- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - A Possible Project?

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Possible Project?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Paragraph Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: A Possible Project? Reply with quote

I offer one of my own paragraphs as a possible project.

Morning disseminated its truth in a slow application of layers, like oils being painted onto canvas. He breathed in the aromas of his new home -- made new by the woman who had moved in with him just recently. Ewan smiled, he was getting something different from everything he looked at. New surfaces had been given to each and every object.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: my addition Reply with quote

He was glad to be leaving the past behind, it had been an ugly one. Well not worse than anyone else's really. A lost love, angry arguments with his parents but they had eventually forgiven him for his transgressions. Now he had a new woman with him, and she was great, her name was Eve, she had wild red hair, beautiful green eyes, and milky white skin. They had met a few months ago at a coffee shop down the street, while talking over a cup of coffee about one of his painting that was on display. It was an unremarkable painting really, one that sat in corner of his new place, but she had been drawn to it for some reason. He still wasn't sure why.
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

Location: Trapped in my own imagination... and wherever it may take me

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She had said that she was an artist too and was in the area for a showing. When he had tried to press her about what medium she used or where she was showing, the subject always somehow got sidetracked to something about his artwork or about him in some other way. He had to admit that, even now, after living with her for a week, he knew no more about her than he had gathered during that first cup of coffee. Although he had to admit to some curiosity, it was usually short-lived. She was such a good listener and so sympathetic. It almost didn't matter that he knew next to nothing about her, since she did such a good job at making him feel important and loved.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was startled at times when she revealed something from his past ... something he knew he hadn't told her about. Names and places. Intimate things she had no way of knowing. When he questioned her she would just shrug her shoulders and say, "I don't know ... you must have told me. How else would I know?"
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he would have left it at that, but it happened more than once. Too often to be forgetfulnes or coincidence, it almost frightened him. Ewan let it slide because she was something special and she made him feel special too. Everything looked brighter, worked better, came easier since she'd come into his life. And his paintings...he almost didn't recognize them. But he knew he'd painted them. It had to be Eve. She was his inspiration, his muse. What had he done before her?
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He asked himself that question again, "What had he done before her?" It occurred to him that he didn't really remember any more. As these blissful days passed one by one, each better than the one before, his past drifted away and if it hadn't been for her he would have never known who or what he was before. The furniture in his apartment ... when did get that sofa, that chest of drawers? Eve remembered. He didn't, and little by little he began to realize something was wrong.
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first he thought that maybe he was developing some sort of amnesia. His fruitful imagination liked this explanation; it was dramatic, movie-like. In this scenario, Eve could easily fit in as his aide and the one person who could keep him from losing himself.
Except... the doctors said that there was no sign of trauma or anything that could have caused amnesia. They asked him what sort of things he was forgetting and if anyone besides Eve had noticed this in him.
He was embarrassed that he couldn't answer them. That there was now no-one in his life besides Eve. That he could only vaguely remember a time when he had been close to anyone besides Eve.
As he left the doctor's office, he determined that he would look for an address book, a diary, SOMETHING to refresh his memory. If that didn't work, he could always ask Eve.
She could point in the right direction.
She always could.

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he could find his way home.

He knew he had a car. At least he thought he did, but he'd been taking the bus for the last several days. Eve said he'd put the car in the shop. Then she'd waved her hands in a vague sort of way and told him he'd said it was 'some sort of engine trouble'. Funny he couldn't remember.

Standing at the bus stop, he couldn't remember the way home either. His lapses were getting worse. If he coudl find his cell phone he'd call Eve. She'd come and get him. She'd chastise him for going out without her when his memory was so sporadic but she wouldn't scold. When did he become so dependent? He must have been able to get along in life before Eve, but how?

Ewan couldn't remember.

But something did niggle at the back of his mind. Something important. He'd left it hidden in the trunk of his car. But he couldn't for the life of him remember what it was or why it was so important. Maybe if he could find it his memory would return...

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could see the bus coming. It bore the legend "Eastwich" in bold letters. Is that where he was going? He was suddenly panic-stricken. He didn't know where he lived! He never should have left the house without Eve. When the bus pulled up he stood at the open door baffled and frightened until the driver shouted, "Bus to Eastwich, fella. Comin' with us?" Ewan hesitated. The frustrated driver swore and closed the doors again. Ewan watched it go wondering what to do next. He patted his pockets ... he must have something with him with an address ... his wallet ... yes of course. Why hadn't he thought of that before.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: story Reply with quote

His wallet had his ID, directions well not exactly but his business card, of course his business card! Why hadn't he thought of that?! He used to hand those out to everyone, before he met Eve. It had his name and phone number his address everything he needed to remember what he couldn't! Or rather what he needed to desperately..."Hey Buddy, you okay?" a guy asked. He was dressed in jeans and a white shirt.
"Yeah I'm fine,"
"Okay you just seemed flustered is all."
"Oh, well thanks for your concern. I'm fine now." Ewan said with a smile. He waved to the man, who he noticed was about his age, white, although his skin showed signs of being out in the sun, and as he walked off towards his place, Ewan saw the man wore a beaten black fedora hat. 'Interesting guy, wonder if I'll ever see him again.' Ewan mused.
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewan looked at the business card in his hand, feeling the contrast of the embossed letters against the smooth cream surface.

All the sudden he wasn't so eager to get home. He had an address, a workplace, two phone numbers, and his name on this card. In his hand he held the key to regaining his memory... he just knew it!

If he went home, he could lose the card. This hope, this adventure of rediscovering himself, could be lost in the paradise that was life with Eve. Inexplicably, he could not bear the thought of returning to his house, or remaining stuck in paradise.

"Do you have any friends?" The doctor's question reverberated in his head.

No, he didn't have any friends besides Eve. But he had his card. And he knew at least one person in this world he somehow managed to leave behind.

He ran after the man in the black fedora.

"Mister, could you help me please?"

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man turned, surprise turning to a slow smile. "How can I help?"

Ewan took a moment to regain his breath. "I was wondering if you could tell me how to get to 157 S. Michigan Avenue."

"No Michigan Avenue here," the man said. "Used to be a Michigan Avenue, but not anymore."

Cold swept through Ewan from the inside out despite the summer heat. "There has to be some mistake. It's right here. On my business card."

Ewan held out the card, and stoppped. He stared at the man. Well, not the man, but at the man's battered black fedora. Tucked into the band was a business card.

The man pulled the card out. "See, I got Michigan Avenue on mine too. But never can find it."

Ewan's heart sank. "What's your name?"

The man shrugged, his smile replaced by a blank stare. "I don't remember."

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two men stood shifting their feet, each of them trying to look away and yet drawn to the fact that they were connected in some way.

Ewan broke the ice ... "You don't happen to know a woman named Eve, do you? red haired girl ... beautiful green eyes?"

"Funny question. A girl named Eve you say."

"With red hair."

"Wears it sort of tousled, does she?"

"Yes. That's right."

"And ... what was it you said ... green eyes?"

"Precisely," Ewan said.

"What a coincidence. Yes I do ... how would you know a thing like that?"
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Eve Reply with quote

"Well I used to know Eve." the man said with a sigh. "And then well strange things started happening."
"You mean, like what's happening to me?" Ewan asked.
"No, I don't." the man replied confused, then he looked at Ewan, his sloppy dress, his tired face, his expression, one of pleading yet the look of someone who was trying to hold it all together. Then he smiled. His blue eyes lit up. "Actually yes on second thought I do."
"I figured you might."
"See, I thought maybe I was just getting old, or forgetful." the man replied. "Before Eve, I had a home, a nice enough life, sure I had my problems as I'm sure you did."
"Yes, but my parents and I we're on good terms." Ewan said, wondering what made him reveal something so private to a complete stranger whose name he didn't even know. He shook his head, remembering the last time he went home, after leaving New York. What a disaster. The con artist, the one who almost got away with all his money, the one who had been so good...and he fell for it all. The girl who he thought was the one turned out to involved in the whole thing...suddenly he was brought back by the man with the leathery skin, blue eyes, and black fedora. "But then I realized it wasn't me, it was Eve."
"How did you know that?"
"Well, you seemed to be having trouble remembering where you live, who you are right?"
"Yeah,"
"Unless people have some sort of accident, some sort of trauma in their past, deep psychological trauma, that can cause amnesia, at least from what I've seen on TV and read in books." the man paused, smiling at Ewan his blue eyes locked on Ewan's green ones. Ewan ran a hand nervously through his black hair. " Then it's unlikely that people can just start to lose their minds. Now Eve has been in both of our lives and we both have the same problem, remembering who we are. There hasn't been a traumatic incident in my life, at least not one like that, and I haven't been in any bad accidents that gave me bad bump on the head, how about you?"
"No, I haven't been in any such accident, not recently or ever. " Ewan breathed.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: continuation? Reply with quote

Neither of them said anything for a moment. Ewan was starting to wonder, not only who he was but who was Eve? What was it about her that made him and this complete stranger forget everything? He remembered reading about something called a siren. But that couldn't be Eve, could it? Sirens seduced men, but then they killed them. They also sang, Eve didn't sing.
But if she wasn't a siren, then what was she? A witch, some sort of government spy? Maybe he was just lovestruck, no, no that was wrong too. People in love didn't forget who they were, or where they worked or where they lived. "What is going on here?" he mused
"I'd like to know the answer to that too." the other man replied with a wry smile.
"You don't happen to know where she is do you?"
"No, I thought you would you're dating her aren't you?"
"Well she's not at my house, she said she was going out somewhere."
"Well let's find out where."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Paragraph Project All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: