- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - From F. Scott Fitzgerald

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From F. Scott Fitzgerald

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Words from the wise
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: From F. Scott Fitzgerald Reply with quote

Mostly, we writers repeat ourselves -- that’s the truth. We have two or three great and moving experiences in our lives -- experiences so great and so moving that it doesn’t seem at the time that anyone else has been so caught up and pounded and dazzled and astonished and beaten and broken and rescued and illuminated and rewarded and humbled in just that way ever before.

The we learn our trade, well or less well, and we tell our two or three stories -- each time in a new disguise -- maybe ten times, maybe a hundred, as long as people will listen.

F. Scott Fitzgerald
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Hemingway and Fitzgerald Reply with quote

Thank you Harry. Two great writers they were, and they were only human.
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: An author Reply with quote

An author ought to write for the youth of his own generation, the critics of the next, and the schoolmaster of ever afterwards.

F. Scott Fitzgerald
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Fitzgerald and Writing Reply with quote

See below.

Last edited by DaveR on Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Fitzgerald and Writing Reply with quote

The more I read the above “From F. Scott Fitzgerald” posted by Harry, the more I think I understand the art and business of writing. Just had a major breakthrough: No matter how much we have experienced, no matter how much is inside that we want to let out, few will read what we write, unless we learn our trade well and write well. It’s as simple as that. It seems the examples of Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and numerous great writers illustrate that there are a million ways to write well, but there is one common characteristic all good writers have: they all learn and practice the trade. There are no shortcuts . . . unless somebody knows of one.
Theresa Allen
Master Poster Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:52 am Post subject: From F. Scott Fitzgerald

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mostly, we writers repeat ourselves -- that’s the truth. We have two or three great and moving experiences in our lives -- experiences so great and so moving that it doesn’t seem at the time that anyone else has been so caught up and pounded and dazzled and astonished and beaten and broken and rescued and illuminated and rewarded and humbled in just that way ever before.

The we learn our trade, well or less well, and we tell our two or three stories -- each time in a new disguise -- maybe ten times, maybe a hundred, as long as people will listen. "

F. Scott Fitzgerald

I get "it," Harry.
But, do you think that people are "trapped" into the one thing that initially got them going? What I mean is this, is it possible for Jincy Willett to become Flannery O'Conner? I think so, but I may be alone on this one.

Theresa
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Trapped?” No, not really. But certainly tattooed. We’re all victims of our genes and our environment, and what makes Jincy, Jincy, makes Flannery Flannery. Why should one want to be like the other even if she could? We should wear our tattoos proudly, I think. They give us our voice and our POV, and when you try to become something you aren’t, you begin to write like Mary Higgins Clark.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It was my first inkling that he was a writer. And while I like writers - because if you ask a writer anything, you usually get an answer - still it belittled him in my eyes. Writers aren't people exactly. Or, if they're any good, they're a whole lot of people trying so hard to be one person. It's like actors, who try so pathetically not to look in mirrors. Who lean backward trying - only to see their faces in the reflecting chandeliers.

From "The Last Tycoon"
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: From F. Scott Fitzgerald Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
Mostly, we writers repeat ourselves -- that’s the truth. We have two or three great and moving experiences in our lives -- experiences so great and so moving that it doesn’t seem at the time that anyone else has been so caught up and pounded and dazzled and astonished and beaten and broken and rescued and illuminated and rewarded and humbled in just that way ever before.

The we learn our trade, well or less well, and we tell our two or three stories -- each time in a new disguise -- maybe ten times, maybe a hundred, as long as people will listen.

F. Scott Fitzgerald

I think it was you, Harry, that said in one of the other forums that perfection is a moving target. I think that the events of our lives are similar, in that they don't stay static -- as we move through life they shift position too. The other thing is I often dwell on the minutae of life as much as the great events for the inspiration for my stories. having done a lot of factory work tediousness and boredom are also a great wellspring for creativity. The idea of these stories in a new disuise each time suggests a certain superficiality to the changes made to them whereas if you have a watershed moment that rewires your head, could not the fundamental essence of the experience you had be retrofitted with something entirely novel?
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pretty much explored the subject psgri2003, (what a strange name, what on earth were you parents thinking of?) so I really can’t recommit myself to the subject.

I know what Hemingway said about the moving target and perfection, but I also know he loved moving targets. Shooting and bringing them down was a good part of his life. Doing the best you can do as as good a goal as any. No writer of value really believes he or she can attain perfection because the ultimate goal of a work of fiction is an imitation of the real thing, and the real thing is never perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Words from the wise All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: