- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 10 Imagination

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 10 Imagination

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: 500 X 10 Imagination Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing what you all come up with for this one. Thanks to Clive for finding it for us.

If comes from:

http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/free-pictures.html

marlicia Smile

Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: The Dwarves Reply with quote

Hey sorry I haven't posted anything in awhile here but I've been busy! Well here's my take on the photo.

Anna glanced down at the small trees with curiosity. They were orange and one had a very small door in it, 'I wonder what that's for?' she thought to herself with a frown. Suddenly she heard a small noise coming from her feet. When she glanced around she saw a crowd of angry dwarves dressed in blue clothing, red hats, and some of them had white beards. "What do you think you're doing?!" one of them shouted angrily. "You're ruining our crops!"
"Oh, sorry." Anna replied apologetically as she stepped back to reveal a teeny tiny patch of cabbage next to the trees. "I'm Anna, what's your name?"
"Donner, I'm the leader of this prosperous place, this is my wife Delia." the small man replied with a huff. A small woman appeared next to him, one with blue eyes and blonde hair. Anna smiled, she knew a lot of people her height would kill for the dwarf's looks but not her height. "How long have you guys been living here? I wasn't aware that dwarves lived around here."
"About five years." Delia replied with a smile. "We would appreicate it if you would tell your friends not to step on our crops, or our houses. We don't do that to you do we?"
"No, I suppose not." Anna said stifling a laugh. "I'll be sure to tell them. Can I come back and visit sometime?"
"Of course my dear, come back anytime." Delia repiled cheerily.
"Just stay away from our cabbage!" Donner cried.
"I will." Anna said with a laugh as she stood up. She shook her head in disbelief, even if she were to tell her friends they would never believe that she had met a colony of dwarves in the forest.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute, Heidi. The huffy little people are a little touch of Dorothy and the Munchkins. You've kept it serious and straightforward just like it should be.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: The Veiled Country (WC 500) Reply with quote

The Veiled Country
© Marlicia Fernandez 3-19-06 ( WC 500)

El glanced at the well-worn note. Why hadn’t Garrett told her of his intentions? Did he think she’d fault him? He should know better. And now he insisted he’d done the impossible. He’d found the Winged Horse, Guardian of the Veiled Country and of the elusive Mystic Elves. Not only that, he thought they could be persuaded to become allies in the battle he and El fought for their people. That would be a miracle and that’s why she’d come.

They needed a miracle.

She glanced at the map sketched at the bottom of the missive. It stopped short of her destination, in these woods. Scrawled beside the map was her guide’s name. He was supposed to take her the rest of the way. El searched the expanse of trees surrounding them. They seemed familiar. “We’ve been traveling for days, Alain. Are you sure you know where you’re going?”

In front of her, Alain snorted. “Stay with me and you cain’t go wrong.”

Their mount whinnied and sidestepped. El tightened her hold on her guide’s waist and tried not to inhale his scent too deeply. “What’s wrong?”

“Taint nothin’ but a snake – an’ a big one from the looks of it. They’s common enough ‘roun here. Jus be thankful they cain’t fly.” He reached down and patted the horse’s neck, trying to calm the mare. “Easy. The slitherer’s gone.”

The animal stopped its prancing and pawed at the ground. Alain flicked the reins and the horse continued through the trees. “Too bad it got away, woulda made a nice meal on the trip back.”

El shuddered. “Wouldn’t it be better if we stayed to the path?”

Alain cleared his throat and spit to one side. “Nope.” He wiped his mouth with his sleeve. “Whydya hire me if ya don’t trust me?”

“I didn’t say I don’t trust you.” She loosened her grip and watched for more of the wriggling creatures as she and Alain continued their seemingly endless journey. She didn’t want to be caught off guard if their skittish mount decided to throw them. How she wished Fumer had come along. The dragon could have flown over the forest and she wouldn’t have to worry about nasty, poisonous creatures that could kill with one bite. But Fumer remained with Olaf and Talak, out of harm’s way. The Veiled Country was no place for an uninvited dragon.

When they passed the same fallen tree for the fourth time, El drew her dagger from her sheath and pressed it against Alain’s flabby side. “We’re going in circles. Why?” Alain tried to move the weapon but his position in front of her rendered his efforts ineffective. She pressed a little harder. “Answer me.”

“We’ve been waiting.”

“For what?”

“For this.” The woods opened into a clearing and Alain stopped his horse. “This is as far as I go.”

El slid off the horse. She shouldn’t have doubted Garrett. The Veiled Country spread out before her and at its entrance flew the Winged Horse.

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see you back, Heidi.

What a cute story. I bet Anna was surprised to find dwarves in the forest. Hmm... she'd better keep them to herself or she might find herself locked up. Loved the humor told in a very serious manner. Nicely done.

marlicia Very Happy

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Circle

by Harry Buschman

I have always had a secret place. When I was a child and things didn’t go well, when the bee stung or the dog bit I would close my eyes and find myself in a secret place. No one else could go there. Only me.

You could call it a fantasy land or a dream world, but it was very real to me. Trees that reached to the sky and a Pegasus that guarded the entrance door to a magic tree that I alone was allowed to enter. It was easy for me to shut my eyes and go there whenever I wanted. I could leave all hurt behind me. I called it Panglossia and I never knew why that name came to me long before I ever read Candide.

“This is the best of all possible worlds.”

When I grew up, Panglossia seemed to get further and further away from me. Life interfered. There was marriage, children, a job and the deadly business of responsibility, and when I needed it most, Panglossia’s door was closed to me. It was only at night, with everyone asleep and the close darkness about me. Then I could close my eyes and see the distant purple mountains and the magic tree again. I might walk through the tall lush grass, the winged horse might be my guide to the bridge over the moat. I might, once again, find my way to the door of Panglossia - but rarely could I go inside.

...but now I’m old, and like a child, Panglossia’s door is open wide to me. In the blink of an eye it’s beauty and childish pleasures can be mine again. I am sure someday, not too far from today, I will spend forever there.

the end
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlicia

Your "Garrett" sounds like a down-home country boy! How did he ever get mixed up with the super naturals? Anyway, Marlicia, I recognize some of the people and the finding of the Veiled Country opens up an opportunity for you to continue the story. I hope you do, it shows promise.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry wrote:
...but now I’m old, and like a child, Panglossia’s door is open wide to me. In the blink of an eye it’s beauty and childish pleasures can be mine again.

Harry have you seen the movie Finding Neverland (The story of J.M. Barrie's friendship with the family who inspired him to create Peter Pan)? It's a beautiful love story, and an example of how the creative mind functions as a child and adult. You story reminded me of this movie.

Harry wrote:
... I am sure someday, not too far from today, I will spend forever there...the end

I hope that day is farther than you imagine, Harry. While I do not need a father image, I have adopted you as well.

Linda
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments guys, I liked all of your stories too, Marlicia's was interesting I thought they were going to get into a fight then you added the bit at the end, it was nice touch. Harry's story is good too, I think we all have an imaginary place we go in our minds when things get tough. I didn't notice the Finding Neverland similirities until you metioned them Linda but it does remind me of that movie somewhat. Cool
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,
I love your Panglossia. I think everyone has a place like that in his mind. A place of escape and/or rest. I also think creative people keep the ability to enter that place much longer than others, even if only at night, once all the 'deadly responsibilities' are put to rest.

I love the idea of being able to return to Panglossia with greater freedom when old. It reminds me of something a friend of St. Francis is supposed to have said. Paraphrase, of course. LOL Something like: As we age we grow closer and closer to the nursery. Surprised)

I didn't see the parallels to Finding Neverland until Linda mentioned them either, but they are there.

Thank you also for the kind words on my story. I'm glad you remember the characters. You've seen them several times before in other snippets, all except Alain. He's actually the 'down home country boy', LOL Garrett is a bit more formal in his speech patterms. Wink

Heidi,

Thanks for reading and commenting on my story. I appreciate it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I may expand this a bit since I couldn't say all I wanted to say and keep to the word limit. I don't know if fight will be the result, but it's an interesting possibility.

Thanks again, everyone,
marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would take “The Circle” and give it a second drafting. After that I posted it on the British site UKA where it won the “Nib” award. The “Nib” is a plaque in the form of a pen nib and given to outstanding works of the week. I’m writing this not to brag but to goad the rest of the “Voice” to take this thread seriously.

Marlicia has graciously volunteered to host it and it can generate work that can be used successfully elsewhere even without the picture prompt she posts every week.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! That's awesome news. Do you have a link for us to follow so we can see the changes/edits you've made to your story. You're an inspiration to the rest of us! Very Happy

marlicia

DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, you made a typo. Delete "The End." The circle has no end. You've shown us how we can begin again.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlicia

This should get you there ...

http://www.ukauthors.com/article15850.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: