- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 43 You Tell Me

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 43 You Tell Me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: 500 X 43 You Tell Me Reply with quote

Ok, everyone, here's something a little different. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. Smile

Artist: Alan Rabinowitz
Alan Rabinowitz Illustration:
Illustration Detail of Wizard for Dragon Magazine - Fiction Art
© 2000 Alan Rabinowitz
http://www.fantasy-illustration.com/illustration/wiz_illustration.html

shadowlight

Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little room was hardly ever quiet in the evening so Diana, taking advantage of the soothing silence, reached out for the book she began to read yesterday.

She loved the unreal worlds in the books where characters experienced amazing adventures and wonderful love-affairs, and where their lives seemed to be much more interesting and much simpler than hers own.
She always admired all the elegant women who had enough time to take care of themselves, who could cope with their difficulties and unbelievable obstacles, who could cope with their husbands and children, who had a lot of helpful friends...
She was sure that she couldn’t find any writer who would write a book about her – about the ordinary woman who experienced common days only…

Diane immersed herself in the book so she didn’t hear her husband coming back home.
She shuddered when he yelled at her,
“You’re wasting your time again! You’re still reading the stupidities… You’d better go to the kitchen to prepare something to eat. I am hungry! What a stupid woman…”

Diane looked at her husband. He stank and swayed, falling finally on bed. He went off to sleep immediately.

“Actually I should get accustomed to the everyday sight,” she thought, “But I really can’t.”

She didn’t know how to manage it. Diane loved her husband who ensured his wife favorable conditions in the big, comfort house. In the house she felt like a wild bird in a golden cage.
He was very possessive. As a matter of fact, she became dependent on him imperceptibly.
She realized that she didn’t have any friends except for a few neighbors coming in sometimes for coffee and a chat.
Diane knew that her husband loved her… when he was sober.

She sighed and reached out for the book as if she wanted to find there a wise solution for her own troubles…

J. Cool
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught the grossness of the man in the picture too. He looked like the kind of person who would have Diane for a wife. You have a sharp eye, Jolanta. I think Diane would do well to put her book down and see a lawyer.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, Harry.

I think that some day Diana will write her own book-diray-memoirs to warn other women...

Thank you for reading,
Jolanta Smile
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Retirement Dinner

Harry Buschman

Professor Emeritus taught at Brooklyn Polytechnic nearly forty years. Nobody could learn anything from him – his heart wasn't in it. He reached the mandatory retirement age of sixty-five, and now he could indulge himself in doing what he loved best.

What he wanted most of all was to be a magician, not a teacher. But that's the way things go sometimes, we don't always get what we want. He would have been a good magician, he had a lot of tricks up his sleeve – and he saved his best one for his retirement dinner.

The dinner was long, tiresome and Professor Emeritus had been to so many in the past that his own dinner seemed anticlimactic. He might have had a little too much to drink also, most of the others did.

The time came, of course, for him to make a speech touching on his forty years at Brooklyn Poly and everyone expected the usual tiresome liturgy of a retiring professor boring everyone with his lifetime of recollections of academia. But Professor Emeritus stood up and said he'd like to do a trick for everyone.

All magicians have an assistant, he said, and he chose the dean – a woman he detested down through the years. She was a middle-aged sour-faced academic with black dyed hair. She had been married twice and both her husbands had committed suicide. But she was intensely interested in anything that affected her, and quickly stood – half expecting Professor Emeritus to make a fool of himself.

The professor reached under the table and lifted a prismatic glass object as large as a soup tureen which he placed on the table in front of him. He also withdrew a short purple cape with a hood and from his pocket he produced a silver baton. "I want to show you an astounding example of prestidigitation," he said. "Please watch carefully while I place this beautiful crystal glass container over the head of our esteemed dean." Everyone watched in awe as Professor Emeritus carefully fitted the crystal object on her head. They gasped when her head appeared to be one tenth the size it was before. "Amazing." "Unbelievable." "Breathtaking."

Though only one tenth the size, it was obvious the dean had enough of this nonsense, for she could be heard shouting, "Take this damn thing off, Emeritus – are you trying to make a fool of me?"

"As you wish, Madam," the professor replied. He whisked the crystal container from the head of the dean. To everyone's amazement her head remained one tenth the size it was before.

"Now see what you've done, you old fool. Change me back the way I was!"

"It's only an illusion, dear lady." He turned to the others at the table. "Really. It's only something you think you see ... believe me. Thank you all for a lovely evening." While all eyes were on the unfortunate dean, Professor Emeritus walked out.

Now, three weeks later Professor Emeritus is taking the European tour he promised himself years ago, and the rest of the faculty of Brooklyn Polytechnic is trying to tell themselves the dean is just the way she always was ... but it isn't easy.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I read this story with blushes on my face. This story is wonderfully written. Having read your story, Harry, I realized that a good writer must write well, but a master must both write well and at the same time he/she must intrigue readers by using good ideas.
Your ideas are amazing. And now I am wondering where your source of inspirations is (life, books, movies, night dreams…) Smile

I feel sorry both for the students who were taught by Professor Emeritus for forty years and sorry for the dean.
It is a great story.

J. Cool
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo,

At first, I couldn’t imagine how the picture could have inspired such a sad affair. Then, as I continued to read, I saw the picture illustrated the situation perfectly. And you’ve echoed my own thoughts. I wish someone would write a book “about the ordinary woman who experienced common days only…” I think it would sell.

Harry,

That was funny! I wish Professor Emeritus could take a trip to our university with his magic. I know quite a few people who need a little downsizing! Smile
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Escape (WC 500) Reply with quote

Escape
© Marlicia Fernandez (WC 500) 11-21-06

She shouldn’t have crossed him. They should none of them crossed him.

Theron paced the underground cavern. Scores of crystals gave off a gentle glow – cold, yet comforting. He’d grown old in this place. They’d seen to that, but they hadn't recognized the importance of the crystals. That was their mistake.

The network didn’t lead anywhere, but it strengthened his power and allowed him to see in ways they could never have imagined. He’d kept track of his jailers. The crystals helped with that. As long as he cared for them, they served him.

Theron lifted his hand and the crystals grew brighter, allowing him to see his vast collection. It kept him amused for hours, something very important in his situation. He laughed at that. His situation wasn’t as bad as all that. True, he could go no further than a small piece of ground surrounding his cottage, or the networking caverns below. He’d tried. And tried again, without success. In the end it didn’t matter. In an ironic twist of circumstance, he’d found a way to obtain all that he needed. And all that he desired.

The crystals saw to that.

He walked past the first crystal. A startled cat gazed back at him; its paw pinning a mouse by its tail. A wave of Theron’s hand replayed the chase over and over again to the point where the hunter caught the prey. Other crystals held other animals involved in different activities. A few contained humans, peasants mostly, caught by surprise. Forever caught up in the activity in which he’d captured them.

His favorites were in the last cavern. Theron pulled his cloak tighter. Fueled by revenge, the crystals glowed blue to match the skin of those held inside, chilling everything in the process.

The crystals had told him how to obtain his freedom. Lure his captors to them, with their help. Assured of care and sustenance, his release would be granted. That suited Theron, but all his jailers, or if deceased, their progeny, must imprisoned. These would retain their awareness and they would suffer.

He walked to the viewing crystal. “Show me the last one.”

An image of a young girl, reading a book appeared, startling him. Carlysle? She hadn’t aged a bit. For a moment he wavered. No matter his wife’s betrayal, could he imprison her? Rage swallowed his indecision. She’d let honor and duty come between them. She deserved her fate. The last empty crystal glowed faintly, preparing for the final arrival. A doorway shimmered but did not form.

His way out.

If he took it.

The girl looked up and the words that would imprison her died on his lips. What cruel trick was this? Had Carlysle entered eternity before him? How could he imprison the only thing he loved in the world? How could he sentence his own daughter to a punishment she didn’t deserve?

The door pulsed and the crystal grew brighter. Theron shaded his eyes and opened his mouth to speak.

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolanta,

Want a sad tale. I hope that woman gets the courage to do something about her life. Maybe if she takes a stand, like the women she reads about, her husband will wake up and smell the coffee and start treating her right. It's a wonderful take on the prompt.

I hope she writes that book too. Many women would benefit from it.

Harry,

I loved your tale as well. It made me smile. It sounds like the dean deserved what she got, though I do hope her head will return to normal sometime. LOL Do you know I half expected her head to remain in the crystal with her demanding to be put together again. But the only way the professor could do it was to shrink all of her down and trap her in the 'crystal'. Wink

I think the Professor might have been an amusing teacher, but I don't think I'd want to cross him.

Well done, both of you.

marlicia

Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Marlicia! What a power the crystals have! It appeals to my imagination...
Your take on the prompt fits wonderfully to the picture above. You built an unearthly crystal world.

Thank you, Marlicia and Linda for reading my story and commenting it,

J.
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words, Jolanta. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Very Happy That makes me very happy.

shadowlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: