- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - 500 X 48 Statue

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

500 X 48 Statue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: 500 X 48 Statue Reply with quote

Here you go, everyone. I hope you have fun with this one. I know I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Pertinent info:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mortonfox/253483633/in/photostream/

Merry Christmas, all.

shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limbo

Harry Buschman

A man in dirty clothes is squatting by the entrance. "You're not going in there, are you?"

An impeccably dressed gentleman replies, "Why yes, aren't you?"

"Not me, You won't catch me going in there."

"Why not? That's what we're here for, aren't we?"

"I'm gonna stay right here. Gonna stay here as long as I can."

"How long have you been here – you don't mind me asking, do you?"

"No, I don't mind. Ask all you want ... there's no answer to a question like that anyways. I mean night never comes, the weather don't change none, you don't eat neither – and it's quiet. Gawd a'mighty is it ever quiet."

"Sounds pretty boring to me."

"Helluva lot better than what'cha may find inside."

"You really can't be the judge of that, can you?" He cranes his neck and peers inside. "Looks perfectly safe to me. I'm going in."

"Don't forget, Y'ain't allowed to come back out again."

"Why would anyone want to? Look for yourself – beautiful pathway going around the bend. Green pastures." He looks back at the first man. "What were you – I mean back there – where we came from?"

"I forget. Might'a been the Archbishop of Canterbury, or a song and dance man in a two-a-day in Soho. Might'a been nuthin at all." He looks down at his hands. "Guess I worked hard – there's calluses. And look'a them shoes! Them's high button work shoes, not like them fancy polished loafers of yours." He looks down at the second man's shoes. "Is them tassels I see?"

"I think I know your problem."

"What problem? I ain't got a problem."

"You've had a hard life. Touch and go all the way. Sweat and tears. You're satisfied just hanging around the entrance – you're thinking it can't be as good as this inside, aren't you?"

"Well now, ain't you the smart one ... you know all about me. Never seen me before and y'know all about me. Look at you in yer fancy shoes and yer double breasted blue serge suit. Would'na surprised me if you come out here in a Lincoln town car with a chauffeur and all." He laughs long and hard. "You had it as good as it gets. If I was you, I'd stay out there as long as y'can."

The impeccably dressed gentleman shows signs of doubt. "You have a point. I hadn't considered that – you don't mind if I stay here with a bit, do you?"
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

Location: Trapped in my own imagination... and wherever it may take me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is rather predictable, I'm afraid, y'all. But it's all I could get out of it. Hope you enjoy!

Witness
What a strangely appropriate spot for a murder.

It was an odd thought, but it was the first one that occurred to Officer Downs upon coming on the scene.

The body lay on a small grassy area in front of a residential area, one of the few nice ones in the city. A sad-eyed stone eagle looked straight ahead, over the body. It was almost as if the frozen creature was replaying a nightmare in its mind and was afraid to get confirmation of the facts by looking down.

Downs stepped around the body to look up at the statue. He put his hand on its surface, which was cold in spite of the sunny day. "What have you seen?" he murmured, studying it intently.

“Not many clues. As yet, no witnesses. Just a body.” Downs jumped. Then he realized that it was his partner, Keria Carns, who answered him. He looked down sheepishly at where she was crouched beside the body. She had gloves on, but as yet she hadn’t touched it.

Downs threw one more glance at the stone bird before squatting down next to Carns. “No one taking a walk with his dog? No mother out with a stroller? This is a residential area, Keria. Someone must have seen something.”

Carns rolled her eyes at him. “This is also one of the most dangerous cities in our state, if not in the US, Bill. These people might have a nice place to live, but that doesn’t make them safe. That makes them targets.”

“Point taken,” Downs acknowledged with a grimace. He missed the small town where he had grown up on days like this. “What is the probable cause of death?”

His partner shrugged. “No one has looked at the body yet except the doc. He’s compiling his report now. He returned the body to the way it was found so we could get a basically untarnished crime scene to work from.”

“We’re here,” Downs shrugged, “let’s do what we do best. Let’s tarnish and get the lowdown.”

Carns grabbed the shoulders of the corpse and Downs helped her turn it over. The victim had been a pretty young blonde, no older than Bill’s own daughter. His stomach churned as he took in the awful gashes. They didn’t look like normal knife cuts. They looked more painful.

“Wow,” he whispered in a choked voice. He forced himself to look away, to catch his breath. This isn’t Julie…

His wandering eyes caught a glimpse of the eagle’s sad eyes again. What have you seen? If only you could tell us what happened here!
Out of the corner of his eye, Downs could see Carns receiving a report from the police doctor. Her eyes widened upon reading it. “You aren’t going to believe this, Bill…”

He tore his gaze from the statue. “Try me.” They would hunt this guy down and made sure he paid for this…

His insides grew cold as she spoke. “Repeat that?” he demanded hoarsely.

“Bill, it looked like she was pecked to death.”

Psychoreader
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting story, Harry. Will the nicely-dressed man ever take the chance, I wonder? WHAT WAITS ON THE OTHER SIDE?
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might seem predictable to you but I never would have guessed it – neither did the two police officers. A dandy of a solution to this tough prompt, Psycho. Have an egg nog on me – Merry Christmas.
Heidi
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: stories Reply with quote

Harry I enjoyed your story I too wonder what's on the other side? Psychoreader I liked yours and while it may seem predictable but I didn't see it coming! I liked them both a lot. Well I'll be sure to post mine soon, in the meantime Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to everyone at the Writer's Voice! Cool
shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Free As A Bird (WC 500) Reply with quote

Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope you're enjoyinig your Christmas Eve/Day and it brings you everything you desire both materially and otherwise. Wink I'm posting my take on the prompt since I don't know if I'll be on tomorrow.

Thanks for taking a look.
shadowlight

Free as a Bird
© Marlicia Fernandez 12-24-06 (WC 500)

It seems I’ve always dreamed of freedom. From my window I’d watch birds soar through the pale blue sky and I longed to be one of them. Sometimes they threaded the clouds like needles through cotton. I used to tell myself they were seeding rain or playing hide and seek with the sun.

I used to do that.

Another lifetime ago.

Before Gregor took me as his wife and established me in his beautiful manner home.

At first I was captivated. The gardens and grounds stretched for miles. Two high, stone walls, divided by a moat, surrounded acres of farm and forest interspersed with streams. Gregor said it was to keep intruders out.

I believed him.

I explored for hours, happily discovering trails, watching wildlife, gardening, reading and writing. But I wanted to share my adventures with someone. Gregor was rarely home and the only people I saw with any regularity were servants and the postman. Life became lonely.

One day, desperate for company, I tried to go into the village. I didn’t get very far before I was brought back by guards I hadn’t realized existed. I was a prisoner in my new home. Even my gifts were limited. Teleportation and shifting only worked within the grounds or in the mansion. When I confronted Gregor, he told me it was for my own safety.

I disagreed and begged him to let me have some freedom.

I think it hurt him to know I was unhappy, but he did grant me one concession. He allowed me to choose one of the many forms into which I could change. One day a week I could shift to that form and leave our home. The only catch; I must return within twelve hours. And I couldn’t shift to my human form while outside the walls.

It wasn’t all that I’d hoped, but it was better than nothing.

Since I missed the thrill of extended flight and the feel of the wind beneath my wings I chose the form of an eagle.

The day of my first foray into the outside world, Gregor warned me to stay far from people. He didn’t want me hurt or shot down as a trophy. It seemed little enough to ask and I agreed. For many weeks everything went well. I looked forward to my day out and I grew bolder, flying farther and farther afield.

That’s when the hunter saw me. It took me hours to lose him and when I arrived at our outer gate Gregor met me, infinite sadness in his eyes.

“I’m sorry. There was a hunter…” My body grew larger and more rigid, until I could not move. Fear gripped me, but I could not speak.

Gregor turned me so I looked toward the mountains. “I wish it didn’t have to end this way, but my magic could only protect you for short periods. Now you will be forever a monument to your quest for freedom. That quest has imprisoned you forever.”

[the end]

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

I really enjoyed your story. I wonder what the two gentleman will find if they ever go inside and what are they afraid of? One seems to believe the grass is greener on the other side, wherever that may be. The other doesn't seem to subscribe to that philosophy. And yet the 'rich man' doubts and decides to wait a while with the other. Will they go inside or won't they? Can they stay at the entrance forever or will some sort of special policeman tell them to 'move on'. Very interesting tale. It kept my interest and I really liked it.

Psychoreader,

I thought this was a nice, original take on the prompt and you had me going until you mentioned the unusual gashes. That got me thinking, even though I wasn't sure. I thought it was a very nice twist on the story and I enjoyed the piece immensely. Well done.

Merry Christmas all,

shadowlight

Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was afraid of ... a little freedom is a dangerous thing. Smart piece of writing Shadow – good control of the plot kept you from flying off the handle,
Psychoreader
Poster Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We think alike, Shadowlight -- I almost wrote something similar! Laughing

Well, done. I liked the POV.

Poor girl! I'm not sure if I like Gregor very much... Mad

shadowlight
Valued Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,

Thanks for taking a look at my little story and for your kind words. It seems, as you said, that a little freedom can indeed be a dangerous thing. At least in certain places. I've been asked about the backstory, but I'm not sure what the situation is there. I'll have to think about it. Smile

Psychoreader,
Really? That's strange, LOL. But I guess the image lends itself to that kind of response, especially if you write fantasy or sci-fi. Glad you enjoyed it and liked the POV.

Thanks again to both of you.

shadowlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> "The 500 Words Project -- Flash Fiction" All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: