- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Words with same sound, different spellings and meanings

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Words with same sound, different spellings and meanings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Art and Craft of Writing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Words with same sound, different spellings and meanings Reply with quote

And words with same spelling, different sounds, different meanings. In the English language there are words that are spelled the same, but have different pronunciations and meanings. Polish - The elderly Polish man polished the table using a French polish.

There are also many words that sound the same and have different spellings and meanings.

Im eager to add more, if you have one add it to a responce and I will put it in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ate - I ate my lunch at the park today.
Eight - I counted eight squirrels while I was there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue - My favourite days are when the sky is blue.
Blew - The wind blew very hard this morning, but the sky was blue.
Bare - Some people like to have bare feet in the summer.
Bear - I wouldn't want to step in bear poop with bare feet.
Board - There is a board missing from our tall wooden fence.
Bored - Some of the kids were bored, but I was excited!
Beets - We pickled beets from the garden last fall.
Beats - The drummer beats the drum in time to the music.
Bore - He might have to bore a hole in that wall. or Does the teacher bore you?
Boar - Maybe a boar could make the hole with its tusks.
Born - I was born in the month of August.
Borne - The weight of a child is borne with love.
Be - I will be going home later.
Bee - The bee stung my brother.
Bea - This Bea is a proper name for a female person.
Bred - That horse was bred only for racing.
Bread - We use bread to make a sandwich.
Dear - I started the letter by saying "Dear Jane."
Deer - We saw a deer at the edge of the forest yesterday.
Dour - The woman was not pleased; her expression was dour.
Dower - Men used to seek dower rights to a new bride from her father.
For - My friend got flowers for me today.
Fore - Fore is usually a prefix meaning 'front,' like foreground or forehead.
Four - There were four pink carnations and four yellow roses in the bouquet.
Flour - We used wheat flour to bake the cookies.
Flower - The first flower of spring opened in the garden.
Hall - We hang our coats up in the front hall.
Haul - I will haul the garbage to the dump.
Horse - We rode a horse through the mountain trail.
Hoarse - His voice was hoarse from a sore throat.
Hour - Every hour has sixty minutes.
Our - Our home is very comfortable; it is nice to live there.
Hear - The birds singing in the morning are a pleasure to hear.
Here - There are many birds around here.
It's - It's too wet to go outside today.
Its - The cat sat on the couch licking its paws.
Jim - My oldest brother is named Jim.
Gym - Sometimes we exercise together at the gym.
Knee - The knee joint enables you to bend your leg.
Nee - Mrs. Jones was nee {formerly} Miss Miller.
Kneel - When we pray, we often kneel on our knees.
Neil - Neil Armstrong was one of the first Astronauts.
Know - I don't know why you broke my favourite thing.
No - No, you should not have done that.
Knew - He knew she was going to buy the new car.
New - She has a new car today.
Mite - I am a mite thirsty right now; a sip of water will do.
Might - I might go home right now, or in ten minutes.
Meat - Some people eat meat and other people don't.
Meet - I am going to meet Sarah at the store.
Need - We need to drink water to stay healthy.
Knead - A baker must knead the dough to make bread.
Night - It gets very dark late at night.
Knight - The knight in shining armour rescued the beautiful princess.
Nite - It gets very dark late at nite {commonly used slang}.
One - I only have one computer.
Won - It would be nice if I won another one.
Pour - I am going to pour a glass of milk.
Pore - A pore is a tiny opening in our skin. or Students have to pore over their text books before an exam.
Pried - He pried the lid off the rusty old tin.
Pride - We should always take pride in our work and do our best.
Plate - We eat our dinner off a plate, or we can plate materials with a coating of metal.
Plait - I will plait her hair into braids.
Plane - My sister is flying out to visit in a plane.
Plain - I got a plain, ordinary blue shirt today. or They call the flat country around here the prairie, or the plains.
Pray - Many people pray to God every night.
Prey - A mouse is a cat's favourite prey.
Rode - Johnny rode a bicycle for the first time.
Road - He rode a short way down the road in front of our house.
Red - I am wearing a red sweater.
Read - I read a good book last week.
Rite - A Christian Baptismal ceremony, for instance, is called a 'rite.'
Right - Peter was right {meaning correct}; most people are right handed.
Write - We use our pens, our typewriters, and our keyboards to physically write.
Reed - Sometimes you will see a reed growing in the river.
Read - When you open the Writers-Voice.com, you probably intend to read.
Shoe - I can't find my other shoe; I can't have one bare foot.
Shoo - I told that pesky raccoon to shoo! Get away from my garbage!
Soar - The birds soar high into the blue sky.
Sore - I wonder if their wings get sore from all that work.
Sweet - Chocolate is very sweet.
Suite - I just ate some at my friend's hotel suite.
See - We can see the stars tonight.
Sea - If we were on a ship at sea, we could see them better.
Sees - He sees the full moon in the sky.
Seas - He was on a ship on the high seas...
Seize - until a pirate came to seize control.
Site - This site is designed to give you reading pleasure.
Sight - We hope you enjoyed your first sight of the Writers-Voice.com
Cite - To give evidence in court, you might cite, or quote {read} an excerpt from a document.
Toad - A toad is a small hopping creature, similar to a frog.
Towed - The car was towed away by a huge truck.
There - Tommy and Sarah live next door. I will go there.
Their - Their house is beside mine.
They're - They're not home right now.
To - I'm going to Sarah's house.
Two - She has two computers.
Too - Is that too many?
Where - Where is that new store?
Wear - I wonder what dress I should wear to go there.
Whose - Whose poem was that?
Who's - Who's that standing over there?
Whether - I wonder whether or not I should take my umbrella today.
Weather - The weather forecast is for rain this afternoon.
Wait - We will have to wait until later this afternoon to go to the gym.
Weight - My weight has dropped by ten more pounds.
Waste - I don't like to waste food.
Waist - Sometimes eating too much adds inches to my waist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> The Art and Craft of Writing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: