- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 24 Cemetary

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 24 Cemetary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: 500 X 24 Cemetary Reply with quote

Well, I'm heading out on vacation and I'm not sure I'll have internet access while I'm away. Here's the prompt. I can't wait to see what you come up with and I'll try to pop in if I can.

Below is the image in its original context on the page (at least that's where I found it): www.freeimage4u.com/ All_BWConstructions.htm
All the material on this site has no copyright claim and may be used freely.

shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Churchyard

Harry Buschman

Sally Livingston was buried here today. Her grave is new – fragrant flowers and footprints – one would think she was a bride.

It’s been so long since someone’s been buried here, one would almost think some new and magic elixir had been developed and eliminated the need for death. Sally will bring us news of our children and our children’s children. “What is Greenfield like these days? ... we’ve forgotten, you see.”

I remember some things. I remember summer and the concerts that came to town and played on the village green. I remember going off on vacation and being happy to come home again. I remember Christmases and birthdays, but I remember these things as they used to be – “Are they still the same, Sally?”

You see, our lives are bounded by the churchyard and though we have limitless horizons now, we still remember Greenfield – when a tree dies. its roots live on.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: The Cemetery (WC 500) Reply with quote

Well, I'm still on vacation, but managed to get some limited internet access. I thought I'd take the time to post this and see what you think. Next week's image might be a little late, but it will come. Wink

Thanks for taking a look.

shadowlight

The Cemetery
© Marlicia Fernandez (WC 500) 6-28-06

The Year 20045

I stop my car in front of my newest acquisition. What possessed me to make such a purchase? I’m not a believer and graveyards make me uncomfortable. Yet, here I am, deed and key in my pocket. A chill prickles my skin. Could anyone actually live here?

The car idles. I shut off the ignition and open the door. Better take a look at what I’ve bought. Maybe, if I’m lucky, I can sell it and break even on the transaction.

The real estate agent assured me no one visits and that the church remains empty even on Sundays, the last of the local believers long since dead and buried according to their custom.

That would be comforting but for one thing. The property is not uncared for. The bushes are trimmed, the lawns manicured and the headstones maintained in good, if not pristine, condition. That comes as a surprise. No one respects the dead anymore; in fact many don’t even respect the living unless something can be gained from that respect.

Ok, that’s a cynical thought, but I live in cynical times. I wish that wasn’t the case, but there it is. How can it be otherwise when all anyone believes is what can be seen, touched and explained; that people are born on a whim, live for no apparent reason and die without making any difference to anyone?

The church is surrounded by the final resting places of those who thought otherwise; their names and important information etched in stone above their heads. I envy their apparent peace.

A glance at my surroundings tells me the agent hasn’t lied. It is a pretty building nestled among the aesthetically placed markers. It would make an admirable and quiet home.

My neighbors, if one believes in such things as the afterlife, will keep visitors away while I try to figure out why I should continue living if my only end is to die with nothing to show for having lived.

The wooden door dwarfs me and my hand shakes as I try to insert the large antique key into the lock. Should a non-believer enter? I’d heard churches and cemeteries were built on blessed soil. What if that ‘s true? Would something horrible happen if I entered?

Doubtful.

But my concern remains.

The door opens on silent hinges, reminding me of care given by persons unknown. Sunlight pours through stained glass windows illuminating the pictures they contain. They mesmerize me. I follow them until I come to a raised table. A cross, with a man hanging from it, graces the wall behind it. A quick review of my historical mythology tells me it’s a crucifix, but I can’t remember what it stands for.

My eyes return to the table. A book rests on it, faded gold lettering naming the volume a Bible. Curious, I pick it up. Anticipation sweeps over me. Unpacking can wait. I sit on one of the many wooden benches, open the Bible and begin to read.

[end]

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

It's good to see you back. Smile I hope you enjoyed your vacation.

I really like this. It's such a sweet tale, althought the reference to flowers and brides made me wonder if she was indeed a bride. If that is the case then the tale is bittersweet. Interesting how people inside the graveyard wait for news from their past lives from those recently deceased arrivls. Interesting point of vew. I liked it.

marlicia

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God, after 18000 years!! Still driving cars! Churches still standing! Such is the power of good writing – anything is possible. Let's hope the new owner is able to read the Bible and understand it. Very imaginative in my view, Marliciia – the use of present tense was a smart move.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Harry,

I did a typo. It's supposed to be 2075, not 20075. Very Happy Laughing

THankyou so much for reading this so quickly and for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

Sorry so short, but my husband's waiting for me to go sightseeing.

Thanks again. You made my day.

Marlicia

DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Harry. The Voice was a bit quiet while you were gone.

Even with limitless horizons in the hereafter, it's good -- or bad depending upon what we've done -- to know we will still remember our past.

Marlicia, is this activity on your VACATION fair to your poor husband!!

You might want to rethink making the date so close to the present. What you're suggesting will take more than seventy years, won't it?
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on this for me. I appreciate it.

As for my husband, LOL, he was in conferences all day so I used the time to write, and for a few hours on one day, get online. Wink He got all my attention when he was available to me. Very Happy

Your observation about the date is a valid one. I will probably increase the number of years between now and then...but not as much as the 18000 years my typo produced. LOL Thanks for reading.

Marlicia
BTW, can't wait to see your take on this prompt, and/or maybe the next one?

Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd looked at plenty of other necropolises but this cemetary had seemed the most inviting -- it had a homely air about it. The people in the surrounding area seemed thankfully behind on their knowledge of the undead. It could be a real pain trying to invest in some real estate when you were one of the unliving.
They'd checked out a few of the tourist spots, but Sunnydale was a no go and Salem's Lot was crawling with loads of Van Helsing wannabes. Herrold batted at a fly that was troubling and pulled back the stone lid on the mausoleum: he wanted to get out and stretch his legs.
The dusky light was beautiful, the trees whispered to him. Yes, they had found a place that they could finally settle. He and his dearly beloved. He had saved for her for an age. It was not easy work -- renanimating the wife. But here they could stay and people wouldn't be trying to slay them. At least that was what he hoped.
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

Location: Trapped in my own imagination... and wherever it may take me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed your story, Shadowlight. Not even going to try to do this one. lol
I'll wait for the next pic you put up to write something else. I made the mistake of reading the stories before writing for this one.

I look forward to seeing more of everyone's stuff!
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychoreader,

You appear to be new to the Voice. Welcome! Very Happy

I see you have posted a story or two on the boards and hope to take a look soon. (Things are a bit hectic for me this time of year.)

Thank you for the kind words regarding my story. They are very much appreciated. I look forward to reading your work and will post an image soon (usually on Sundays.)

Once again, welcome.

shadowlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: