- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - writing a humourous story

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

writing a humourous story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Art and Craft of Writing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fahima
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: writing a humourous story Reply with quote

Can someone please give me some ideas on writing a humourous story? I have read wonderful stories which keep you chuckling till the end. But when I actually wanted to experiment on one, I didn't have a clue as to how to go about it. Besides there's this contest that I'm planning to enter which demands a well-written humourous story. Can somebody help me?
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the stand-up comics - the good ones, that is. Pryor, Dangerfield, Woody Allen. Humor is best when it's self-deprecating - when the joke's on you. You can really get people laughing when they're laughing at you.

Deep in their heart of hearts they see themselves caught in your situation and part of their laughter is the relief they feel that it wasn't them.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fahima, try searching Ask Jeeves, www.ask.com. Type in Writing Comedy, also, Writing Humor. Browse through what comes up.

Writing comedy, as with doing stand-up comedy, has to do with delivery as well as content. You can write burlesque and slapstick as well as satire and other styles. What may tickle you, may fall flat with others.

I've heard it said that humor and comedy are more difficult than tragedy.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Well... Reply with quote

Thats one way but i am not sure if it will work with every option.
Comic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the point. There is no foumula that works all the time with everybody!
sheez
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s only one way to make fun of something without offending anyone else, and that’s if you’re making fun of yourself. Your readers will welcome the invitation to laugh with you. This applies to poking fun at your accoutrements as well – parents, spouses, siblings, children, dogs, hamsters and fish. Never make fun of the cat. I wrote a good short essay about life with humor and I have explained many of my life events in this essay. Generalizations can be funny, but specificity is better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Art and Craft of Writing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: