the black hats.

Times have changed. We live in a world today where some cowboys, prefer cowboys to cowgirls. They can be found holding hands as the sun sets low over some distant mesa ... and it leads me to wonder if the Lone Ranger and Tonto, (or Toto) under the vast, star studded nights by the campfire might have been tempted to ... er ... saddle up together, as we say.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good one, Kemosabe.

Last edited by Linda on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: story Reply with quote

"Who are you?" Anna asked in astonishment. This guy with black hair and dark skin, on a horse no less had just appeared through the portal.
"I am known as Gabriel the knight of Eternal of Light." the man replied in a deep voice. "And we need your help."
"Me?" Anna asked frowning. "But what could I possibly do?"
"You are more important than you think my dear." Gabriel replied with a smile. "You are the daughter of our king, Dametus."
"Oh, I suppose you want me to come home then?" Anna asked with a sigh. "But I like it here." she made a wide gesture over the vast desert the wind swept her long brown hair in her face.
"Your people need you." Gabriel said his eyes narrowing. "If you do not help we will all die."
"Okay tell me what I have to do." Anna said quietly as she glanced at the portal. 'Besides I have wanted to go on an adventure.' she thought as she took Gabriel's hand and they stepped the portal and vanished.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dametus strikes me as a very gullible young lady. Didn’t the king ever tell her to beware of smiling young men on horseback? Don’t leave us here in suspense, Heidi ... then what happened?
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: story Reply with quote

I promise I will update it sometime next week until you'l just have to use your imagination! Cool
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Thief (WC 344) Reply with quote

Hmm....I'm having a hard time getting things on paper right now. Maybe because my writing time is so fragmented. Sigh...

Anyway, here's this one.

shadowlight

WV 500 X 15 4-26-06

Thief
© Marlicia Fernandez (WC 344) 5-19-06

Arlis urged his horse forward. The voices in his head had drawn him to this place, now they pushed him onward. The eyes he felt watching since he’d arrived, drew close in the canyons. Probing. They seemed to know that where a man and beast entered, more than a man and beast now took their leave.

The amulet weighed heavy in the pouch at his belt, heavier than such a small object had any right to be, but not as heavy the guilt in his heart. Arlis hoped the bauble was worth the trouble it had taken to obtain it.

Up ahead the canyon trail narrowed. The ancient pillars protecting the only way in or out sent prickles of apprehension running down his spine. Should these totems; these motionless sentries of rock and clay concern him?

He gripped his sword and lifted it high. Whatever he might find beyond he would face. What concerned him lay not on the path ahead, but the one he’d just traveled. Arlis knew he must continue forward if he were to succeed, but thievery, once discovered, would not be looked upon kindly by the Mountain King, no matter the motive. Nor would the intention to return the object matter to the one who viewed it as priceless.

Behind him, the sleeping giant rumbled and shuddered awake. Rocks pelted Arlis from surrounding walls with uncanny accuracy. Rising dirt clogged his throat. He coughed and applied pressure to his horse’s sides, demanding more speed. The ground bucked beneath his mount. The animal galloped over crevasses and cracks that appeared out of nowhere. Arlis tightened his hold on the reigns and trusted the horse lead the way out.

A pain filled moan shook the pillars from their bases as Arlis rode through, almost unseating him. The voice of the Mountain King joined the others in his head. Those of the others Arlis had stolen from on this insane quest. Objects he needed to free his family, but no one told him that in freeing them he would imprison others, including himself.

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another very good start, Marlicia. Looks like Arlis might make it through the pass with his prize, but I'm sure there will be hell to pay when they find it missing. I didn't know his family was in prison -- will chapter two tell us more?
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on this for me, Harry. I really appreciate it. I'm not really sure what will happen next. I had originally thought of writing it slightly differently for Renaunt's story, but Arlis demanded to be heard. I hope there will be more of this. I want to know what happens next too. Wink

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.

Marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your stories. I thought I had. Embarassed

Harry,

Interesting take on the prompt. I enjoyed the story very much...but I don't think the Lone Ranger and Tonto... (or Toto...LOL) well, hmm...

Well done.

Heidi,

This is a very intriguing snippet that could easily be spun into something more substantial I know I would be interested in seeing where this leads.

marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: