- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Notso Wise

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notso Wise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Words from the wise
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Notso Wise Reply with quote

Writing is almost always therapeutic and liberating for the writer; the result is almost never art.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: notso wise Reply with quote

I think writing that used as therapy can make good art as well. But it may have to be tweaked or revised a bit first. My first poem that was published on the web (Falling), was a piece of writing I used as therapy. It also made and still makes good art obviously. Perhaps what you wrote IS wise after all? Who knows, t.t.y.l. Cool
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some would argue that almost anything produced is art; what is art and what is not is in the eye of the viewer.

Another way of looking at what was said is to say that what we create is almost always therapeutic and liberating to us who produce it, but rarely do we produce lasting art.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Re:DaveR's post Reply with quote

Hmmm, interesting way of saying it I think....you could also say that what we write for therapy etc...we don't want to publish or share with others and therefore don't consider art, but therapy only. Very interesting topic this has become don't you think? Cool
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If art is therapy it's not very good therapy. There's an army of writers, painters and musicians who have died while practicing it. Some people have talent, some people are mad, some people are both talented and mad. I think the conditions operate independently.
DaveR
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very interesting. A mental health expert (a shrink) might ask the question: Is there a correlation between madness and the creators of great art?

Van Gogh comes to mind in the visual arts. He was mad and he produced great art. I wonder if it was therapeutic or liberating while he was in the act of creating his great paintings.

Of course not all great writers and artists were mad---or were they?
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Mad Artists Reply with quote

Hmmm, that's a very interesting question that you posed Dave! I wonder if about that too...this theory also applies to modern day musicans as well. Many are happy somewhat normal people (they are celebrities after all). While others seem like complete lunatics....but this could apply to us writers as well. I wonder what everyone else thins. I think not all of us artists are truly mad. But who knows, perhaps I'm wrong as well? There's my 2 cents worth for today. Cool
Paul Grimsley
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Notso Wise Reply with quote

DaveR wrote:
Writing is almost always therapeutic and liberating for the writer; the result is almost never art.

Writing makes the writer. The writer makes the writing. Is the art in the creation of the writer or the writing? One piece may not seem like art but it may have worked something of importance in the writer. You could take Duchamp's position and say that art is whatever you say it is. That kind of relativism works to a degree, but does this art have to be good art or bad art? Is bad art really art? Doggerel has its place alongside poetry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Words from the wise All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: