- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 29 - The Inn

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 29 - The Inn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: 500 X 29 - The Inn Reply with quote

I thought I'd post a little fantasy (or perhaps you can get something else out of it?) I can't wait to read what you come up with.

copywrite Larry Elmore
Larry Elmore Official Site
http://www.larryelmore.com/index.htm

shadowlight

Psychoreader
Poster Pro

Location: Trapped in my own imagination... and wherever it may take me

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: A Day on the Job Reply with quote

Oh, yay! I get to be the first one with a story on here.
This was a hard one to write something on, Shadowlight! Here is my attempt everyone:

A Day on the Job

Fire balls dazzled on the trees, accompanied by sparkling gold nuggets, and the greens of the season before. The abodes resting among the leaves made the scene all the more picturesque.

It was going to be a good season for the Inn of the Last Home.

“No! No! You messed it up again, Maquo! How many times must I repeat the instructions for you, morons!”

A shrill voice broke the beauty of the scene.

Liyeff sighed and leaned up against the Inn’s sign. His wife, Evilla, gripped his arm in sympathy.

“Give it a rest, Svedai,” Liyeff told the small owner of the voice, “We’ve been at work for 36 hours straight. Cut us some slack; we’re only human.”

“You and Evilla are only human,” the small elf snapped in reply, “Maquo is a dwarf.”

“Ohh. Sorry. Big difference,” muttered the Liyeff. Evilla’s grip on her husband’s arm tightened. He threw her a tight smile in response.

Svedai was a brand-new project manager. Her coworkers already missed the calm ordered way that Alain O’Larson had handled things. Svedai freaked out over small setbacks and did not understand how to creatively use her subordinates’ many talents.

“What’s the problem this time, Svedai?” Among Evilla’s talents was personal relations. She had been given a real challenge since Svedai had taken over the company. Evilla winced at the idea of the confrontation that constantly threatened actually coming to fruition. So she was constantly ready to smooth things over, even if it meant ignoring some of her own gripes.

“That section is supposed to be purple!” Svedai wailed, pointing at the specs in her hand, and then at their project “AND we’re running behind schedule!”

“We’re out of purple,” Maquo showed the elf his box of colors, “Liyeff ordered some more a couple hours ago. It should arrive soon. Then we can finish the job.” There was an edge in his voice that dared her to make an issue of it.

“Relax, Svedai, you’re doing fine,” Evilla soothed, releasing her husband’s arm to take a hold of the small elf’s shoulder, “It’s the last tree we have to paint.” She led Svedai around the inn’s grounds to point out the beauty of the masterpiece as they had worked it out so far.

Maquo and Liyeff exchanged looks of irritation mixed with admiration.

“You’ve got a gem there, Liyeff,” the dwarf told the young man, “don’t you dare let her go.”

Pride showed in Liyeff’s handsome visage as his eyes followed the two women. “Not even death himself could take her from me,” he swore.

The men went back to work, thinking good thoughts of the Evilla. Painting the earth for autumn was a difficult enough job already without their task manager going of the edge.

Within a few hours the project was over, and Autumn commenced -- the rest of the population oblivious to the work that went into making their world beautiful.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Psychoreader!

Your debut is very promising… Cool

I think that it is very difficult to create a fantasy world in a story. Your imagination must be special. As for me, I can’t think up such stories about dwarfs, or elves, or wizards, or dragons, and so on. So I admire your abilities in the matter.

I like the structure of the text. I think of the dialogues. I noticed with great interest that I may translate exactly the English expressions into Polish.
The dialogues are very interesting because the personal relations between the human and the other creatures are exciting - a mixture of “irritation mixed with admiration”, briefly put.

Jolanta Smile
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all your kind comments.
They make me very happy. Very Happy
I can't wait to see your next work so I can reply once more in kind. Have a beautiful remainder of your Sunday.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: The Inn (WC 500) Reply with quote

Sorry I'm so late with this. For some reason this prompt was difficult for me. Hmm...odd. LOL

Anyway, better late than never, I guess. Smile

shadowlight

The Inn
© Marlicia Fernandez (8-18-06)(WC 500)

“Do you think anyone will come?” Sara stood back and observed their handy-work. “We want to attract both adults and children.”

Matthew leaned on the newly painted sign. “If the people see it, they’ll stop.” A grin spread across his face. “The misspelled words will strike them as humorous and they’ll be intrigued by our appearances.

“Why do I always have to be the dwarf?” Ted grumbled. “I understand Sara being the innkeeper’s wife, but why do you always get to be the innkeeper?”

Matthew rolled his eyes. “Now how would it look to have a six foot dwarf and a four foot innkeeper?” He winked at Sara. “And no one would believe she’s your wife anyway.”

Ted shook his paintbrush at Matthew. “But she is my wife, and don’t you forget it.”

Sara knelt beside her diminutive husband and kissed his bearded cheek. “So you are. Why do you let my brother torment you so?”

“Yeah, why do you, oh short one?”

“Lisle,” Ted sputtered.

“Can it, dearest cousin, you know I love you.” Her ponytail bounced behind her as she bounded to them. She pulled out a large piece of newsprint. “I’ve got news.”

Sara drew herself closer to Matthew and Ted pulled the messenger and the message closer. “It looks like advertisement for one of those roving fantasy role playing games humans are so fond of,” the dwarf said.

“When?” Sara asked.

Matthew’s eyes glittered. “Will there be whole families?”

“Whole families for an entire week, many staying overnight.” Lisle glanced at her family and then at the buildings nestled in the trees. “They’ll begin arriving tomorrow. Will the arrangements be finished before then?” Her stomach rumbled. “We haven’t eaten in four moon cycles and my reserves are getting low.”

Ted flicked his paintbrush at her. “Why don’t you check it out for yourself, pip-squeak?”

She stuck her tongue out at him. “Maybe I will, but first, tell me, how do I look?” Lisle twirled in a slow circle. “Do I look the part?”

“You look perfect,” Sara smiled, showing glowing white teeth and just a glimpse of the long retractable fangs that would enable her to feed on the unwary. “No one will suspect you are not a child helping with the fantasy game. Have you got the booth set up?”

Lisle nodded, “I do, but first I’m going to check buildings. I know yours are perfect because you’ve done the arrangements, but sometimes I prefer something a little special for my meals-. I mean, guests.” With that pronouncement she turned on her heel to make her inspection and last minute preparations for the upcoming feast.

“If anyone can bring the humans here, Lisle can.” Matthew looked after her with affection. “She knows what she’s doing, and if they seem reluctant she will sell them a little lemonade…”

Sara and Ted’s laughter mingled with Matthew’s. “And no one can resist Lisle’s lemonade. By tomorrow night we’ll have a full house…and a full table.”

[end]

Last edited by shadowlight on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychoreader,

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you on this and to give you an official welcome. So here is first the second.

WELCOME

and the first:

I really enjoyed this. It is a very creative take on the prompt. I will never look at Autumn (my favorite season, by the way) the same way again. Smile

All of your characters have wonderful, individual voices and the story was fun to read. As Jolanta said, a very nice debut to our club. Glad you're with us.

Keep up the good work,
shadowlight

Psychoreader
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever vampires -- oh dear!

Very amusing, Shadowlight! Wink

And thanks for the second welcome. Happiness is now mine... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: