- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 16 - Baby

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 16 - Baby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: 500 X 16 - Baby Reply with quote

Hi all,
Posting this a little early because I'm not sure when I'll be able to get online tomorrow. (I hope to be able to do something with the last one soon.)

I look forward to seeing what you come up with for this one.

I found this at Inmagine (parent site):
Free stock photo

http://www.inmagine.com/
specific:
http://www.inmagine.com/inmsearch.php?firstview=1&word=feet&match=
&exclude=&exppl=&similarmode=&imgtype=&searchRF=1&searchRM=
0&category=all&collection=all&orientation=all&imgperpage=20&sid=&ethc=
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Charlie

Harry Buschman

This is Charlie Ferguson, he was born in Springfield, Ohio two months ago. He is the son of Charles and Marie Ferguson and, since he is their first child, they really don’t know what to make of him.

Charlie has just discovered his fingers and toes. He wonders why he has them, why there are little nails in the ends of them and why they move independently. He can move his toes with his fingers and his fingers with his toes and if he really puts his mind to it he can wiggle all of them together.

Charlie’s not altogether sure he wants to be here in the first place. He thinks back sometimes to the warm dark place he came from and often wishes he was there again. He didn’t have to wear clothes there, nobody shoved food down his mouth or made him take a bath – “It’s been all downhill since then,” he grumbles.

Sorry Charlie, but that’s the way it goes.

About those feet, Charlie. You’re going to put a million miles on those tender little feet before you’re finished. They’re going to get swollen, sore, calloused and covered with wandering varicose veins as you grow older. They’re going to bear your dead weight as long as you live and when you grow old, a seat on the bus will be your idea of Heaven.

But the big thing is the hands. They don’t look like much now, Charlie but in a little while you’ll find use for them – bang on a drum – steal candy – throw a baseball – write a poem – plant a roadside bomb. Use your head when you use your hands, Charlie. They need guidance ... just as your feet do.

One more thing, Charlie. We’ve left this world in a helluva mess for you. We’re spending money we don’t have and there’s going to be a debt to pay just about the time you’re old enough to pay taxes. Hope you’ll understand ...

the end
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: your story Reply with quote

Harry, I liked this story it had an interesting point of view. I agree about the hands being important. Cool
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Jerry Reply with quote

Jerry by David Rothman

I am the 7,435,627,123rd baby to set foot on earth, not literally of course since I haven’t learned to walk. There are a lot of things I haven’t learned. I’m pretty smart though, and I do know what this foot is for. Maybe I’ll just pick myself up and walk soon, because when I see my big brother Howard moving around, I want to do what he’s doing. But no matter how hard I try I can’t get into walking position. Watch out, I’ll be up and around soon

You must think somebody wrote this for me. Wrong. Remember, I’m very smart, a quick learner. My mother, Rebecca is very competitive, and she wants her little Jerry to be ahead of all the kids when he begins kindergarten. Dear Mom left a remote computer keyboard in my crib, a little experiment of hers. She actually set a computer and monitor on my dresser, and typed on the keyboard. “Jerry, see the words on the screen. My . . . name . . . is . . . Jerry.” She didn’t realize it, but I was paying attention.

Here I am, Jerry Frasier, the only infant in the history of the world able to read and write – well type. When mom comes back to feed me, she’s going to be surprised. I hope she still hugs me and sings. I hope Dad will still read stories to me. I love those stories of his.

Uh, oh. Here comes Mom.

Last edited by DaveR on Tue May 02, 2006 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Dave, you’ve done something I wouldn’t have dared to do. Writing this piece in first person. It’s harder to think as an infant than it is to think as an adult dog – isn’t it? Nice piece of imagery, although I’ll never know how little Jerry knew he was the 7,435,627,123rd.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, Jerry is a little ahead of Charlie as far as getting information. Jerry found that huge number on the internet while he was experimenting with Mom's computer.

It's really not much harder thinking as Jerry than telling what Charlie is thinking. I take that back. I wasn't thinking as Jerry. That little guy really does use the computer in his crib. All I did was add my name as author.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We weren't born yesterday, Dave – maybe Jerry was – but we know who wrote it.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Sanctuary (WC 500) Reply with quote

Sanctuary
© Marlicia Fernandez 5-4-06 (WC 500)

The hounds pulled at their leads, dragging their handlers over rocks and root systems and through bushes. “Looks like they’ve got a strong scent,” Martin said.

“They’d better. Last time they led us to a sanctuary, it’d been empty for months.” Taylor tried to gain some measure of control over the straining animals.

They yanked harder.

“Let ‘em go, son.” Martin reached down and released his dogs from their harnesses. “For good or bad, they’ve got a nose-full of something and they’re not gonna be happy until they flush whatever it is out.”

Taylor released his dogs and matching his pace to his partner’s followed the animals at a slow jog. Mournful baying indicated the quarry had been found and cornered. “I hope it’s not some lame deer or lost hiker this time.”

Martin grunted. “There’s only one way to find out.” He skirted trees until the woods gave way to a small cottage nestled in a clearing. “Let’s see what’s out back.” He turned to the hounds “Stay. Guard.”

The animals sat on their haunches, in front of the door.

Out back a small, fenced garden and a well took up most of the cleared space on one side, the other, although cleared, had no apparent use. A door at the back of the cottage stood ajar. Martin ’s hand slid down to his knife. “Let’s see whose inside.”

Taylor slipped his blade from its sheath and entered. Martin followed. A man hung over the back of a chair; another sprawled in the middle of the floor. Neither would wake again. Three cages without lids but filled with blankets and cuddly toys took up most of the remaining space.

“We’re too late.” Taylor began.

A small sound, like a bird’s coo interrupted him. Martin eased his way into the front room, past overturned chairs and tables and into the closet-sized indoor privy. The coos grew louder. Certain Taylor stood behind him; Martin pulled back the curtain. Blankets and pillows filled the metal washbasin. “Well here’s one they missed.”

“Is that what I think it is? Taylor edged closer and looked over Martin’s shoulder.

“That’s right, you’ve never seen a real one before, have you.” Sheathing his blade; Martin picked up the squirming creature, blankets and all. “Yeah. It’s a baby.” He strode to the small window above the tub.

It was open.

A scrap of cloth fluttered from a nail on the sill and a woman’s shoes lay a few paces apart in the mud. “Looks like Mama played decoy to lead reproductive control away from her child, but she won’t fool them for long. They’ll be back.” He turned to the tub and placed the infant deep inside. “Take one handle, I’ll take the other. We want to be gone when they return.”

Taylor lifted his side of the makeshift cradle. “What about the mother?”

Martin led the way back into the larger room and opened the front door. “Forget the mother. It’s too late for her now.”

[end]

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I really enjoyed your take on the prompt. It started out so humorously...and then it became bittersweet and a bit sad. I wish we weren't leaving Charlie and others so many problems to fix, but I hope we are also leaving good things for him to enjoy. And I hope he uses his hands, feet and brain for good. We can use more people who do that.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave,

It's good to see you back in the 500 word project. I love the first person POV of this. This kid is going to be someone to be reckoned with. I think as a mom, I might be a little intimidated. Wink Btu then you go and remind us that he is still a baby a heart who likes to hear his mommy sing and his daddy read stories and who wants to do what his big brother does. Very nicely done.

shadowlight

DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlicia, I want to know more about this future world where Martin and Taylor hardly ever see a baby and Reproductive Control hunts babies. A kind of Brave New World. I'm hooked.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowlight you’ve seen something in this picture, something dark and deadly. I never dreamed of pulling this story out of a picture of a baby, but you did – congratulations.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlicia,

This is your best. Excellent detail...I had a little problem seeng the man hung over the back of the chair, but I understood he was dead, and the description was enough...this is very good!

Linda
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don’t know what is better: all the stories or the talk above between Harry and Dave. The talk made me laugh Very Happy

Baby

My dream came true at last: I was a little baby again. I left behind my snappy wife and my always unsatisfied boss…
Life could be beautiful. They fed me, and gave me a dry diaper, and left me alone for a while.
I had a new chance to begin my life anew. I didn’t intend to make the same mistakes!
I should have planned my new, better life, but my new figure was too interesting to focus on anything else.
Actually, I was able to think only of another bottle with milk, and of the little parts of my new body. I couldn’t think which schools I would finish, which boys from the neighborhood I would avoid, and which girl I would get married to…
But I could think only of my little legs and hands. I touched them with great pleasure, and it was nicer and nicer…
I was terrified: I was more and more childish. Everything I could talk was “uh, hrr…” And everything I was able to think was “Oh!”
I felt sweat on my forehead…

“John, why do you touch all parts of your body? Wake up at last!” I heard my wife’s scream…
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice dream Jolanta. It would be great to go back and have another go at it.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolanta,

What a charming little tale. I really enjoyed it. I'm sure many people would like to be able to begin life over again so they could make other choices. And then there are those who would do nothing different even if they had the opportunity.

This made me smile as well as think. Well done.

marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed this story. It's actually a springboard for something else I have begun working on so having such positive responses lets me know I am heading in the right direction.

Thank you again.

marlicia

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry and Dave,

I'm sorry I didn't respond to your comments on my story earlier. I thought I had.

Dave,

I'm glad you're hooked. I hope to do more with this in the future. The story actually came about when I was trying to flesh out an idea for a new story (I'm not sure if it will be a short story or a novel at this point.) so capturing your interest is very good news for me. Thank you for making my day. Smile

Harry,

Thank you for your kind words. I wasn't sure what I wanted to write and then, when I was in church of all places, the idea came to me.

I really appreciate you both taking a look.

marlicia

Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Marlicia and Harry, for your nice words. Well, dreams are always a nice subject to write.
I didn’t intend to write on any baby because some time ago I wrote a very short story “Baby”.
But after reading your very nice and good stories, I decided to write something.
And having read the funny talks in the Forum, I had to write something light. But if this piece made you think for a while, Marlicia, I am very glad of that.

Jolanta
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolanta, yours is yet another way of looking at the same picture. Well done. How many times has each of us wanted to start over? The same little and great problems would confront us!
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dave for your support.

It is a very interesting experience to write on one topic in several ways, I think.

Jolanta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: