- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 21 - Caverns

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 21 - Caverns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: 500 X 21 - Caverns Reply with quote

Here you go. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with for this one.

shadowlight

Artist: Alan Rabinowitz
Alan Rabinowitz Illustration
The Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Cover Illustrators Portfolios.
Detail of the Science Fiction - Fantasy Illustration Caverns of IO
Illustration © 1997 Alan Rabinowitz
http://www.fantasy-illustration.com/illustrators_portfolios/book_illustrators.html

Last edited by shadowlight on Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Caverns-part 2 of The Wizard's Bridge Reply with quote

For those of you looking for more of what i wrote in the Wizard prompt here you go! Wink

Anna and Darrin had been in this world for awhile. Not long after coming through the portal they met an old wizard, "Why are we here?" Darrin asked him.
"You have a task before you." the wizard answered with a smile. "You must defeat the ghoulish enemies that haunt this land."
"Where are we exactly?" Anna asked glancing around at the glaciers and iciles hanging from the ceiilng.
"Ah, you are now in Heliding." the wizard said with a knowing glance. He turned and began to walk away. 'Wait!" Darrin called. "How are we supposed to defeat these things?"
"You'll know when the time comes." the wizard said with a wink as he disappeared behind one of the giant glaciers.

Now that Anna and Darrin were grown they knew how they could defeat their enemies. They met many people in Heliding that helped with their task, from wizards, to elves, even dwarves they trained hard to learn how they would defeat the oncoming attack of the ghouls. Now with a magical scepter and a strong sword Anna and Darrin strode out towards the edge of Heliding to greet the oncoming attack. "Well I hope this works.' Darrin said with a sigh as he raised his sword.
"Don't worry I'm sure you'll do fine." Anna replied reassuringly. Suddenly a whoosh of wind passed by her face. Anna frowned suddenly she shouted, "Darrin look out!" a great white ghoul was coming for her friend his mouth open to swallow his spirit. Darrin turned just in time and sliced through the ghoul who quickly regathered itself and headed towards Anna. She quickly aimed her secpter at the creature sending a bright yellow light through it. The ghoul screamed and disappeared. Anna smiled, and Darrin sighed with relief, they were finally fufilling their destiny.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a good thing going with these two, Heidi. They work well together and I feel much better knowing what happened to them after they disappeared through the window. Hang on to them – I'm sure they'll work out fine whatever Marlicia comes up with next week.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sixth Day

Harry Buschman

It was the sixth day and the Old Man was just about done. He had already separated the dark from the light, and gone through the tiresome business of putting fish in the sea and animals on the land. He might have been a little weary and maybe He should have taken a few days off before getting on with it.

But no! Now that Adam was ready, He couldn’t wait to stand him on his feet and point out all the nice things about Eden – how green and lush it was and how everything grew like weeds and how he’d never go hungry. “Drop a seed in the ground, and tomorrow you’ll have asparagus,” He said. Of course He didn’t say asparagus, that was supposed to be Adam’s job – naming all the beasts of the countryside, the fish of the sea and the plants and the insects and so on.

He was about to call it a day when Adam piped up ...

“You’re not leaving me here alone are you?”

“What more do you want? Everything you’ll ever need is right here for the taking.”

“I’ll be lonesome,” Adam shuffled his feet and blushed.

“Get yourself a dog.”

“I was thinking maybe of someone like me – only a little different – maybe prettier. Shapelier ... if you know what I mean.”

“You don’t know how lucky you are. You have this place all to yourself – there’s going to be trouble if I do what you want me to do.”

But Adam insisted, he pointed out that man was not meant to live alone, that he would be fruitful and multiply like crazy, expand his horizons, venture forth from this garden and populate. “After all,” he said, “what’s the purpose of all this otherwise? I can’t eat all the asparagus.”

Against his better judgment. God created woman, and the moment He saw the two of them together, He regretted it. Almost before He lay down to enjoy the peace and quiet of the seventh day Adam and his Eve had armed themselves with deadly weapons and were headed out east of Eden.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Searching for Talak (WC 500) Reply with quote

Searching for Talak
© Marlicia Fernandez (WC 500) 6-05-06

“You’re sure this is where Talak was last seen?”

Garrett eased around a protruding formation, extended his hand and grasped El’s arm. “I’m sure.”

El held tight as he helped her around the obstacle. Garrett said no more, but she felt his growing concern. The bond between he and Talak could not be broken, nor destroyed. The fact that Garrett could not sense his identical did not bode well for his brother.

“I’ve never seen such a cavern.” She lifted her staff, shedding faint light on the surrounding walls. “Not even when working with Olam in his mines.”

“Is that supposed to make me feel better?”

“No, I suppose not…”

Pale blue radiance suffused the cavern. El let her light fade away. “What is this place?” Her feet slid on a tunnel floor gone from rough to ice-slick. She gripped Garrett’s arm and tightened her hold on her staff. “This feels more like a room than a cave.”

The ground and walls shook but no cracks formed, nothing dropped from the ceiling or walls. A sense of foreboding filled her. Had Talak stumbled into this?

Who dares enter the Forgotten Kingdom?

El looked at Garrett. “Did you hear that?”

“I did.” Garrett drew his sword. “Stay close.”

“Whom do you seek?”

El turned toward the voice now both inside and outside her mind. She stumbled back from the blue figure rising from beneath the floor. Garrett’s sharp intake of breath loosened her tongue. “We seek Talak Captain of the Elfin guard. Have you seen him?”

“We have seen what we have seen,” the newcomer said. “We will tell you nothing, save this. Those who travel through the Forgotten Realm seldom return. Turn you back while you yet may.” He fell silent. “Or have you the courage to continue without proof Talak traveled this path?”

“I have no proof except what I feel.” Garrett stepped in front of El, holding his sword ready. “If you want to turn back,” he told her, “I will take you, but I have to go on.”

Although touched by the offer, frustration and hurt welled up inside her. When would Garrett realize she could take care of herself? She stepped away from him. “Talak may be your identical, but you forget we also share a bond. I’m going with you.”

An expression of acceptance replaced shock, followed by amusement. “I had to ask.” Garrett held out his hand. “Peace?”

El took it. “Peace, but where do we start?”

Start at the beginning.

Darkness fell upon the cavern, with the exception of one side passage. At the entrance was an Elfin cloak. Garrett pulled El toward it. He turned it over in his hands. “It bears Talak’s rank and our crest, but thankfully no blood.”

“Let me see,” El whispered. She ran her hands over it, staggering against the onslaught of images and feelings she received. Garret’s pale face told her no explanations were needed.

He steadied her. “Can you travel?”

El nodded. “We must hurry.”

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heidi,

Very nice take on the prompt. I agree with Harry. These two work well together and I'd be interested in seeing how they handle whatever else gets thrown at them.

Harry,

As always, you write a wonderful tale. This is an amusing take on the creation story, but you sure don't paint women in a very favorable light. LOL I like the way this shows God as a suffering parent. Nicely done, sir. I enjoyed this.

marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Talak in trouble again? Why am I sure somehow that El and Garrett will find him in time? It's because you never let me down, Marlicia – that's why. Okay, I'm up for this one – how are you going to work your way out of it? Took me a while to warm up to your fantasy, but now you've got me hooked.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Every time I think things are slowing down, I have to think again. Confused Rolling Eyes

Anyway, thanks for taking a look at this and for your kind words. You have given me a wonderful compliment. I know you don't usually read fantasy, so I'm happy I've hooked you. Yes, it looks like Talak is in trouble again. I'll have to see what happens next so I can let you know.

Thanks for your encouragement. Smile

Marlicia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: