- The Writers Voice - :: View topic - Looking Ahead by Harry Buschman

- The Writers Voice - Forum Index - The Writers Voice -
Everyone welcome to participate.
Let your voice be heard.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking Ahead by Harry Buschman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Looking Ahead by Harry Buschman Reply with quote

Harry,

You are truly a master story-teller.

...this strange tenement apartment...furniture was second-hand, shabby and out of style. The wall paper was stained dark around the light switches and blackened above the old-fashioned cast iron radiators.

I felt the damp chill and musty smell of old rooms...

...a place in her mind she associated with poverty and unhappiness.

Thanks for bringing me back to the late 50's and 60's! I love you Harry.

Linda
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a vision I'll never forget, Linda. I grew up in such a place in the Great Depression.
Linda
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was born right at the end of the depression, so, while my parents managed to move into the suburbs, and provide a middle class environment, the older homes and tenements (especially in Houston) were still around. I hit my teenage years in the mid sixties (1964). By then, the older rundown places were all we (those of us trying to be free) could afford. I remember earning minimum wage ($1.65 an hour), paying rent on one-half of a duplex, paying utilities, buying groceries, and still having $ 1.25 a week left over for lunch. I bought a cold drink and pack of crackers each day. The old apartment had a space heater that leaked and almost killed all of us.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry,
your story is something like “Alice in Wonderland” for adult women.
Well, it’s life itself. I’m wondering how many women would leave their boyfriends if they only could look deeply into their mirrors…
But women at 33 should be wise enough to look deeply into their minds, not only into their hearts (and calendars). There are some signs (facts) which cannot be disregarded, I think.
I like your style of writing here. It suits perfectly the woman.
Hah, I am wondering if she answered the call if she was at 43…
I like this story very much.
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> >I am wondering if she answered the call if she was at 43… <<

That would change things, wouldn't it? Stanley would be older too, and whatever failings he has now would be deeply rooted by then. The relationship might not have not reached the point where Faye is thinking of him as a husband.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that older women are more desperate not to be lonely and that is why they can be blind and deaf. Older women may feel that something is out of reach for ever. Some women can tolerate many things to set up home at last.

Besides, we can observe both young and older women with their future husbands who are potential brutes or drunks...
I wish every woman had such a magic mirror.

Such mirrors could be very useful in many other situations; when we choose a job, for example, or when we meet people on our way, or when we plan (bring up) children...
Harry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a story for you Jolanta. Call your heroine 'Alice' – a girl whose mother died young and left her with a brute of a father ... she wavers between staying with him or marrying a man named Stanley, who in some ways, reminds her of her father.
Jolanta
Valued Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some psychologists say that girls often choose their husbands resembling their fathers even though their fathers are brutes or drunks.
They say that it happens to them because the girls choose something familiar (behavior) to them to feel safe (!)
I know personally such girls, unfortunately…

The idea about a new story with Alice is very exciting…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    - The Writers Voice - Forum Index -> Feedback Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: