- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Beauty to a Poem

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beauty to a Poem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Words from the wise
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MLanning
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Beauty to a Poem Reply with quote

For God would never have created a man,let alone an angel,in the foreknowledge of his future evil state,if he had not known at the same time how he would put such creatures to good use,and thus enrich the course of the world history by the kind of antithesis which gives beauty to a poem.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to predict what God might NOT have done.
MLanning
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever heard of St. Augustine's The City Of God ?
Look it up! Its good!
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve read that he left behind more than 5,000,000 words of text. Wouldn’t you think that’s overdoing it a little? What did others get out of his life? Did he have time for the welfare of others while he wrote?

One of the criticisms of St. Augustine is this,

“The Christian who believes in his God and longs to be united with him deems all other concerns secondary, however important. The abuse this zeal fosters is selfish concentration on personal salvation at the expense of a caring involvement in human affairs, but to Augustine such concentration is always self-defeating.”

Many poets are guilty of the same over-indulgence in themselves.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Beauty in Poetry Reply with quote

Hey there everyone! Harry I just noticed your new signature it's a good one. Anyway I think this is starting to become a rather interesting discussion (when are things not turned into one giant dicussion around here? LOL!), I think that some poets are indeed like Harry said. But some are too focused on life's bad side. Granted Emily Dickison had her share of mental problems but she wrote some great poetry. I think that for poets focusing too much on either extreme can be a bad thing if that's the way they think too. Hope that made sense. t.t.y.l. Cool
MLanning
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But i think some of the best poems come from the heart and of how people act and feel. There is always some meaning behind a poem you just have to read it good and understand it to know the meaning.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Poetry Reply with quote

Marsha, I agree with you. What I meant by that was if someone writes about death (whether the writing is good or not) & they want to die that can be dangerous for them and their loved ones. . .just an example. But actually writing in extremes can make good poetry and even better stories. Cool
MLanning
Poster Want-2-B

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because they write about death doesnt mean they want to die. It could mean anything to anyone. they write their feelings. Doesnt mean they want to die.they could have had something go wrong in their life and they are shareing their feels about whats happened and how they felt and maybe someone out there might just see that and think hell that really could happen to other people not just me. And something as small as words, feels, thoughts was wrote down on paper and could have saved , changed someones life.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: True... Reply with quote

Yes that's true but I know from personal experience that if you write someone a letter and you well anyway I get what you are saying I just wanted to say that to anyone who might get the wrong idea....I do that sometimes...what i'm trying to say is I've had a rough day today. Not only did I not get much sleep last night...I almost ended up not going to school because of really really stupid/ scary circumstances...a little better now but still it sucks to have a black anniversary date...well t.t.y.l. Cool
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you write to explain something to yourself as much as to someone else. It's like when you talk to someone about something - half the time you know what the answer is before you ask the question, but you are unravelling the ball of wool and they are sdat there with their hands outstretched helping you.
The bit about burying your head in your work -- if you don't look at the world occassionally then all you're going to be writing about is your own work and you stand the chance of becoming overly self-referential and definitely self-indulgent. The external referent must always be the world. No touchstones equals no relevance for anyone but you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Words from the wise All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: